PDA

View Full Version : Craft for charity project

shpangle
08-04-2010, 09:24 AM
I am not sure if this has been done before but I took inspiration from a group of wood turners I visited a few weeks ago. Once a year they work on a large project such as a child's rocking horse, however they each do a bit and then it is all pieced together and then auctioned for charity.

Now I thought what a good idea for the craft forum. There are many talented members each with their own unique skills. If we could all produce a bit of a large project (not sure what lol) and then have the final piece auctioned for charity...great exposure for the craft forum and great for the members.

Mick

Glitz and Glamour
08-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Great idea, we could auction of a hamper of some of our lovely goodies. Would be a wonderful prize for someone to receive. Just think no present or card worries for a period of time.:mf:I would be interested definetly.

tipsylipsy
08-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Sounds like a great idea Mick if I can I'd love to help :D

Moonbeam Angel
08-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Great idea. Who would pick the charity?

charlieb78
08-04-2010, 10:24 AM
I was thinking of this the other day ... I'd posted a link a few weeks ago about a little girl called Stella who has a form of cancer and needs to get treatment in the USA ... I was thinking of making something to sell that all profits would go to Stellas charity ... but then I got stuck on what would I make and who would buy it ????

etvoila
08-04-2010, 12:20 PM
I would love to help - don't know how a papercrafter can help with wooden rocking horses - but please let me know.

rachy
08-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I would like to do something like this too! To echo Moonbeam Angel's thoughts though - who would pick the charity? I'm sure we all have charites which are close to our hearts........

pepsi
08-04-2010, 02:17 PM
I saw something like this done at Christmas.
Polymer clay artists donated Hand made tree ornaments to fill a Christmas tree.
The tree and the decorations were auctioned off on Ebay,
They raised lot of money.
Not sure what we could all make. Maybe fill a craft stall?
Anyway count me in Mick. xxx :D

shpangle
08-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Some great ideas and thanks so much to the people who have expressed an interest.

Love the idea of a hamper and having a craft stall. I agree though that it would take loads of planning and the picking of the charity(s) is an issue.

It was just a thought of mine having seen the wood turners and how much they make each year for charity (they donate to the local air-ambulance). Just thought we could all use our tallents for the benefit of others.

Mick

Mushroom
08-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Just seen this, but I like the idea too - not sure a repurposed handbag would be the right idea though, but I am considering a new line in wheat bags:p

Seriously though, any sewing theme I could help with, there are people who have put quilts together for charities? Everyone did a square or something.

Lynda

FlirtyMyrtle
08-04-2010, 10:39 PM
The quilt is a great idea for all the sewers (sewing people, not where your toilet flushes!) I'd love to do something too, though I don't know what. Regarding the charity, how about people make suggestions and then run a poll, whichever charity gets the most votes gets the cash?
Jo

charlieb78
09-04-2010, 08:41 AM
I love the quilt idea ... could that then not be addapted to suit all the different kinds of crafts so we could do some kind of mosaic for all the different crafts ... so sewers could do fabric which would be like a quilt .... the crafters who make cards could do a square of card that would all be put together to make a large picture ???? etc (it makes sense in my tired brain this morning !!!)

Charlie

Moonbeam Angel
09-04-2010, 12:08 PM
I think the idea of running a poll to pick the charity is a brilliant idea.

shpangle
09-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi,

I had a fit of inspiration last night and thought, wouldn't it be good to have a website devoted to crafters where they can sell their products (like Misi etc) but with a percentage of the sales going to charity. It could be developed so that any charities sponsoring the site would benefit from the sales.

I know of one craft site that kind of does this already but it is devoted to only one charity.

So I typed in www. craftforcharity . com into the toolbar and guess what....looks like someone has beaten me to it!!! :o

Mick

Makedoandmend
09-04-2010, 09:27 PM
So I typed in www. craftforcharity . com into the toolbar and guess what....looks like someone has beaten me to it!!! :o

Mick

But no-one has bought the UK version - www.craftforcharity.co.uk (http://www.craftforcharity.co.uk) is available for purchase at 8.50 for 2 years. Plus the .com has been purchased by an American so may be just for companies in the US.

jewellerybymia
09-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Please do count me in too :) I think it's great idea to suggest charities and then run a poll. I think we could even get some media interested in our idea so we can have higher bids from customers to raise for the charity.

