PDA

View Full Version : dress material suppliers

pinklaces34
26-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Hi all. is there anyone out there who knows where to get cheap dress material from. I have just started to sew and I am wanting to make some items for my grandchildren, so want young children material! any ideas.
Thank you

PeggyCrafts
26-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Hello there,

Where are you based? There is a great chain of shops called Abakhan (I'm sure you'll find it if you google it) but I think they are mostly in the north west and wales. But they do online orders and are quick to deliver.

sparklyshoes
26-04-2010, 03:43 PM
And Fabricland if you have one close. Or they do mail order from the Ringwood depot.

I get loads of fabric from there for the dresses I make, good lining, lawn etc.

pinklaces34
26-04-2010, 05:51 PM
hi there, i am based in Brighouse, west yorkshire. thank you for your links, i will have a look online to see if i can find it. its difficult when you first start out, because you waste more than you use and the material is too expensive to just throw away. once again, thank you for your help
regards
pinklaces

sparklyshoes
26-04-2010, 06:01 PM
could always try ebay?

If you end up getting more than you need, you could always swaps with someone on here. My fabric stash is getting out of control!!!

Have fun
Krysia

Mazzabags
26-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Hi there

I too am always on the look out for new sources of fabric and am always buying! My stash is now huge but somehow I still need more!

Marion

http://www.mazzabags.co.uk
Mazzabags Facebook page

Seahorse
26-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Fabricland is fantastic, I think they deliver.

Bijoux_Fairs
09-06-2010, 03:29 PM
is the fabricland fabric good quality? I have had a look at their website and like a few different prints but I am concerned the cotton will be too thin for dresses. I am also just starting to make my own clothes so want a reasonable supplier before my technique improves enough to get something more expensive.

The Cloth Seller
11-07-2010, 06:11 AM
If you're worried about wasting fabric when something goes wrong, you could always make up a practise version first. A lot of people use muslin which is about the cheapest fabric you can get. Or I tend to use old sheets - you can pick them up for pennies from charity shops.

Caroleecrafts
11-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Chawla's (http://www.efabrics.co.uk/) is another, I use them, very good and very quick

AlicesWonderland
14-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Yes, Chawla's is good and a very good price. I used some lovely red and white heart fabrics for dresses for my daughters and it was well priced. A bit on the light side but perfect for summer.