PDA

View Full Version : Just opened an Ebay Shop!

Katianne
16-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Well, I have decided to take the plunge! After considering everyone's advice, the general feedback seemed to be that is was worth a go, so I have taken the plunge :) The first month is free, so will see how it goes. Sold a mirror on ebay yesterday and hoping to get another sale through a second chance offer, so let's hope this is a good thing!

I really want to start getting some money back - I have seen lots of new materials and had lots of ideas recently, so need to fund these!!! Fingers crossed ;)

Mary
16-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Good luck. I have never taken the plunge with ebay myself, though I keep thinking about it. And since coming here I have found out about Etsy too (though still not sure I have grasped their web site properly....)
Anyway, best of luck, and really hope it works for you.

EMEvans
17-04-2007, 12:00 AM
I hope it all goes well for you. Keep us updated as i'm sure there's a few on here that would be interested (me included).

colourart
17-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Hope your ebay shop goes well for you. Keep us posted.

Ebay are doing a 10p listing day on Thursday, all my paintings are going on.

Katianne
17-04-2007, 07:08 AM
...they waited until I had listed before they emailed me about this!!! Oh well, will take advantage as you said and list more on Thursday! Nothing to report back yet (early days) but let's hope I get a few sales from it :)

kipper workshops
17-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Glad to hear you have set up an ebay shop. I think it's a good move. be patient though. Remember shop lisings don't appear in the main search results on ebay (you knew there must be a catch for such cheap listings didn't you!!). So make sure you have some auctions up to draw people to your shop and about me page.

Remember too that your titles are so, so very important. You only want words in there that are likely to be searched for. So words like 'lovely' and 'beautiful' , 'and' and 'the' etc... are not much use. Think what someone would search for and pack you titles with those words. It doesn't have to read like a sentance.

So for mirrors it might be:

Mosaic mirror blue white bathroom hand made

etc... you get the idea.

Also, have a look at other peoples auctions. Find ones that are similar to yours and that have good sales and pick elements that you think might work in your own auctions. If it works for them it could work for you.
It goes without saying that a really good image is very important too.

Hope that helps.
Hang in there, have patience and keep tweaking.

Steve :)

Funkyhand
17-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Hello,
I have been selling my CDs on Ebay and had an Ebay shop for about a year now. It was slow going at first but now I sell at least one per day everyday on there(Usually more!). I am having thoughts about keeping my Ebay shop, I do sell from it but not very often, I have a completed ME page directing everyone to my shop etc..but really people don't want to pay full price on Ebay, they want a discounted price which they get on auction listings.. though I had a surprise last night when I sold one CD on auction and then the buyer went on to my own website and bought all my other CDs full price direct from me which was nice!!
Good luck with your Ebay selling.
Anice xx :):)

Simply Roslyn
17-04-2007, 05:10 PM
I wish you the very best with your ebay shop.
I have a shop where I sell my cards, but sales have been pretty poor and sometimes I wonder if it is worth it...but I'm determine not to give in. I know my stuff is good and it just takes time. And yes having things on the auction and good wording is very important. Know you will do well.

Katianne
17-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Remember too that your titles are so, so very important. You only want words in there that are likely to be searched for. So words like 'lovely' and 'beautiful' , 'and' and 'the' etc... are not much use. Think what someone would search for and pack you titles with those words. It doesn't have to read like a sentance.

Thanks for the advice Steve - I have just altered my tile to read something like..' Handmade mosaic mirror blue green purple bathroom'

The listing states that the buyer can choose the colour so have tried to get the colours available in too, in case anyone is looking, for example, for a blue mirror.

I will let you know if/when I get a sale! Kate :)

Katianne
17-04-2007, 07:44 PM
It was slow going at first but now I sell at least one per day everyday on there(Usually more!).

Wow Anice, that's great!!! How many items do you tend to list on auction? I have 2 on auction at the moment and a total of 7 items in my shop. Will list some more at auction on Thursday when it's 10p listing!

