PDA

View Full Version : Fab Crochet Book!

countrygirl
20-03-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm not sure if this post should be here or in knitting and needlecraft so my apologies if it is in the wrong place.

After a visit to the library yesterday evening a picked up a copy of COMPENDIUM OF CROCHET TECHNIQUES-300 tips,techniques and trade secrets. I have to say it is a fantastic read for anyone like myself that is new to crochet. It makes stitches that seem too detailed for you to master (well for my anyway :rolleyes:) and shows you actually how simple they are. I am so pleased i found this book. It has been a great information source for me. :D

T x

Critchley
20-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the tip. I will have a look next time I am in there.

Alice21
20-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the tip.
They've got it on Amazon from about 8.00 it's by Jan Eaton I've got one of her books she's really good.

Critchley
20-03-2010, 12:39 PM
mm, Being a pensioner I will try the Library first but if not I am grateful for that info.

countrygirl
20-03-2010, 01:31 PM
And being a thrifty mummy,i will stick to the library too but definatly a very good price on amazon for anyone wanting to purchase it as the cover price is 15.99.

T x

Enfys
20-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Jan Eaton writes excellent crochet books. I haven't seen this one but will be having a look for it.

I have just been to my library online and put a hold on one.

Moonbeam Angel
20-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Try The Book Depository. They are excellent, great service and FREE post and packing.

I have used them several times now and cannot fault them! very good prices too, often cheaper than Amazon.

Jan Eaton's books are great - have a look at 2oo Crochet Blocks, I find that really useful.

Enfys
24-03-2010, 02:48 PM
I picked up the copy I ordered from the library today, will let you all know what I think.

Enfys
26-03-2010, 10:01 AM
I have to say, this book is REALLY good!

I don't often rave over newer crochet books as I usually find them quite dull and boring, with no new ideas. I am a big fan of Sylvia Cosh and James Walters and rarely see anything which rivals their innovative books.

However, I am seriously considering splashing out on this one - especially as I have found it on eBay for just over 10.

I would not recommend it for a new crocheter. The infomation would seem very confusing. Although she does give instructions for the basic stitches, I don't feel that a learner would manage to crochet from this book.

However, once you have mastered the basics and got a little confidence, there is so much in this book that can improve your crocheting no end. There are loads of little tips that can help you follow patterns and even begin to design your own.

If you are looking for one of those books that sits on the shelf and comes out when you have a problem or are looking for an idea, this is it.

countrygirl
26-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi Helen,

You are right. I have only just learnt the basic stiches which i found that if i flicked between THE CROCHET BIBLE and the new crochet mag thats out at the moment i could make sense of them.However..the less basic stiches i gave up on because they were wrote in patterns or not so informative diagrams. The COMPENDIUM of CROCHET TECHNIQUES has lots of lovely very clear precise step by step photos which were a great help to me. I would recommend it to anyone.
I am pleased you enjoyed it. I have just mastered the grannie square so hopefully if i have a peaceful house ;) this evening i may try another pattern! :)

T x

countrygirl
27-03-2010, 09:38 AM
What a find! I have just discovered in a knitting mag is was reading last night that there is a COMPENDIUM of KNITTING TECHNIQUES too.
I guess its another trip to the library! :D

T x

Enfys
11-04-2010, 10:36 AM
So did you try another pattern?

Curious minds want to know.

And I thought that book was so good that I bought a copy on Amazon for only 7.95