PDA

View Full Version : Upcycling bottles into wine glasses!

HF Glass Lady
29-04-2010, 09:39 PM
I drink rather a lot of beer ;) so am thinking of reusing them to make glasses, has anyone used one of those bottle cutters and if so what would be a safe glue to use to attach the base to the stem?

Lilac Moon
29-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi sorry cant help but just thought I would say that I have bought some glass beads made from recycled beer bottles, I think its a great idea. especially if you have so many empty ones ;)

LORRAINE D
29-04-2010, 11:47 PM
I drink rather a lot of beer ;) so am thinking of reusing them to make glasses, has anyone used one of those bottle cutters and if so what would be a safe glue to use to attach the base to the stem?

WOW what a great idea good luck

skuttle
30-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi,
I've made glasses from bottles using a bottler cutter, although I can't suggest a glue for you to use as I've made tumblers rather than stemmed glasses.
I have an Ephram's bottle cutter. You lay the bottle down flat on little rollers, then turn it round, gently pressing against a little metal disc that scores the glass.(Doesn't actually 'cut' it, just leaves a light score line, and you then have to apply heat and ice to get the line to crack). This cutter is supposed to be a lot more effective than the upright type, as you have more control over the pressure you put on the bottle, but even so, it definitely takes some getting used to, so you need plenty of spare bottles to practice with! And it does take quite some time to smooth down the edges enough to make them safe if you use the grit that comes with the bottle cutter, although I'm sure there are quicker ways to do it if you have the right power tools.
Here's (http://thelittleglasskiln.co.uk/blog/?p=167)a pic of my first attempt to make glasses out of bottles if you're interested. To be honest, I found it a bit too hit and miss and time consuming to really make it worthwhile doing, but maybe that's just because I'm too impatient!

HF Glass Lady
30-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi,
I've made glasses from bottles using a bottler cutter, although I can't suggest a glue for you to use as I've made tumblers rather than stemmed glasses.
I have an Ephram's bottle cutter. You lay the bottle down flat on little rollers, then turn it round, gently pressing against a little metal disc that scores the glass.(Doesn't actually 'cut' it, just leaves a light score line, and you then have to apply heat and ice to get the line to crack). This cutter is supposed to be a lot more effective than the upright type, as you have more control over the pressure you put on the bottle, but even so, it definitely takes some getting used to, so you need plenty of spare bottles to practice with! And it does take quite some time to smooth down the edges enough to make them safe if you use the grit that comes with the bottle cutter, although I'm sure there are quicker ways to do it if you have the right power tools.
Here's (http://thelittleglasskiln.co.uk/blog/?p=167)a pic of my first attempt to make glasses out of bottles if you're interested. To be honest, I found it a bit too hit and miss and time consuming to really make it worthwhile doing, but maybe that's just because I'm too impatient!

Thanks for that! Think you've confirmed my suspicion that they might be more hassle than its worth. It was grinding the edges and making them 'safe' for sale that worried me but might still give it a go. Think your corona tumblers look really good though, have developed an appetite for Sol because I like the label!! Will keep on building my stock of beer bottles while I think about it! (Hic!)

shiner
03-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I remember about 35 years ago (doesnt time fly) I had a bottle cutter I got from a show to do the same thing, turn the base of the bottle into a glass it was an ordinary glass cutter on an adjustable arm that hooked into the top of the bottle and cut around the outside the other and equally important part of the kit was the little "hammer" on a bent arm that went inside the bottle to chase the crack from the inside, anyone who has cut or seen someone cut sheet glass will know what i mean, the cut edges were then cleaned with emery or heated to take off the sharp corners. The number of parties we had then with drunken idiots breaking glasses it paid for itself in no time with a plentiful supply of bottles to replace them. ahh happy days I almost remember them well lol

HF Glass Lady
06-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Kind of wanna try it, but went into a shop today and they had the same 'recycyled' (can't spell) glasses there...thought it would be fun to try and sell but theirs is properly packaged...maybe I should just carry on drinking the beer anyway

skuttle
06-05-2010, 07:41 PM
If you fancy having a go, but don't want to spend a lot of money on a bottle cutter (I know mine was quite expensive for what it is), I've just come across these instructions for making your own -http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf62158030.tip.html

I think you basically nail two lengths of wood together to form a long v-shaped channel (with another piece on the end to act as rest) which you place the bottle in, place a glass cutter on the side of the glass and turn the bottle slowly, keeping slight, even pressure on the cutter.

Not sure how effective it is, and if you were thinking of selling them, a proper cutter might be better, but if you've some spare wood lying around, you could always have a play. And testing it out is a good excuse for needing extra bottles (which will need emptying, of course!)

Digger
12-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Ha!! How funny and interesting...its amazing whats avaliable on the internet!! Ive just bought a "bottle chopper"..it is second hand and...."as shown on BBC's Tommorows World" it claims that if the instructions are followed correctly then any bottle can be cut very accurately. I keep looking at it.. I darent try it due to not wanting failure..laugh...the reason i bought it was because i want the concaved bottoms of wine bottles to use in glass art. Its like glass for free. I rekcon alot of grinding would be needed as i dont think its possible to "chop" the bottle really close to its base... But it might be worth a go...

tell me more about your experiences.

HF Glass Lady
16-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Give it a go Digger..I've 'bottled' out on making glasses and tumblers..but have many other ideas for using the old beer and wine bottles..hic!

Sandman
07-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I know this is a bit of an old thread but I came across this the other day http://www.thekinkajou.com/ it looks like it may solve your problem. For the bottom of your wine glass try glueing the neck of the bottle you have just cut to the bottom. There are UV glass glues that dry clear B&Q sell one.

bobby p
10-10-2012, 07:57 AM
years ago i melted pieces of broken coloured bottles together using an oxy propane torch, they looked great but i never worked out the proper way to cool them,i was messing about at the time

Incognito 1
11-03-2013, 10:09 AM
I realise this thread was started alomst three years ago but.....

It would be better for the environment if you recycled the beer bottles by any 'regular' recycling route so they can be made back into containers again. In the UK we are short of certain grades or recycled glass and have to import cullett (broken bits of crushed glass).