Katianne
19-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Would anyone mind just giving me a bit more advice on this? I have tried to take everything on board that you have all said and hope the shop / about me page looks ok and will bring in the buyers? It's 10p listing day today so I was thinking of putting a few more things in the auctions. Based on what I do, can anyone recommend what I should put in and what my starting prices should be. I really don't want them to be too low as I would ended up losing money, which is quite depressing!!! At the same time though I need to attract the buyers! The shop address is:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Katian-Krafts_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

Thanks!

icecreamgirl
19-04-2007, 04:01 PM
If it were me i think i would work out what the item cost you to make, and start the bid at that.
Then any bids you get over that is a bonus and you havent lost any money, of course there is the time you spend on making them but am i right that the auctions are really a way of getting traffic to your shop?
So i would probably treat the auctions as a kind of advertising
hopefully people will then get to know your shop.
Good Luck

Katianne
19-04-2007, 04:33 PM
If it were me i think i would work out what the item cost you to make, and start the bid at that.

Yes, could do that plus the fees so I am not losing anything. Will try that tonight, see if it gets a bit more interest. I seem to get plenty of hits but the bidders/watchers don't seem to be coming :mad:

Katianne
22-04-2007, 08:14 AM
I am liking having a shop so far, even though I haven't had any sales yet. I have people watching my shop items at the moment, as well as my auction itmes, so its good to know that people are looking and showing an interest.

I find the traffic reports useful - you can see how many hits you've had on your itmes for sale and how many people have visited the shop each day. So far Wed and Fri were the best - I got 29 visits on each - is this good? Even if it isn't I'm glad people are looking.

First auction ends today so I'll see how that goes. Sorry to ramble, its early and nobody else is on so thought I'd post the latest :)

colourart
22-04-2007, 09:27 AM
glad, it seems to be going well. Good luck for your auction ending today, I'ce got one ending today too. I opened my shop back up last week, just before they announced the 10p day-arrgh. The stats are great though aren't they, gives a really good idea of where hits are coming from and what days are best. I'm turning into a stat addict, I'm always checking out my stat counter for my website.

Keeping my fingers crossed for all ebayers who have items finishing today. Lets hope for great Sunday sales.:D

Katianne
22-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Just sold another mirror at auction! Only got one bid but a sales a sale!!! Plus have got a bid on a square mirror that ends on Thursday. No buyers through my shop yet but have a couple of watchers. Sorry, will shut up now. This must be very boring for you all !!! :)

EMEvans
22-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Thats great news, hope you have many more sales to come. good luck

kipper workshops
23-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Hello...

glad to see you sold a mirror on ebay yesterday. I had a look at your ebay shop. It looks good. The mosaics look great, really colourful.

It sounds to me like you are getting a good number of views on your items. Don't be too worried if you think that you are not converting enough views into sales. Your getting hits and that's good. You can continue to tweak your auctions/shop as you go.

Don't forget too that if you are unsure about putting a low starting price (i.e. less than the cost of making it) you can always start your auction at 0.01 and put a reserve on the item that is the level of your costs. Could be worth running an experiment:

List two identical items. One with a starting price of your costs figure and another with a starting price of 0.01 adn a reserve. See which gets the most views, and the best number of bids/sale price. It's all about experimentation, you have to stick at it and you will learn more and more about how your items sell best. That's what I try and do, I don't sell bucket loads of items yet but I sell much more than I did when I started 6 months ago.

Well done on your sales so far, here's to many more.
Steve:)

Katianne
23-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks Steve, great advice as usual :) I will definetly give that a go, with the reserve as you said so I don't lose out. Yesterday was a good day for hits - I got 51 on my shop so was pleased with that. It's quite addicitive though - I want to keep checking. Can't at work as it's restricted so look forward to getting home every day (not that I didn't before!!!).

Katianne
23-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Have just being having a look at setting a reserve and it looks like I can't as the reserve has to be a minimum of 50 ???

BeyondBeads
25-04-2007, 03:10 PM
I have a feeling they changed it fairly recently to say you can't set it for less than 50. I had the same problem when i was doing mine! It's a real pain in the butt!

colourart
25-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Have just being having a look at setting a reserve and it looks like I can't as the reserve has to be a minimum of 50 ???

