PDA

View Full Version : Cupcake Icing

ilovebags
20-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi Everyone, i am making a lot of cupcakes for my daughters birthday party next weekend, now i have tried and tried to get the buttercream icing to a decent consistency to pipe onto them, and mine always seems to flop in the middle!

Does anyone have any recipes that will work!

I also need a icing and cake recipe for the giant cupcake as making that too lol

Sarah

beaderselbow
20-03-2010, 10:44 PM
We made 8 doz cupcakes last weekend for the Mothers day service and must admit we cheated and used Betty Crocker vanilla then added a little food colouring. You need to find a "frosting" recipe,American, as I have heard they hold their form much better

removed10
21-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Flopping in the middle...hmmm. The only thing I can imagine is that the cupcake is emitting warmth or moisture??? Keep them pretty cool after frosting them.

I have made buttercream frosting a couple of ways - warm the butter until is is quite soft, add a couple cups of powdered sugar (sifted) and stir it until smooth...refrigerate...then when fairly well chilled, add more powdered sugar until you get it the way you want it.

I've also used heavy whipping cream. Start whipping it...get it going...add sifted powdered sugar every so often...until you have what you want.

If you want chocolate butter cream, add some cocoa to the initial powdered sugar (sifted as well).

I never add vanilla, but I do add a few drops of food coloring. The yucky frosting (makes me ill) at the grocery store bakery...the kind that stains your lips and teeth and tongue - they must add food coloring paste to get it that intense.

Oh, and anytime you get your frosting too stiff, just add a teaspoon or so of cream...be careful to not add too much.

Rosamundi
21-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I use 1 x 250g packet of unsalted butter which I leave out until soft (or zap for 20 secs in microwave 'cause the house is cold), but in mixer bowl and beat, add 1 x 500g packet of icing sugar and slowly beat in (wipe glasses 'cause I can't see for snow storm), melt 100g chocolate (white or plain) and add that to the mixture when it is really very pale, mix again and add up to 1 tablespoon of milk until the mixture soft enough to ice with.

One tip I would pass on though so save on the cleaning up is the use disposable icing bags.

The large cupcake you are planning to make - is it using the cake pan from Lakeland.co.uk - if so it says it takes a 6 egg sponge mix.

ilovebags
21-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the replys, i think i am making it too wet!

The pan i am renting from a local party shop, but i assume its the same as the one from lakeland lol

Have been reading about all the problems with the cooking time and it not cooking in the middle lol found a suggestion about putting a wet clean tea towel over the top side to keep it from cooking too quick

Sarah

ilovebags
26-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Well here it is, first attempt at the actual cake its a little crispy round the edges so going to take a little longer and cook on a lower heat :)

http://twitpic.com/1aw4xt

So next attempt tonight :) made some chocolate cupcakes from a recipe from cupcake style website and they are gorgeous, but need to make sure i only half fill the cases as they kinda exploded and foamed everywhere hehe

Sarah

removed10
28-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Impressive!! You've done a fabulous job on the frosting. Ahhh, now I want a cupcake....:)

Little_hands
29-03-2010, 05:04 AM
lol .... love the cup cake. They look great don't they?

The crispy outside is the problem I have and it's driving me nuts. There is this large cake thing you can buy which is like a metal rod you insert in the middle to help cook through which I think I may invest in and see if that helps.
xxx

theclassroommanchester
12-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Hi there - I make cupcakes all the time for weddings and people (new to this forum!) - I'd suggest 250g of unsalted butter - has to be fairly soft - I use Willow normally (Lurpak is a nightmare to pipe) I beat it with Icing sugar (and a colour if needed) and vanilla essence and put it in to a piping bag, put it in the fridge for 20 minutes and it always pipes no problems. Sometimes the warmth from your hands can warm it up a little too much though - so good to have cold hands!

Eiledon
12-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Sue McMahon writes in her book Cupcakes of a Swiss meringue buttercream.
4 medium egg whites
250g caster sugar
pinch of salt
250g unsalted butter, softened
Few drops of vanilla extract
Place the egg whites,sugar and salt in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and mx together well. Stir frequently white heating to prevent the egg whites from cooking.
After about 5-10 minutes, when the mixture is warm and the sugar crystals have dissolved, remove the bowl from the heat. Whisk the meringue to full volume and until the mixture is cool.
Add the butter and vanilla extract to the meringue- the mixture will reduce in volume and will appear curdled. Continue to whisk until the butter emulsifies completely into the meringue and forms a smooth, light and fluffy texture.
This buttercream is stable for 1-2 days at room temperature (no higher than 15 degrees C/59 degrees F), otherwise it may be refrigerated for up to two weeks.
Makes enough for 12 standard size cupcakes or 24 mini cupcakes.

Hi Everyone, i am making a lot of cupcakes for my daughters birthday party next weekend, now i have tried and tried to get the buttercream icing to a decent consistency to pipe onto them, and mine always seems to flop in the middle!

Does anyone have any recipes that will work!

I also need a icing and cake recipe for the giant cupcake as making that too lol

Sarah

All About Cake
12-04-2010, 08:56 PM
lol .... love the cup cake. They look great don't they?

The crispy outside is the problem I have and it's driving me nuts. There is this large cake thing you can buy which is like a metal rod you insert in the middle to help cook through which I think I may invest in and see if that helps.
xxx

If the outside gets too crispy I find wrapping the tin in a double layer of greaseproof really helps and a piece of greaseproof over the top. It helps the cake to bake evenly without doming in the centre and cracking and the outside cooking too quick before the centre does. I put a tray of water in the bottom of the oven helps to keep the cake moist
allaboutcakeuk

Scorch
13-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Sue McMahon writes in her book Cupcakes of a Swiss meringue buttercream. Note that this recipe contains raw eggs. You might not want to give that to those of a delicate disposition, like children and frailer elderly people.

Buttercream is just softened butter and LOTS of icing sugar beaten together to taste, softened with evaporated or condensed milk if necessary. You want to so it in a warm room, so the butter is soft, and you'll be amazed how much icing sugar it'll take. By the time you've beaten in enough icing sugar to make it not taste greasy, it can be a bit stiff for piping - that's where the milk comes in. Add enough to make it just soft enough to pipe with force. If you add too much, just add more icing sugar - it won't hurt, and will in fact taste less greasy.

Make sure your cakes are COMPLETELY cold befor you ice them, or the icing will melt and run. Putting butter-iced items in the fridge will only make the icing sweat, so keep them in a tin instead, somewhere cool. Cooling, and exposure to the air, wll make the icing harden just a tad on the outside - this is normal.

Rosamundi
14-04-2010, 06:27 AM
If anyone fancies a few extra cupcake idea Delia Smith's website http://www.deliaonline.com/news-and-features/cupcakes.html has just posted some readers recipes

Rosamundi
14-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Hi there - I make cupcakes all the time for weddings and people (new to this forum!)

Hi
Out of interest how far in advance do you make them for weddings please?
I'm only asking because I've got to make a load for a friends wedding in September.