PDA

View Full Version : how to become self employed?

MrsMeow
15-04-2010, 05:44 PM
i want to start selling online but have no idea how to declare myself as a business or get a tax number of anything like that?!

beadsbydesign
15-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Just ring the Inland Revenue and you can register over the phone.

CreativeFabrics
17-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Here's a page at HMRC to get you started, plus it has more links to read up on:
[/URL][URL]http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/iwtregister-as-self-employed.htm (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/se1.pdf)

Daesul
17-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Ditto to both the above. Don't be scared either, when I registered by phone they couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful.

Goldfynche
13-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Above all. If you are thinking of setting up a full, or even a part time business. Do NOT be tempted to evade income tax or NI. Because, they will find you. Particularly, if you attempt to advertise. Most tax offices have a department, whose sole purpose is to seek out tax evaders, and you will eventually get a phone call, or a letter. Dear Sir/Madam. Our records show that.......

muffin789
13-09-2010, 12:47 PM
If you do a search on the forum there are loads of helpful threads which I've found invaluable.

Sarah

AnnieAnna
14-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Apart from registering with the tax man the only? other thing you HAVE to do is put an earthly address on your website if you are selling on line and an address (and probably phone number) on your 'business' stuff eg letters, invoices, receipts, cards etc. if you are selling off line/on thr ground.

There are are couple of things it might be a very good idea to do - like insure everything and keep a record of money out and money in.

Apart from that you can just do it.

HeatherK
10-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Hi
I am planning to set up a little business in the near future. I have been in contact with Business Link, who are very good. I have a dedicated advisor who has met with me and I've also booked on a couple of courses. Definitely worth getting in touch with them if possible. It doesn't matter how big or small your plans are.

Heather

Joanne Smith
10-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Is this something that is compulsory when having a website?

jencel
10-01-2011, 06:54 PM
And if you scroll down to the bottom of this thread, you'll see a list of similar threads, where you should pick up more advice.

AnnieAnna
11-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Joanne - the answer is yes if you are using your website to sell (or advertise that you sell) anything. No, if your website is saying look at me, I'm wonderful and am giving away everything I make for free.

It's selling, that triggers it off. Not having a website....if you see the difference.

angelasmith0
18-01-2011, 08:05 AM
It would be yes especially if you are going for a big business as most goverments require. Should you have more questions on what are necessary requirement to register your business, you can search it online so you will already have at least a bit knowledge about it. :)

paul platten
29-01-2011, 09:22 PM
If you are selling for profit ie: making something with the intent on reselling then you need to register with the Revenue. However, Class 2 NIC is only payable if your earnings exceed 5075 in 2010/11. Generally you will be asked to pay from day 1 BUT it is possible to reclaim the contributions.

The contributions DO count towards your state pension BUT if you are getting child benefit in your name you will be given Home Responsibilities Protection for the year anyway so if you are on low earnings its really worth getting advice to see if you actually need to pay Class 2

AnnieAnna
29-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Er.....I saw this from Monika21 in my email notification and can't see it on the thread:
"I have been self employed for the last ten years, only now starting to see daylight. I started with no savings and advice from the wrong people. Honesty and truthfullness is in short supply these days"

Anyway, I'd just like to add that if you have a niche/different/ weirdo idea for making a bit of money be very careful of advice from people who are doing something completely different. Their advice will be good for them but not necessarily for you. (In my experience completely off beam.) Listen to as many people as you can find who are doing similar to what you'd like to do but if you are a complete original, I'm afraid you are going it alone. Trial and error and all that.