I read this too, what a pain, getting more and more fed up with ebay everyday. I'm finding that the sections where I listed my paintings used to sell quite a bit, nowdays its really quiet.Not just on my paintings but generally. I did quite well a few months ago, now all I do is pay out money to ebay with no results. Does anyone else get this feeling?

Btw Kate, I love reading your ebay accounts....keep them coming.

Katianne
25-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Btw Kate, I love reading your ebay accounts....keep them coming.

Ahh, thank you! I will do then, was getting worried that people would be getting fed up! So, to update you again, have sold 2 round mirrors so far, though auction though not my shop, although am getting quite a few hits on my shop each day and have a few people watching. Square mirror is up for auction at the moment and ends tomorrow - 1 bid so far plus 2 watchers. Fingers crossed!!! It's ok selling at auction price but I make little money if they go for the starting price - it would be nice to get a bidding war or a Buy It Now!!! :)

Simply Roslyn
25-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Kat,
I just had a look at your ebay shop and your items look great. I see you have 2 bids...brilliant! Things can only get better. I had a look at your me page which is very nice as well. I am thinking of doing mine soon. Hang in there girl the best is yet to come.

kipper workshops
25-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Hi Kate,

yep, sorry, gave you duff advice on the reserve. Had been a while since I used reserves and they have changed it to minimum 50. Cheeky buggers! Ebay is a terrible thing sometimes, they force you to take all the risk and none at all for them.

Just had a look at your ebay. Still looking good. Hang in there.

Katianne
27-04-2007, 07:19 AM
...sold a square mirror on Ebay last night. Again, it was for the starting bid price. I was hoping for a bidding war as I had another 3 watchers but this seems to keep happening - I get watchers that never bid! Oh well, a sales a sale! I have anoth 2 on auction at the moment - both round but different sizes and designs.

I have tried listing the the coasters and photo frames but these seem to attract little interest and have gone unsold. Think I will stick to the mirrors as that's what people seem interested in. 53 visits to my shop yesterday! I do seem to be getting a lot of traffic, just need them to buy :):pc:

EMEvans
27-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Well done on your latest sale. Wow 53 visitors to your shop, thats great - i only had just over 53 visitors for the whole week last week - very dissapointing. It was my worst week for visitors so far but the best for sales (had 3) so can't complain really.

Katianne
09-05-2007, 10:32 AM
I have a round blue mirror ending today. I took your advice about starting it at a low price to attract bids. Last night I got a bid at the starting bid of 4.99. Have just received another bid so it's now up to 6.50. I hope I get more bids though - the mirror's normal sale price is 25, so I have a bit to go until it gets there!!!

So far I have made 4 sales through ebay. I know I am getting less for the my crafts there but sales are sales - it's nice have somebody buy and appreciate your work (especially if they don't know you, friends and family buyer is great too but nice to sell Jo Public).

The black / white / grey mirror is also on auction at the moment - it ends tomorrow so fingers crossed!!!

BeyondBeads
09-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Bob will be really upset if you sell that one!!! :o

Katianne
09-05-2007, 12:27 PM
If I do I will make another one tell him, ready for that house when he buys it!!!

BeyondBeads
09-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Tehe!

He'll take you up on that i'm sure!! :D

Good luck with the auctions!!!!

Katianne
09-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Just had a bit of a bidding war going on then - the mirror is now up to 10.50.

colourart
09-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Just had a bit of a bidding war going on then - the mirror is now up to 10.50.

This is just what you want a bidding war. Bet you can't stop watching. I'm terrible when items are ending, on and off the computer all day. Good luck!!

Katianne
09-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Just had another bidding war - up to 16.00 now!

BeyondBeads
09-05-2007, 05:31 PM
20 now! Keep it up!

colourart
09-05-2007, 05:35 PM
20 now! Keep it up!
Nearly upto your 25 now. Hope it goes past this for you.:)

Katianne
09-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Nearly upto your 25 now. Hope it goes past this for you.:)

So do I, although 20 for an ebay auction (for my mirrors) is really good - they usually only sell for the price I start them at (15). So maybe it is better to start off with a lower starting pirce!

