PDA

View Full Version : Advice on setting up a craft group

homemade hannah
15-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi there

I want to set up a monthly crafting group/class in my local area but am concerned about how to go about it. I think that card making may attract people to this kind of class but am worried that people will not like my 'style' and will want to just to the 'pick and stick' style of QVC style crafting (I am not criticising this type of crafting before you all jump on me, it's just not me as I don't find it very creative). I want to teach things like distressing, using a brayer, rubber stamping, embossing, mixed media collage, art journalling and card making. Are there enough people out there for a class like this or should I just stick to the basics?

biscuitlid
15-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Hiya
I wasn't sure how successful my classes would be when I started either for the same reasons! I actually did my first class for free but limited spaces and made sure I asked for feedback afterwards. I had 14 ladies come to that first class and now run two every month and haven't changed my style at all! I don't think you need to stick to the basics - do what you enjoy doing and you will 'teach' it much better. Make sure when you advertise you say you'll be teaching techniques and if you're prepared to demonstrate how to do everything and maybe include printed instructions with photos too - make sure you let them know that they'll be getting plenty of help and support
Good luck
Victoria

homemade hannah
15-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks Victoria! Great advice. I think offering the first class free would be a good opener. I am planning on offering demos, a tutorial to make two pieces during the session and a small craft shop. Phew! Where to start!!