PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to making buttons

deezkatz
25-06-2010, 10:50 AM
I've got my shape cutters and my clay and I'm enjoying it but does anyone have any tips on how to keep the shape of the buttons once I've cut them out and then lift them onto the baking tray!!!
Quite possibly a simple question but my circles always end up a bit non circular lol

StickyTiger
25-06-2010, 11:02 AM
How about cutting them on baking sheet so you only need to worry about moving the sheet rather than the clay?

deezkatz
25-06-2010, 12:45 PM
*blush* that so never came to mind! *blush* lol
thank you lol

pepsi
25-06-2010, 01:04 PM
I would cut them on greaseproof paper that I was going to bake them on.
Then they will not stick.
Unless you use a ceramic tile ?.
If you have the kind with little backs on. Put them on a thick layer of corn flour to keep their shape.
I made some a while ago that spelt baby Erins name.
They have worn well and we have cut them off what she has outgrown to use again.
http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?31058-Pollymer-clay-buttons.&highlight=I+made+some+buttons
Good luck xxx

Bev478
25-06-2010, 07:52 PM
I haven't made buttons but work with clay for beads & jewellery etc. I tend to work on a ceramic tile which I can then put that in the fridge to firm the clay up (especially in these warm conditions). Be aware that anything baked on a ceramic tile will go glassy on the back. For some items this will not matter, but could be a problem with others. It does mean that I end up transferring my beads to something else for baking & this is easier to do once the clay has chilled out in the fridge.

ejralph
27-06-2010, 10:23 PM
I would also just work direct on a ceramic tile and put it in the oven.

If the shiny backs are a problem to you, you can always lightly sand then after. But nothing keeps the clay as flat and distortion free as baking it on the tile without moving it.