Katianne
09-05-2007, 10:45 PM
...the round blue mosaic mix mirror sold for 21.00! So only 4 off the buy it now, so that's good.

Plus I just got a bid on the black / white / stone mirror!!!

Yey, happy bunny tonight!

colourart
09-05-2007, 11:03 PM
...the round blue mosaic mix mirror sold for 21.00! So only 4 off the buy it now, so that's good.

Plus I just got a bid on the black / white / stone mirror!!!

Yey, happy bunny tonight!

Well done!! :) :) :)

BeyondBeads
09-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Brill! Well done!

The low starting price seems to have worked!

Katianne
09-05-2007, 11:11 PM
Yes, I was a bit worried about starting it so low I must admit but I think it definitey drew attention and more bids. I wimped out with the black and white one and listed this starting at 19.99, but someone has placed a bid so it's all good!

kipper workshops
09-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi,

sorry got to this late, not been on the forum as much this last week!

Brilliant news about your sales. Glad to hear that the lower price strategy worked. It's a funny thing, this ebay lark! When someone bids they get emotionally attached and surprisingly they then tend to stick with that item, even if there are other auctions. it doesn;t happen all the time, but quite often!!

I have sold two items this week using a low starting bid that have sold for more than the buy it now price!! And each auction had a big link to the buy it now item in it!!! It's a very strange thing!!

Still, you're up and running on ebay. Now you just need to keep it up. Keep tweaking your auctions and about me pages if needed. Although it sounds like they are doing a good job for you.

Hope more sales are on the way.

Great stuff!!

Katianne
09-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Thanks Steve, your advice is always valued! Glad your sales are going well too. It will be good to meet you one day when you start doing craft fairs so we can exchange more tips (although I think it will be you giving me tips as usual!!!)

Katianne
10-05-2007, 10:54 AM
3 sales in the space of 12 hours - hurrah!!!!!

BeyondBeads
10-05-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm jealous! Well done! :D

Katianne
10-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Just made another sale! Someone just bought a black/white /stone mirror that I had in my ebay shop, at the Buy it Now price! Yipee, hurah, wahooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At this rate I won't have any stock for Stow...better get making this weekend!!! That's good though!

Simply Roslyn
10-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Yeahhhhhhhhhh! good for you girl. You're doing alright! It's such a nice feeling when you see - 'you have sales, you need to post these items' At the moment I have just one bid on a card but I'm positive and know the best is yet to come!
What's driving me nuts is I have about 6 watchers looking at different cards and they have been looking at it for sometime now, wish they would just buy it. i wonder if they remember that they are looking at items. So I've decided not to get my hope up with watchers.

Katianne
10-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Today is the best day I've had in ages! I can't believe it...just checked Ebay and I've sold another mirror at the buy It Now price. So that's a totel of 5 in 24 hours now, That's more than I've sold since I started up! Sorry to go on guys, I'm just so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mf: :mf: :mf: :mf: :mf: :mf: :mf: :mf: :mf: :mf:

colourart
10-05-2007, 05:11 PM
What's driving me nuts is I have about 6 watchers looking at different cards and they have been looking at it for sometime now, wish they would just buy it. i wonder if they remember that they are looking at items. So I've decided not to get my hope up with watchers.

I've heard that a large percentage of watchers do forget to bid, they are so frustrating from a sellers point of view. I also wonder how many watchers are people researching. I've also decided not to get my hopes up with watchers too.

I've got a little tykes climbing frame on and we've had nearly 700 views, but still no bids. Got 12 watchers, so frustrating, but I think it will go.

Three of my childrens paintings have bids on though, they finish tonight. So i'm a happy bunny for now.

I wonder though if the interest rate rise might have any effect on sales. Hope not.

