PDA

View Full Version : anyone selling cupcakes in yorkshire

shazeroo
28-04-2010, 08:43 PM
just wondering if anyone will be selling cupcakes at any fairs/markets in the yorkshire/derbyshire area through the summer?

etvoila
29-04-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm miles from Yorkshire - but I LOVE cupcakes. My new years resolution this year was it had to be "THE YEAR of THE CUPCAKE". I have made quite a few batches - my girl's love them. They are actually quite complex to make really compared to plain old fairy Cakes, aren't they? Very IN TREND at the moment.

shazeroo
29-04-2010, 11:11 PM
I cant stop baking them at the moment. I've got lots of ideas I want to try out but my kids are getting a bit fed up of me force feeding them cupcakes.
I want to start selling them but I am a bit lost with how to go about it. I've read the links on the forum, but to be honest Id rather speak to someone who has done it as I've got loads of questions.

for now I will keep baking - taking a new batch to work tomorrow

Lilac Moon
29-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Hi I know there are 2 'girls' who sell cupcakes at the Elsecar Heritage Centre fairs but I cant for the life of me remember who they are....you could try emailing the organisers to see if they would help track them down. I do think there are somemembers on here who make them too..

http://www.newcomenfairs.co.uk/

shpangle
30-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I have just come across somebody on another forum who has had a business for nearly a year just selling cupcakes..they are from Nottingham though...

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=153699

Mick

fairycakes1972
02-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Hi, I have sold cupcakes etc at farmers markets in the past in Essex, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask away!!!

shazeroo
02-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks fairycakes1972

It was things like how to transport them, how to keep them fresh in extreme weather (be it wind and rain or sunshine), how to display them and stop dust, bugs and sticky little fingers getting on them.

thanks

sharon

p.s looked at your web site - your very tallented - love the novelty cakes

fairycakes1972
03-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks Sharon!

You need to check with your local EHO (and the one that covers the area the market is in) Mine insisted that the cakes were covered on the stall, to stop dust flies, little fingers etc, so I couldn't use all the pretty stands you see on some stalls. I ended up using clear plastic shirt boxes, which worked a treat. When it was hot, we would just prop the top of the box up slightly with a clothes peg so the air could circulate and stop everything getting too hot.

Transporting them is easy when you have some good strong boxes. I bought a load of 12x12 cardboard boxes which would hold between 20 and 25 cupcakes in each, labelled them, and then stacked them on crates below the table so I could restock when necessary.

If you need anything else, just give me a shout!!

shazeroo
06-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks

Just one more thing at the moment - did you sell your cupcakes in boxes or anything, Ive been looking and although they look nice it does bump up the cost quite a bit - just wondering if its worth it or not.

thanks again
Sharon

fairycakes1972
07-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Sharon,

We used 6x6 cakeboxes to put four or five cupcakes in, and tried various other methods for boxing 2's and 1's. We finally settled on some 6"x2" boxes (I think that's the right size) and paper carrier bags. It did up the costs a bit, but it also meant people could buy to take home rather than eat there!!

We customised all the bags and boxes ourselves with a rubber stamp of our logo, so everything matched and looked pretty, which everyone commented on, but as we did it all ourselves, if you take out man hours, it didn't cost alot!

x

clarecrafts
27-05-2010, 09:47 PM
just wondering if anyone will be selling cupcakes at any fairs/markets in the yorkshire/derbyshire area through the summer?

1) your colleagues are so lucky to have you feeding them cake!
2) Do the opposite of what was on the Junior Apprentice last night and youll be fine!

shazeroo
28-05-2010, 06:50 PM
yes I watched that, it did make me giggle. It really isn't as hard as they made it look.