PDA

View Full Version : I'm buying a new camera... any advice??

Extra Special Touch Gifts
26-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Hi,

I am currently have a basic digital camera which I have used to take photographs for my website....

But, I would like to to buy a new one to take better photos...

but I have no idea what to look for, or how much I need to spend.

I want to take good clear pics of my embroidered gifts for my site, so close up work as well.

Any advice / suggestions would really be appreicated,

Heidi

Jonesi
27-04-2010, 02:35 AM
If you're staying with a compact digital, look for one that has a "Macro" function, this will enable you to take close up shots and still be able to focus at short range. You'll want as high a megapixel as you can afford and a good optical zoom. Digital zoom gives you a lesser quality image so try to ignore that and concentrate on optical zoom, a 5x or higher is preferable.

I currently have a "Canon Powershot SX110 IS (http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3726)" which is 9.5MP and 10x optical zoom and I'm really pleased with it but now and again I get my BF to do my photographs and he has a Nikon D90 with lots of different lenses and flashes. Obviously the DSLR cameras are superior to compact but alot more expensive and complicated.

If you have a nose at my Folksy shop, the yellow and blue bracelet was photographed with my Canon, and the red shell earrings with the Nikon D90.

silvermaid
27-04-2010, 03:38 AM
I have a couple of pictures of bees in my album taken on macro with a Samsung digimax D103 It's 10MP with (I think) 4x digital and 4x optical zoom. The close up is the same picture but zoomed in on my computer.
They are discontinued now but you can usually find them on ebay for around 50.
The ordinary batteries don't last long - less than an hour - but the rechargeable 1300 or higher will last several hours.

Melanie

Classical Genesis
27-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Try looking at the Nikon D40. I have owned Nikon cameras for many years but I sold all my traditional cameras 6 months ago and bought an entry level D40 just to start to get the hang of working with digital at a decent level. The D40 is great outside or in a studio situation, automatic or manual mode depending on your skills. Ken Rockwell is an American photographer with a great website. He produces some excellent write-ups on cameras. Here is his site, http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm , check out his description of the D40.

All this depends on your budget of course but you definitely don't need to spend more than this to get a very versatile camera.

Clive

27-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks everyone, especially Clive (you always give good advice!)

With the spec people are talking about... I currently have a Samsung L700, 3 x Optical Zoom and 7.2 Mega Pixels, it was about 100 new a few years ago.

The Nikon has a lower spec (but this is the kind of thing I was thinking about) why will it take better photo's? (although I know it will!)

hx

Classical Genesis
27-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Heidi hi Heidi

Oops I would appear to be a bit out of date here Heidi, quite unwittingly I have to say. Silly old duffer I hear the younger generation mutter. It would appear that the D40 has been discontinued and superseded by the D5000. I had a quick look at the spec of the camera on the Ken Rockwell site just before I wrote this and, like the D40 before it, it would appear to be just the ticket in terms of intelligent image production.

There are of course many other DSLR cameras on the market from a range of makers. I suppose I'm a bit biased really as after experimenting with three or four other makes in the early days I have owned Nikon kit because everything always kept working when the others failed. I very much doubt that the same applies now though as I would not have thought, as with cars, sewing machines and other things, that you could really buy a bad one with today's manufacturing technology.

I copied the following from the Ken Rockwell site because I am not technically competent to describe the the camera in the same terms myself.

Anyway this is what he says about the Nikon D5000. The links are live so clicking on them will take you to the relevant areas of his diatribe on the subject.

The Nikon D5000 is Nikon's best DSLR today, if size, weight and price matter.

The D5000 offers the technical image quality of Nikon's best DX cameras like the D300s and D90, with the smallest size, weight and price.

Something the D5000 does exceptionally well is work quietly. When I first shot it, I noticed how quiet it was, and a week later when I found the D5000's Quiet Mode (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5000.htm#quiet), I was astounded! It's far quieter than any other SLR, and is at least as quiet as the LEICA rangefinder cameras.

The D5000 has the D300s' sensor, the D90's AF sensors, the D300s' superb Gen 2 (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/dslr.htm#gen) image processing smarts and the D90's crappy movie mode. The D5000 shares the same ADR and (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300/dynamic-range.htm) Picture Controls (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300/picture-control.htm) as the D300s and other Gen 2 cameras

Kind regards....................Clive

Scorch
28-04-2010, 02:13 PM
I'd recommend looking at the GE/General Electric range. for the same capabilities of othert cameras they're much cheaper... and with the same mechanisms inside! I bought one for my birthday, and it's great. All the recent stuff that's bog or awkward, like bowls & such, on my Flickr site were photographed with it

I find that the most important thing with photographing craftwork is to keep the camera really still - on a tripod, or a stack of books, or whatever.

29-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Clive,
What do you think to this model... it's in my price range?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Coolpix-P90-Digital-Optical/dp/B001R4BT4E/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272493809&sr=8-7

Classical Genesis
29-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Heidi Hi again

Having just looked at the spec for this super zoom camera I can see that, for the most part, it will fit the bill for you Heidi. There are a few small criticisms but in areas that will not affect the purpose you have in mind.

Whilst budget is a priority and I appreciate why it should be, I think you may want to consider the differences between, what is in effect, a super zoom compact and a DSLR. The difference in cost between the P90 at around 299 and the D5000 at around 399 is around 25%. With the latter you will have the facility of interchangeable lenses and filters, better file sizing and more control over your images by shooting in camera raw, the facility to use external light sources which is a must for any studio type work and a greater range of shutter and light settings.

The P90 is a compact and is still in the bracket of a point and shoot snapshot camera whatever anyone might say. If I wanted to buy a compact super zoom I might just be persuaded to look elsewhere to Casio or Panasonic perhaps, only because I can never get to grips with Nikon compact camera menus and find others easier.

If I want to take good quality images in any studio environment, which for me is my work room, I need the right lens, the right lighting and control of the cameras shutter. I am not interested in megapixels the more there are the less control I have over speed at lower light levels, 10 megapixels is plenty with the right lighting and lens.

As others will quite rightly point out make is a matter of personal choice and the fact that I prefer Nikon should not really play any part in this. With a modern DSLR you have choice, control and flexibility and this, I believe, will reflect ultimately in picture quality.

Learning to use an SLR camera has never been easier. Gone are the days where experimenting with light and shutter speed cost oodles of cash having films developed. Now you can shoot 100 frames, upload them and and bin 99 of them. Once you have bought the camera everything else is virtually free of charge.

I believe that there are DSLRs on the market that will better suit your purpose and will also fit your budget. Should you choose the P90, however, you can be pretty well assured that it will take good pictures as will virtually all the cameras in the same price range but you may just miss out on the additional versatility of the SLR.

Kind regards......................Clive

craftymarketers
08-07-2010, 02:26 PM
My advice would be for you to buy a nikon d5000 dslr, we have one of these! Absolutely first rate optics as always from nikon and magnificent build quality! its got point and shoot options for those just learning about dslr's and more advanced user selectable controls. highly recomended