• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shary
    So much more than a moderate crafter
    • Feb 2010

Another question

Hi

Been away for a while as the PC literally blew up on us!!! Managed to get a borrowed one to use till we can get us a new one.
    Anyway to my question.......

I am having a bit of trouble with something, not too sure if it's just me being a bit thick but would love some advice.

I have made some small round beads using a plain white clay, I then baked it. After letting them cool I tried to paint them with a metallic paint which says it can be used on clay.I then sprinkled over some fine deco beads. Left them to dry but when I went back to them both the paint and beads rubbed off as soon as I handled them.
    Should I paint them before baking or am I doing something wrong?

TIA

Shary
    x
    My cardmaking blog

The other side of me

My new beading blog

So many beads , not enough cash
  • ejralph
    Super Big Crafter
    • Nov 2006

Without knowing what type of clay and what type of paint it is difficult to say.

Generally speaking though, baked clay has quite a smooth glossy surface which the paint won't stick to easily. So you need to lightly sand the baked clay or maybe put on a really fine later of Fimo gel and bake it - just something to give the paint a key to grab on to.

As for the deco beads coming off, that is not surprising. They need to be pushed into the clay pre-baking so the clay holds them in place. Or after baking, they would need some type of glue, or again liquid clay, to hold them in place. Just using paint to hold them on won't work - because it is paint, not glue.
    Emma
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
    www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
    www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

• Shary
      So much more than a moderate crafter
      • Feb 2010

Ah thank you Emma, I think I will get some of the liquid clay then, sounds the easier option. Thanks again.

Shary
      x
      My cardmaking blog

The other side of me

My new beading blog

So many beads , not enough cash

Comment

Working...
      X