PDA

View Full Version : Help What is this called and where can you buy?

craftybeader
18-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I went to a polymer clay workshop today and there were some metal frames (not cutters) circular and square. They had holes round the edge of them and the tutor said that the polymer clay stays in it. The whole frame is then used in jewellery making,after the polymer clay is baked. Any ideas?

ejralph
18-04-2010, 07:44 PM
I know the things you mean.

They were made by Fimo, but sadly it is now a discontinued product.

Years ago, I bought a similar thing in one of the big craft fair chains over in Canada, by a company called Elite Better Beads (here is an old online clay project that uses them http://www.pcpolyzine.com/november2001/gands.html )

So I would advise checking polymer clay suppliers and seeing if you can find the Fimo brand metal frames, failing that look for the Elite Better Beads brand alternatives maybe? Although I had a quick google for the Elite ones and couldn't find them here.

I am looking at some other product lines that work on a similar way that I may bring to EJR Beads. It is a bit too soon to say for sure though - I still need to test out the product and see if I am happy with it.

I don't know why Fimo stopped supplying their frames. I thought they were pretty cool.

craftybeader
18-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks Emma, I just thought that they looked a great idea! It will be fantastic if you get them for your website.
BTW any sign of the extruders yet?

ejralph
18-04-2010, 08:36 PM
No on the extruders sadly - they won't be available for a couple of weeks yet. They have a despatch date at the end of the week and then they will take a little while to arrive with us. I am checking with the manufacturers daily though and if I can get them in any quicker, believe me I will! I have a list as long as your arm of people waiting for them!

Emma

krielj
22-04-2010, 03:12 PM
OOh those frames are fab! Now don't laugh at this but I made a couple of successful pendants using silver plated curtain rings as "frames" with polymer clay inside. I think they look really funky hanging on a silver chain. I will try to take some pics and post here.

P.S. I still love my extruder (sorry - just making you jealous!)