PDA

View Full Version : Making a "taggy"

Eloise
09-07-2010, 11:15 PM
I've decided to make a "taggy" for my daughter. For those of you that don't know, Taggies are like comfort blankets, normally made of fleecy material, with ribbon stitched onto the edges for the baby to feel and look at. Well, after looking at the prices, and realising that I didn't really love any of the patterns, I chose to make one myself. I have bought these Cath Kidston material swatches from Ebay:

I will be sewing them together to make a patchwork blanket, measuring approx 10" x 14", and will be shopping around for ribbons when I get the material through the mail.

But I'm now wondering how I can personalise it. I want it to be something my daughter can keep, and pass to her children if she wants to. I was thinking about adding buttons to increase the touch and feel sensory side, but perhaps buttons would make it less safe for her to play with - she's only 10 weeks old. Does anyone have any more ideas?

Critchley
09-07-2010, 11:32 PM
It is a tradition to sew a label on the underside with details of the maker and the recipient embroidered on, rather like a small sampler. I always put one on the quilts that I make for the Grandchildren then they become keepsakes. Yours should look lovely with that fabric. Please put a pic on when it is finished, love to see the completed thing.

alibear
10-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Yes avoid buttons at all costs at that age, I still keep them away from my toddler, you never know when one might come off.
Label idea sounds lovely - feel quite motivated to make something nice for my son now!

Eloise
10-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks, I might try that :)

sparklyshoes
10-07-2010, 06:55 PM
hmm, could applique stars on in diff fabrics (touchy ones) and maybe use some crinkle fabricstuff..that plastic stuff to put under a shape??

Eloise
17-07-2010, 03:02 PM
I can't seem to find anything like that here, but will keep looking around.

I have a question; is there anything I should consider before sewing on the ribbon to the edges? I know it's liable to fray, so will burn the ends to seal then, but am also wondering if there may be problems with fraying or tearing when I actually stitch them.

I'm also considering double backing the blanket, because the patchwork material is thicker than I thought it would be. If I double back it, hopefully you won't be able to feel the stitching too much on the back side.

Critchley
17-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Could you put a thin layer of batting -, or polyester in between. it makes it more cuddly/snuggly.

tipsylipsy
18-07-2010, 05:45 PM
I would aline the raw edges of the ribbon to the raw edges of the fabric then allow a generous seam allowance of perhaps 1" , then sew at 1/8", 3/8" and 5/8" inch from the edge through the ribbon and the fabric before you sew the front and back together. Then once you have sewn it all together the ribbon will have been sewn to the fabric four times and the ribbon is unlikely to come away from the fabric.

I would definately stay away from buttons, although you can get some really pretty ones they are dangerous for little ones.

Perhaps you could look at different textured fabrics, felt, corduroy, linen, satins etc cut them into cute shapes hearts, stars, circles whatever and then sew them into your design. I love the fabric choices you have made so far by the way

Best of luck

Salty
18-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Hello there.
I made a couple of these for my grandson. I made a smaller 1 (approx 9"x9") it was a childrens quilting panel zoo scene, so really brightly coloured. Picked out all matching ribbons, make sure that once they are folded in half there is still an overlap over the outside edge. I sewed them all around the edge twice.
I picked a lovely matching soft bubble fleecy type fabric for the underside, sewed this on, turned it all right side out, and then sewed all around the edge once again. So the ribbons are attached with about 3 or 4 lots of stitching.

He loves it, and when he falls asleep or dribbles on it, it is so easily washed and dried.

Forgot to say..... to add to the different ribbons, I used some of the spare material, in strips, folded and sewed twice (down each side) and then folded and used in the same way as a ribbon, it colour co-ordinates perfectly and at a fraction of the cost!

suzie68
20-07-2010, 08:29 AM
hi i make taggys and sell on ebay i use fleece front and have an embroidery machine to personalise i then attach the ribbon going round them twice and then use a satin to attach to the back turn through and top stitch all around which makes the tags even safer ,your patchwork idea sounds lovely especially with the fabrics you are using ,you could perhaps applique the babys name or initials one letter on to each square in different colours to make it more personal ,good luck ,sue x