I create handmade jewellery.... please let me know if this sounds terrible, but maybe we can have little handmade silver hearts and shapes on the outside of the quilt... although this would make it not children firendly... so not sure... just brainstormin ;)

Let me know where you think jewellery can fit into this as you see I'm really keen

Mia x

Makedoandmend
09-04-2010, 09:40 PM
I think given the number of different crafts people do on here a hamper or range or different prizes would probably be easier than trying to incorporate several different crafts into 1 item.

Maybe it could be done as a fundraising raffle at one of the big craft shows. I'm sure ICHF (who run Hobbycrafts, Sewing For Pleasure etc) would be interested.

shpangle
10-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi all,

Some fantastic ideas and support!

I don't have a clue where to take this now and it probably needs some craft forum senior/owner input especially if the craft forum wants to have their name behind it...I like the idea of having a stall of some sort at a large craft show though, selling all our products, raising awareness for the craft forum, supporting charities etc. Maybe we could also use the day(s) as some kind of craft forum member gathering as well :D

By the way, I have only gone and bought craftforcharity.co.uk....not sure what I am going to do with it yet but watch this space :o

Mick

charlieb78
10-04-2010, 12:58 PM
By the way, I have only gone and bought craftforcharity.co.uk....not sure what I am going to do with it yet but watch this space :o

Mick

Haha nothing like bitting the bullet x

Decima
10-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Great idea, count us in. Lots of good suggestions and support. It's exciting isn't it????

Eileen

jewellerybymia
07-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Hi Mick,

Know you were really busy :) but any update or plan for the site ;) can't wait to see the latest news ;)

Mia x

Aviya Glass
08-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Just seen this, unsure why I missed it first time round but I would be interested in contributing too! Would it be easier to set up an Etsy/Folksy/Misi/other shop for this purpose?

Critchley
08-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I too have only just read this thread, don't know why I missed it either. Can I put in my two pennyworth if it helps.

The quilt idea is good but someone has to take responsibility for the finishing and that is quite a big job. I would happily contribute applique'd squares for that.

The hamper - you could do a couple, one for an adult and one for a child that way all the knitters interested can contribute to the child one easier and the jewellers etc., to the adult one.

I will help in any way I can, just ask.

shpangle
14-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Hi all,

Just in case you missed my blog entry. While I was deep in thought about what to do with hampers and quilts etc, I have built this site: Crafts for Charity (http://www.craftsforcharity.co.uk). It is a starting point for what I want to achieve (and basically to see how successful and popular the whole idea of raising money for charities through arts and crafts is).

Mick

shpangle
15-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Sorry to confuse everyone, but Crafts for Charity (http://www.craftsforcharity.co.uk) is a crafts directory where you can list your website/blog/foksy etc and to do so you just make a very small donation to one of ten charities. If you cannot find a suitable charity in my list, I am open to suggestions!

I have plans to develop it further in the future to enable selling etc but at the moment it is a directory.

p.s. Somebody has suggested a new category of 'Dog Collars' to it and unfortunately I cannot see who it was...I will be adding a 'pet crafts' category for you this afternoon.

Many thanks and please take a look!

Mushroom
17-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Just a gentle nudge to be sure everyone has seen this, plenty of interest earlier in the thread. I think there are now 11 charities to choose from, its very easy to join - just a small donation and one more avenue in which to advertise your site whilst helping out some of the charities with much needed funds, after all every little helps.

Come on everyone the more of us there are the more hits, and the more our crafts get noticed.

Lynda

Curious Cat
17-05-2010, 06:23 PM
I need to get my bottom over to the site and work out how to contribute!! Too many jobs!! lol
cj :)

shpangle
17-05-2010, 06:42 PM
I need to get my bottom over to the site and work out how to contribute!! Too many jobs!! lol
cj :)

Many thanks for the listing and especially the donation :) I will add you in after tea! (and blog about you at the end of the week).

Thanks again!
Mick