PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my beads now I have all the tools of the trade!

microburt
13-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Well my pasta machine and extruder, etc, have revolutionised my bead making and here are some examples of my beads... Any opinions/ advice/ suggestions?

A xx

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_f1SSMW77zS4/TGUys8hJMMI/AAAAAAAAAI8/R7YaPjftZLo/s1600/IMG_3373v2.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_f1SSMW77zS4/TGUyt_Uri3I/AAAAAAAAAJA/xAv85gfBSX0/s1600/IMG_3376v2.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f1SSMW77zS4/TGUyuW94bfI/AAAAAAAAAJE/HFfchF4Ys24/s1600/IMG_3372v2.jpg

Lilac Moon
13-08-2010, 01:06 PM
ooh well done those are fantastic..

AliCat
13-08-2010, 01:39 PM
They look great. I'm no expert but they are winners to me!

Lottihr
13-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Oh yes, very nice indeed. I keep thinking, oh I don't need a pasta machine or an extruder, but looking at these I think I do. Love the blue and black ones. :)

microburt
13-08-2010, 03:01 PM
They are both extremely useful, esp the pasta machine IMO. Also, good blades! A x

ladyluckjewellery
13-08-2010, 06:07 PM
They're lovely!! The second set are my faves but I do love aqua blue!!!

Claire

celticmix
13-08-2010, 08:36 PM
The colours are just amazing. Not started working with polymer yet, but these make me want to even more!

microburt
13-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Should have said that decent sandpaper has also revolutionised my stuff. I am addicted to it and am neglecting my other duties! Like painting the lounge and stuff...

MornieG Jewellery
13-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Amanda, beautiful beads, you must be so pleased. Lets see more. Mo.XX

Jonesi
14-08-2010, 01:09 AM
They look fab, especially as they're lentils too, I find them near impossible to make!

microburt
14-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks! I roll it into balls first and then use a piece of glass to make bi-cones and then lentils. I saw a tutorial on it- maybe on YouTube? They still aren't as uniform as I would like. What shapes do you make? I don't mind doing rounds but am daunted by the thought of sanding them! xx

ejralph
14-08-2010, 09:21 AM
HI Amanda!

I think your beads are lovely - I adore the colours of the first one. Those earthy, organics are my sort of colours. The second set are lovely too - they have real impact as the contrast between the colours is so strong. Very vibrant indeed.

I would urge you to not use glass to make your lentils though. Please consider getting an acrylic sheet or block instead. Glass can break unexpectedly and you have a lot of very vital, very fragile nerves and tendons in your hands. It really is not advisable to use glass.

Emma

Lottihr
14-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Where can you get the acrylic sheets from, been looking everywhere? :)

microburt
14-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Funnily enough, I have just ordered an acrylic sheet! But don't worry, the glass is extremely thick- it is a candle stand, if you know what I mean. I have ordered my sheet from clayaround.com.

A xxx

ladyluckjewellery
15-08-2010, 04:52 PM
'fraid I'm another reckless one who uses glass to make lentils :o although it is a toughened glass coster, I've dropped it a couple of times on a laminate floor with no damage so hopefully it should be strong enough, although I really should get an acrylic sheet as I do make a lot of lentil beads so I might be pushing my luck!!

The worst I've heard of is people using a glass (as in a drinking glass tumbler) to roll clay out :o:o:o - I don't now about anyone else, but I use quite a lot of pressure sometimes to roll out a sheet of clay, and I don't think glass is all that strong.

BTW Amanda, those lentils look a nice uniform shape to me, it is hard to get them exactly the same though isn't it?

Claire

ejralph
15-08-2010, 07:08 PM
I think it is just one of those "better safe than sorry" things.

YOu only get one set of hands, one set of eyes and one set of lungs. So my feeling is, better to prevent problems rather than cure.

For that reason, I really abhor the idea of ANY type of glass being used as any tool for polymer clay work. I know a little bit about glass, enough to know it can be unpredictable and break suddenly. It doesn't always do as it is told. Why take the risk.

The other reason I always mention safety if I see people using glass is this: You might well be using a piece of glass that is HIGHLY unlikely to break etc. But there could be several people who read your post, skim it - maybe don't apply a good dose of common sense and then go out and try to use a sheet of 3 mm window glass to roll their lentils.

From their point of view - no problem, because they read how to do it on a forum... so I always feel compelled to make mention that glass is a bad idea. Not because I am trying to preach or tell anyone off. Just wanting to always throw the message out there whenever possible.

I feel exactly the same about anyone using a dremel or bench polisher without safety goggles too ;-)

When there are way safer alternatives, like acrylic blocks (http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93_150&products_id=3742) and acrylic hand rollers (http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93_45&products_id=1647) etc, it just makes sense to opt for that really.

Claire - I agree with you totally. I find it incredible when I see people recommending drinking glasses as rollers. I have even seen this advice written in books too - one crack and your hands could be damaged for life though. It is definitely one of those situations where people are being "penny wise, pound foolish" to try to save money in that way. After all, polymer clay really isn't an expensive medium at the best of times - so people, don't be tight and make sure you never crimp on things that will keep you safe. Protect your hands and your eyes!

Safety lecture over ;=)

Emma

microburt
15-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks Emma- you are right though! I am looking forward to getting my acrylic sheet.

Claire- glad they look uniform! I find it sooo frustrating trying to get them the same. i think that bigger beads are easier somehow?

A x

claireybear
16-08-2010, 09:17 AM
They are gorgeous, and look absolutely perfect!

microburt
16-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks! I am also equipped with a book and have just ordered a Dremel for polishing... Anyone got any experience of sanding using one? X

Bev478
16-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Yea. Either put a box behind the Dremel or get someone to stand there with a catcher's mitt - & safety glasses & hard hat of course. Must think H&S :mf:

bramalfie
17-08-2010, 12:44 AM
They look fab!!

I'm new to polymer clay and I can't wait to have a go at making some lentils when I have a chance, any tips greatly received!!

Ballderdash
17-08-2010, 08:25 AM
They look lovely, I like the first ones especially :)

microburt
17-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Just took pics of a few more! You can see them at my blog- see link in my sig!

a X