PDA

View Full Version : Good camera to take photos with out the need to edit

clayqueen
02-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi i hope you can help me
I am looking for a good camera to take photos of my cake toppers, but do not have all that much to spend
I have noticed a few people mention various cameras that i could afford such as then FUJIFILM FINEPIX S1500 10 MP DIGITAL VIDEO CAMERA FUJI
But they also mention needing to edit, i dont have the capabilities to edit photos and can not afford the software
So i need a camera that would take good quality photos to use to advertise my toppers

Thank you to anyone who can help

Sarah

CarolineL
02-08-2010, 01:28 PM
I have to say, there are free programs, Picasa is a good one, it crops, sharpens etc all you need and it isnt complicated. I can really give you any advice on a camera as I dont have much knowledge

MornieG Jewellery
02-08-2010, 01:56 PM
The editing I did on mine ( I assume you read my post as the camera you mention was the one I listed ) was the software already on windows with the computer. Bring the picture up then right click and go into edit or as on mine the 'edit picture' button is already on the top row of icons. Sorry not very computer literate hope that makes sense. Took a while of fiddling with the 'controls' to balance them and I'm sure there are oither programmes that will do it for free. The comments seemed to be ok and people said the pics were clear. I know there is more I can do with the camera but I'm still learning. You can take 10 pictures in a row apparently all the same and each can be different as the light changes. Mo.XX

Critchley
02-08-2010, 02:07 PM
I always use the Windows software, its in Windows Photo Gallery.

MornieG Jewellery
02-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I always use the Windows software, its in Windows Photo Gallery.

Thanks Carol, think that was what I was trying to say as I have windows obviously, doh !!! It's like a foreign language to me computer speak, I got thrown out of the french class for being unteachable :mf:Mo.XX

clayqueen
02-08-2010, 03:02 PM
See how limited my knowledge of all things technical are i thought when i read edited photos that ment photoshop or similar
I never relised you could edit with windows gallery,ive seen pisca but not really looked into it in detail

Thank you so much for your advice as the camera is going on ebay for a price i can afford

All excited and of to bid :-)

AliCat
02-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Good luck!

clayqueen
03-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Bought the FUJIFILM FINEPIX S1500 excitedly waiting for it to arrive :-)

iBeads
03-08-2010, 04:07 PM
This information was very helpful to me, as I really struggle with photographs, but I've tried this and they are much better.

How can I give you a rep point for this?

Annie

The editing I did on mine ( I assume you read my post as the camera you mention was the one I listed ) was the software already on windows with the computer. Bring the picture up then right click and go into edit or as on mine the 'edit picture' button is already on the top row of icons. Sorry not very computer literate hope that makes sense. Took a while of fiddling with the 'controls' to balance them and I'm sure there are oither programmes that will do it for free. The comments seemed to be ok and people said the pics were clear. I know there is more I can do with the camera but I'm still learning. You can take 10 pictures in a row apparently all the same and each can be different as the light changes. Mo.XX

MornieG Jewellery
03-08-2010, 05:34 PM
You are very welcome Annie, that's what's so nice about this forum everyone wants to help, people have been very kind and helpful to me too in the time I have been on here. Appreciate the rep point, click on the star icon at the bottom left of my post. Mo.XX

jazsmom
06-08-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm partial to Canon myself....imo, i'd only go canon

silklink
19-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Hi

I have given a lot of advice on this subject and the camera you have bought is the sort of camera I would advise. Here is a review of it should anyone be interested: (not allowed to post URLs - trusted reviews)

Now, being as this is a craft site, you could also try making yourself a light box. Here is an example: (not allowed to post URLs - put DIY lightbox into Google)

This will enable you to position your cake toppers onto a background colour of your choice - white might not be the best colour for white cake toppers - which in turn will reduce the need to to any major editing on your pics.

If all this looks too deep, try this: on your kitchen worktop try and position a piece of coloured card like that shown in the link I provided. You should be able to curve it from the worktop and up the wall. Next, get yourself an angle-poised lamp with at least a 100W bulb in it. You can buy special 'daylight' bulbs, or you might be able to use the now common long life bulbs that appear more daylight than traditional bulbs.

You can buy the hoops used for stretching material for needlecraft, into which you can put some fine white mesh material like white tights. This will be positioned in front of the light to diffuse it - removing any harsh shadows. Get a helper to simply hold it for you for now rather than trying to get stands etc.

If you have a tripod or can borrow one, great. If not, improvide. Often all that is needed is a small prop onto which you will put your camera. A small saggy cushion or garment works well here to balance your camera.

Set your subject up and get the camera focused - auto settings are good but hopefully your camera will not automatically use flash. We're looking to use the angle-poised lighting which you would position to the left or right of your camera shining down on the subject - sort of front-top lighting.

Use the self-timer mode on your camera. This avoids any shakes when you press the shutter button

Give it a go and mess around a little until you get the lighting correct. You could try with a second light if you have one - this would really help to balance things up

Good luck

kaod55
20-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Hey, I work in a camera shop and the fuji S1500 is a great little camera. You have some manual modes you can use, if u need more flexibility than the auto gives you.
Also, the macro mode will be useful to you, so practise with that.
Take the time to set up your picture so there is less editing afterwards.
If you need any help, give me a shout : )

moonbow
20-08-2010, 01:09 AM
ooooooooooh I have no wings, I know a free dig-ed site gimp. FREE TO DOWNLOAD.

Plenty of tutorials on u-tube, just Google your digi app.

I have studied photography, I still believe itís not the camera itís the taker. Also consider what your images are going to be used for. A canvas print, yes you need a good quality pic. A pic for your web sales NO. Very basic stuff. Just experiment without breaking the bank. Good luck.

flb89
05-10-2011, 06:34 PM
you will probably need to edit a little bit, cropping, brightness etc. really you want to take photos that wont need that much editing anyways the more you edit the less true to the product your image becomes. i would say just get a caemra with a good zoom and a macro setting and lots of pixels!

Mojo_77
07-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Most cameras will give a good result in decent light on the jpeg setting, this means the camera does all the editing itself at the time of shooting. For web use the average size of photo is around 600x 400, so you don't need anything with loads of megapixels. A Macro setting is very useful for small things but most cameras have this anyway. I use a Canon G9 for my website and I never go above the 5mp setting. If you're shooting to print large you may need to increase this.