BeyondBeads
10-05-2007, 08:28 PM
That's brill! I'm so pleased for you!!! :D

nattynetty
11-05-2007, 12:51 AM
Today is the best day I've had in ages! I can't believe it...just checked Ebay and I've sold another mirror at the buy It Now price. So that's a totel of 5 in 24 hours now, That's more than I've sold since I started up! Sorry to go on guys, I'm just so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's such brilliant news I can just picture you jumping around!!! The low starting price must be bringing 'em in and then when they see all your loverly mirrors they can't stop themselves from buying - woohoo :mf:

Andamento
11-05-2007, 01:23 AM
Excellent, well done! Quite exciting too with the breaking news aspect to the thread!

Katianne
11-05-2007, 07:40 AM
That's such brilliant news I can just picture you jumping around!!! :mf:

I still am! I have just logged on again this morning to find that I have made another sale on the Black & White Mirror, so thats 3 sales of that colour and design in the last day and a total of 6 sales altogether. Yipee!!!

Thanks all for the congratulations and sorry for going on, just so excited!!!

Simply Roslyn
11-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Well girl you have every reason to be excited.....I would be as well. Seems you're going from strength to strength. It's so nice when people appreciate your work and buy it.

yeah I guess the watchers may forget to bid....bit strange though. Oh maybe they are comparing....oh I don't know, I'm not going to fustrate myself over them. I'm confident that people will buy.

kipper workshops
11-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Blooming 'eck! Sounds like your mirrors are going like hot cakes!!!!

Brilliant news. Hard work (and patience) pays off.

Hooorahh!!!

Here's to many more sales...

Katianne
17-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Ok, so things have gone a bit quiet now so I need you help. I want to encourage people to look at my ebay shop so have been listing 2 mirrors at 4.99 per week, one on a 7 day listing and another on a 10 day listing.

I am rotating the colours to attract different people / more interest. Each week I have decided to put on one of each design - band and mix. So far I have done blue mix, black/white/stone mix (last week) and caramel mix and purple band (this week).

The caramel mix ends tonight so can anyone give me their opinions re: what I should list next? It would be one of my rounds as in my shop. Thank you!!!

candles by lisa
17-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Why not try the Green and white one you.

Cheers.

Lisa

:D

Katianne
17-05-2007, 11:22 AM
This is the one I was actually thinking of but wanted to get other opinions. As I have only just done the green oneit may be a good one to try. Thanks Lisa :)

icecreamgirl
17-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Didn't you say the grey/stone one was selling well? If it was me i would put on any colours that have had more than one bid on them in the past, as this means other people were interested? Definatley the grey stone one again as the colours are just sooo trendy at the mo...
Then you could put on a different colour ie the new green one...

Katianne
17-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks! Yes, the grey/black/white one went down really well when it was on last week. As well as selling the one at auction I sold another 3 through my shop as a result. I wasn't sure if it was too soon to relist it again but I think I agree - if it went down well last time hopefully it will have the same effect this time. I have just re-photographed it with a white background too, which I think has made the colours stand out.

Do you think 2 is the right amount to have on auction at one time or should it be more /less?

Katianne
17-05-2007, 09:07 PM
...because the mirror I have on ebay, ending in just over an hour is only at 5.19. I keep refreshing the page but it stays at 5.19 - help!!!!! That won't even cover the materials!!! Yikes!

EMEvans
17-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Have you put a clause on it to say you can withdrawer if it gets sold elsewhere?

Katianne
17-05-2007, 09:10 PM
No -didn't know I could do that?? Do you just type it in the description?

EMEvans
17-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I think so or it goes in the t & c's, i've seen it on somethings on there before but never done it myself

EMEvans
17-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Did you manage to get a good price for it in the end? hope so

Katianne
17-05-2007, 11:15 PM
No - obv. caramel / cream is not a popular colour! Have just listed the black / white /stone on auction as that seemed to go down well last time!

Heidijw
18-05-2007, 09:39 AM
How disappointing after such a good start with all the others!!

You'll be getting a real good feel for what sells and doesn't though. Good luck with the next!

