PDA

View Full Version : Help! It won't go hard!

Stargazer
29-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Hi all, I am very VERY new here, but desperate for help!

I am having a hard time baking my first sculpey project, it won't go hard...what am I doing wrong? It was initially in the oven for 30min, gas mark 1-2, its been in and out since but won't go hard, I've had to give up to put the dinner on! What am I doing wrong :confused:

Any help gratefully received!
Stargazer x

Jonesi
30-07-2010, 02:08 AM
I had a similar problem with Fimo, when taking it out of the oven to test it was still a little "spongey". I left it for ages but it never got any harder so took it out and left it to cool, when cooled it was rock hard, not sure what happened but try taking it out and leaving it to cool. If it doesn't harden you can always pop it back in the oven.

ejralph
30-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Baked polymer clay doesn't go hard until it has completely cooled down.

If when it is cool it is still soft, you probably haven't got the right temperature on the oven - use an oven thermometer and do some test bakings to see exactly what setting you need in your own oven to get the right temp for the clay.

Good luck!

Stargazer
30-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks for your replies, it could be my oven temp, I'll get a thermometer this weekend and have another try :)

clayqueen
30-07-2010, 08:16 PM
I second what Emma said!!
My oven is very old so i know anything i bake needs an extra 10 minutes. Also it takes a while to cool down make sure you dont touch it as the clay is very fragile while cooling
I usually leave it in the oven with the door open to cool down slowly.