PDA

View Full Version : Bulk button purchase

Mimomeemo
15-06-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm going round in circles trying to bulk buy a variety of buttons. I run craft workshops, mainly with recycled materials, but am being asked to run lots of button workshops (mainly bracelets) and cannot scavenge enough! As my workshops are pretty low cost, I need to bulk buy a big variety, rather than go on the sites that sell to individual craftsters - although they do sell beautiful buttons, I'm not in the market for 30p a button!
Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm getting nowhere fast in my searches!
Thanks.

bodrighy
15-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Scavenge all the available charity shops and go on freecycle. Maybe boot sales as well. For your needs I wouldn't think you want nice sets so maybe you can get them that way

pete

Mimomeemo
15-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the advice Pete. I have tried all of those other than the car boot sales. Charity shops where I live either don't have buttons or charge 10p a button. I have also tried on the local freecycle, Realcycle, where I have given away many things but not got any buttons from there either. Hey, maybe I've used all the local stocks up!
I will seek out a car boot sale soon. thanks.

AnnieAnna
16-06-2010, 10:19 AM
You need to get hold of the wholesale catalogues of people like Coats and Jonelle but wear a hard hat - talk of heads banging brick walls. You'd think they don't want customers!!!!!!!
So the trick is to go into shops and spot the names on any button labels/packts/display thingies. Then you go on line and track them down. Then. honestly I would forget emails and e form filling. I don't think they have moved out of the C19th! Best bet - get their address and go there and talk face to face with someone. Second best - pick up the phone and try to convince them you are a shop.
You could try sending a snail mail letter.
Best of luck. You'll need it!
AnnieAnna
Been there and still waiting for the catalogues.

PS. If you ever want a holiday with a difference go to Chile in South America. In the capital, Santiago, there is a whole street of booths selling nothing but buttons!
I bought piles of metal and jewel like ones which were 10p each but the plasic ones were cheaper.

LadyLora
16-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi, i dont know exactly how many you are thinking of when you say in bulk (hundreds? thousands?) :) but i have recently bought a couple of bulk button pots off of ebay, it worked out at 4.98 (including p&p) for approx 480 buttons (all different kinds and in bright colours).
Lora

BlackCactus
16-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes eBay has a huge variety of buttons. Often there's 'job lots' a tin with a hundred or more buttons for a few . Just have a look there at what's available. Plus it gets posted to you, saves you running around!

Critchley
16-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Any chance you can get the students to contribute a couple of dozen used buttons each? They can scavenge them from around their families.

Mimomeemo
16-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Wow, thank you all for your advice. I have bought from e-bay before but the person/shop I bought from has now disappeared and the next best is closed until 1 July now. It is also very time-consuming working out the numbers and weights, trying to compare like for like. If anyone has a particular e-bay recommendation, that would be appreciated too.
My preference is definitely to encourage people to rifle through their button boxes, or those of their family, as my workshops are about 'revamping' rubbish. However I do a number of workshops at public events where the people turning up don't know what activities will be available, so I do need to supply them myself too.
I've even contacted a house clearance company to find out what they do with people's sewing boxes!
Many thanks again everyone. Danielle

LadyLora
17-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi as mentioned before i got some recently from ebay, the ebay shop is called Young Creators West Sussex, i received mine in the post and am very happy, they arrived very quickly.

caitlingorge
26-06-2010, 07:38 PM
That is a lot..
Actually no. Apple dont give reimbursments.
Im so sorry for what happened. Mom works for apple.
The same thing happened to me.
I think it was like 256.00 in songs ans apps..
I called them and they told me no. Since they go straight to your computer/itouch/iphone and there is no way for them to take them away from you.
Yeah. Mom said that if you havent download them there is a 45% out of 100% posibility to get the reimbursment.

Mimomeemo
16-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi
I just thought I'd report back on my successes. Still no luck with charity shops but I bought two lots of buttons on e-bay from the recommendation, Young Creators/Airzee2006, which came in a really nice colour batch. I also used Skippy Designs where the colours were a bit less bright and mixed but a fantastic range of shapes and design and some quite quirky ones in there. Hope that's helpful for other wanting to buy bulk(ish) and mixes.
I also went to Duttons for Buttons in Harrogate last weekend, which is like a sweet shop for button lovers. Buttons are sold individually and although probably reasonable for someone buying a handful for one project, not the right for my purpose. Had a funworkshop last night, Blissed Out with Buttons, making bracelets and little hearts decorations. Three friends came together (as well as others) and brought a bottle of champagne to celebrate one of them's birthday. Wow, buttons, nice chat and bubbly!

bead@love
18-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Try The Bead and Button Company they have a website. They have alot of buttons and have a bulk button section to. Which works out alot cheaper.

lizduttons
18-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Try jones and co (http://www.buttonsunlimited.co.uk/index.htm) they wholesale buttons. I work in a button shop and we get loads from there :)