EMEvans
18-05-2007, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't say that that colour isn't popular it's probably not a good time for an auction to end. If i was you i would list it again for it to end on a Sunday night as thats a very popular night on ebay, also try and time it so it ends about 8pm (ish).

Katianne
18-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I have tried ending Sundays, Tuesday, Wednesdays and Thursdays! Looking at my traffic report Thursdays seem to be a good day for me - i.e. even though the mirror didn't do too well last night I still got 69 visit to my shop in that day alone. At the moment, I have one ending on Tuesday next week, one on Wed and I will list another maybe to end Sunday? It's all tiral and error this Ebay lark isn't it?!!!

Katianne
24-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Well, it's been very quiet since I got all excited about my sale frenzy (thought I had jinxed it). Then last night a mirror sold on auction for 12.50, not overjoyed at that but I hoped that people would be encouraged to look into my shop and buy...and someone did! Hoorah! Just logged in and someone has bought a caramel band round mirror. Woohoo!!!

kipper workshops
24-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Eh up...

lots going on here as usual on the old ebay front.

Sounds to me like you are fast becoming an ebay expert. Everything you are doing IMO is just spot on. You are trying lots of different methods, changing things, seeing what the results are, both in terms of sales and traffic.

Lots of people try ebay, make a couple of listings, are dissapointed and give up. The thing to do is to modify and change until you get better results and then keep learning. That's what I have done. I am always tinkering, I am still not selling anywhere near as many as I would like to but my sales are going upwards over time, much like yours seem to be. That's success!!!

Don't get downhearted if some of your auctions go for low prices. I just congratulate the buyer on getting a great bargain and move on to the next one.

Also, don't forget that your auctions are primarily to get people to your shop. Think of it as marketing rather than profit seeking. If you get a profit on your auction, that's great, but you will earn more in the long run by getting traffic to your shop (and your own website).

You can put a line into your auctions, and shop items, that you have the item advertised elsewhere and reserve the right to withdraw at any time. For me though it's a bit sneaky to pull an auction close to the end just because it isn't at a price you like. I think you have to take it on the chin.

I would list as many auctions as you feel comfortable with, 2, 3, 5, 10!!
It's all about how much risk you want to take to get traffic to your shop.
Definately relist colours that get a lot of hits/watchers, chances are they will be back. I re-list my auctions straight away as soon as the last one finishes. I do all my auctions on 10 day listings too. If you are using it as a marketing tool you want it out there for as long as possible. Also if someone loses out on an auction there's a good chance they will look again, so why not have the same auction up again?

If having too many mirrors on auctions is too risky, why not make some much smaller mirrors and use that as your auction/marketing strategy. That way if the odd one sells low you wont lose as much but you can still use the auction to draw people to your shop. You can have links in each auction to a larger version of the mirror with the same pattern etc.. Push it as a 'set' or even offer a discount if they buy the set. Just an idea.

Glad things are going well for you though. It's great when sales come in, even small ones. It provides motivation to keep going, even if it is only making you a few pennies. That's how I view it anyway.

Best of luck with your upcoming auctions.

Katianne
24-05-2007, 10:50 PM
...a black/white/stone mirror of mine just sold on ebay for 4.99!!! It only got one bid, and yet it had 11 watchers? I will never figure Ebay out :mad: I just hope I make some sales through my shop now, to compensate!

PerkyPigs
25-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Wow, this is a real rollercoaster of a thread! I felt so happy for you when the orders were starting to roll on in, but now I see things have calmed down.

I have no words of wisdom, others have said far more useful stuff than I would have been able to. Just wanted to say keep on going, I love your work and I'm sure it is just a matter of time before the orders come rolling on in again.

Jules x

Katianne
06-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Haven't updated this thread recently (not sure if anyone's interested??? Don't want to be a bore!!!). Ebya had got very slow (anyone else finding this?). Have not had a surge since the one (and only one!) I had last month. I was hoping pay day may boost sales as I have plenty of watchers but that hasn't hapened as yet.

