• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chani
    Junior crafter
    • Jul 2010

Help: Stained Glass and Disability

Hello everyone! I am new to the forums but I've been following the blog for a while now. I joined because I was hoping to pick your knowledgable brains on a problem that I do not know how to solve.

My sister has long wanted to take up stained glass craft (as in cutting, soldering ect). It has always been a passion of hers but unfortunately she has cerebral palsy. Her condition means that when cutting the glass she has limited strength and co-ordination. After many botched attempts she has given up.

I want to help make her happy again, and was wondering if you knew of any products (or indeed tips/ideas) that could help her to achieve her dream?

Maybe this could help others in a similar situation too.

Thank you
  • Critchley
    Super Moderator
    Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
    • Jun 2008

Welcome to the forum. I hope there is a way to solve your problem, someone may be able to help. Hugs to your sister.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

• MornieG Jewellery
      Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
      • Feb 2010

Your sister is a lucky woman to have someone thats cares so much about her.

The only thing I can suggest is a compromise of painting glass and using the stick on type of leadwork. Sorry no idea where to start for her other than maybe to get a book on painting glass unlesss someone on here can help you more. Mo.XX

ps found these on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glass-Painti...9613384&sr=1-1

Last edited by MornieG Jewellery; 20-07-2010, 09:17 AM. Reason: additional info
      Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
      Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
      www.bodrighy.co.uk
      https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

• Chani
        Junior crafter
        • Jul 2010

Thank you for your help (and warm welcome!). I will certainly suggest glass painting to her (thank you for the links), but I hope we don't have to give up on the glass-cutting just yet...

Comment

• glowingsunsets
          100+ crafts club
          • May 2007

Hi Chani, I've found a couple of places you can get pre cut glass kits for your sister, but both are in the States. The first one definetly ships to the UK, but this is using the copper foil method, rather than lead. If your sister doesn't like the look of either, just put "pre cut glass kits" into Google and you might find something she does like, I only looked at the first page. Good luck
          Transform your space with exquisite stained glass artistry. At Glass Crafters, discover our stunning collection of supplies, tools and handcrafted items that are sure to elevate your surroundings today.

This website is for sale! allstainedglass.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, allstainedglass.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
          http://manicmosaics.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• claireybear
            Super crafter
            • May 2008

Another option might be to join a class / club where other members can help her cut the glass. Or team up with someone else in the area that also does stain glass?

Comment

• HF Glass Lady
              500+ Crafters Club
              • Aug 2009

it depends how poor the co-ordination is, there are glass cutters which are designed for those who may have weakness in the wrists and are easier to use, that would help with the issue of the strength with cutting. However holding a glass cutter is a bit like holding a pencil (but firmer), shouldn't need much more strength than that. Check the tempsford glass website for info on the cutter. I am afraid I don't know enough about the condition to know what her mobility would be like but the process of cutting, foiling and soldering is all extremely fiddly and sometimes frustrating. You do need a fairly steady hand. I agree with above, maybe a taster course or group she could join or glass painting, loads of kits out there for that. Hope that helps and good luck with it!
              Blog: www.covegardennursery.co.uk/garden-nursery-blog/
              Facebook: Cove Garden Nursery

Comment

• Aviya Glass
                Super Big Crafter
                • Jun 2008

I bought a Score1 many moons ago - from US and paid a lot more than they are going for now. I still use it and love it. My tutor told me I was too weak to cut glass so I got this as I really wanted to do fused glass. It turned out that it's not strength but technique that helps in cutting glass and the less said about the tutor the better!

I can confidently use an oil filled cutter but still use this machine too. It holds the glass and you guide it through with one hand while turning the dial with your other hand so perhaps it would be ok for your sister? The great thing it you can stop 'mid score' which you can't do with a hand held cutter, not ideal to stop mid score but possible.
                I am not sure if they are now sold in UK but this link was the best I could find to show you how it works.
                I do hope your sister can take up a craft she loves.
                Terry xxx
                You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
                Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

• Chani
                  Junior crafter
                  • Jul 2010

Thank you for your advice! I think at this stage we're going to try all the options. I'm going to buy her a Score1 and some kits to see if that helps, and I've also found some classes in our area.

Thank you again, you've all been so helpful

Comment

• Craft5m4n
                    Junior crafter
                    • Aug 2008

Another option is glass mosaic.

You don't have to worry so much about perfect cutting.

Comment

Working...
                    X