PDA

View Full Version : noob with afew questions please :-)

buffybaskey
24-08-2010, 02:15 AM
Hello, i am just thinking of starting to try some polymer clay. i want to make my little girl some earrings, and have a few questions that im hoping you could help me with :-) i want to make her some cupcakes and a piece of her rainbow cake that i made her for her birthday, i have found some flat silver posts but im wondering how i atach them, is it just normal super glue? also do you need any other "glue" to make the fimo stick together? there will be layers, is it like sugar paste that stick quite well or will i need some liquid fimo? im getting a start pack, with a few tools and half blocks to see how i get on, and hoping i can get the temp right lol,

dawnb
24-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Unbaked clay will stick together, just make sure it feels quite secure, and then you just bake it, and it will be fine. I think you only need some kind of liquid clay if you have already baked some clay and want to add some more clay to it?? Haven't done it but think I read it somewhere once :) As for the glue I'm not sure, haven't used any with my clay, someone will know though, sure they will let you know soon :)

Planty28
24-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Can you not poke the posts into the clay before baking? That's what I do (sometimes) with art clay silver and it's sort of the same thing isn't it?

buffybaskey
24-08-2010, 04:09 PM
thanks Dawn :-) Planty im not too sure i did think of that but was worried that the silver would melt in the oven as it is such a soft metal?? xxx

AnnieAnna
25-08-2010, 11:39 AM
You need a lot of heat to melt silver. I don't think an oven will touch it. But are your posts really silver.....?

ejralph
25-08-2010, 06:11 PM
There are two problems with embedding an earring post into the clay directly:

1. Clay and metal do not actually bond, so you would still need to remove the post after baking and glue it back into place to be secure. Can be messy and look gloopy too.

2. Polymer clay is not hugely structurally strong. If there were too much leverage applied to the earring post, the action could chip and break the clay around it and work it loose.

For those reasons, I tend to avoid putting posts directly into clay if making stud earrings and use glue on flatback earring posts.

They can be glued with superglue, but it is better to use a two part epoxy like araldite. Scratch up the two surfaces that are to be glued together with a little rough sandpaper first and clean off any dust well with a wipe of meths or similar. When the meths has evaporated, apply the glue as per instructions and glue the flatback earring post to the clay.

Out of interest, the metal - be it silver or plated - would survive the baking process fine. Polymer clays are baked at very low temperatures - even paper can survive the baking process for polymer clays!

However, you should always use a thermometer to check the oven isn't overheating.

Emma

buffybaskey
28-08-2010, 12:26 AM
yep hun 925, my little one has funny skin cant cance anything else :-) xx

buffybaskey
28-08-2010, 12:29 AM
thank you so much hun, yes i have flatback so will go with the gluing after and thank you with the type of glue to use :-) will post pics once ive had a play thanks everyone :-) xxx