Over the last week I have sold a few mirrors on auction and one in my Ebay shop. I think the message from this thread is...you can't predict ebay and the buyers!!! I don't regret opening a shop though, I have made about 20 sales through it over the last 2 months which I am really pleased about...just hope it continues!

colourart
06-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Haven't updated this thread recently (not sure if anyone's interested??? Don't want to be a bore!!!). Ebya had got very slow (anyone else finding this?). Have not had a surge since the one (and only one!) I had last month. I was hoping pay day may boost sales as I have plenty of watchers but that hasn't hapened as yet.

Over the last week I have sold a few mirrors on auction and one in my Ebay shop. I think the message from this thread is...you can't predict ebay and the buyers!!! I don't regret opening a shop though, I have made about 20 sales through it over the last 2 months which I am really pleased about...just hope it continues!

I was just thinking that I hadn't heard much from your ebay exploits recently. I have found ebay is still ok, but some people want paintings for a steal, they ask for a quote and then I don't hear from them again. I've got quite alot on at the moment (but not too much:),its finished), so I'm happy to quote a little higher and if they don't come back to me so be it.

Katianne
06-06-2007, 11:48 PM
I have found ebay is still ok, but some people want paintings for a steal, they ask for a quote and then I don't hear from them again. I've got quite alot on at the moment (but not too much:),its finished), so I'm happy to quote a little higher and if they don't come back to me so be it.

That's exactly what's been happening to me too - have had so many enquiries re: can you do one in this colour, can make it in this size... I soend ages soucing supplies, working out the price, email them the details and...hear nothing!! Although was very pleased on Sunday when someone asked for a rainbow mirror in a larger size, I gave the quote and he emailed staight back t say yes and paid!!! Hoorah!!! Some people do appreciate me and my work!

I have learnt not to put myself out now, just give the quote and if they're not interested don't worry about it. I used to work out a price and then worry, should I have asked less, but at the end of the day, I need to make a profit for it to be worth my while. I do my mosaics for the love of it BUT I am not busting a gut to see nothing in return. I would love to make a business out of what I do (part time) at some point, so I have to think this way if I am going to make this work.

Katianne
30-06-2007, 11:36 AM
June has definetly been my best month so far...I am actually in profit this month!! Hoorah! Although i fear I am jinxing myself by posting this thread as when i said things were going well last time I ended up having a really quiet few weeks afterwards!

June has been the month of making to order. have had lots of enquiries asking if I can make mirrors in other sizes and colour schemes. Some have placed orders after making enquiries, others I haven't heard from again.

June has also been the month for disaster curtasy of RM! Made a mirror to order for a lady wanting it as a present and needing it by a certain date. Spent all my evenings are work making it and got it sent in plenty of time, them got a call saying it had arrived damaged! So I have had to make and send another at my expense and have put a claim in to RM. They had better compensate me!

Overall, a good month, extremely busy to the point where I have really sturggled at times and haven't really had any time to myself what with working full time and crafting in every spare minute.

Let's hope it continues to go well (please don't jinx me!!!) :mf: :mf: :mf: :mf: :mf:

EMEvans
30-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm glad things are going well for you. Fingers crossed that the orders keep coming. Hope you manage to get something back off the Royal Mail.

colourart
30-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Don't want to jinx you.....so I'm going to say it very quietly.....

well done, hope July beats June for sales:), and kick some arse if RM don't compensate for the broken one.

naomi126
05-05-2008, 09:53 PM
good luck with e-bay! im about to take that leap of faith to!

PhasePatch
15-05-2008, 01:23 AM
eBay is a great tool for a new business. You just have to find a niche.

Invest some time in research and listing. Search ebay using terms you imagine your potential customers might use. Find out which search terms your competitors are using. But more importantly find out which ones they are NOT using as this can be your most powerful tool. Also if your products require the word 'and' beware. If customers are likely to use and in their search and ampersand (&) will not return the same results and the word.
Constantly tweak your listing start and end times depending on the season and weather forecast!! Use the Advanced Search option and search completeted listings (remember to include shop inventory items) for similar products and find out if they are selling and what the pricing is like. You can also use there results to determine why items have not sold.
Why make all your own mistakes when you can learn from other peoples?