PDA

View Full Version : Teddies in bed cake

janiejakemum
07-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Hi all

I am new here, i normally post on the soap section but thought i'd come over here for some cake advise.

I am about to embark on a large birthday cake for my daughters 5th birthday party. I would like to make her a big bed aprox 12" square and i would like to put 5 faces in it (she will be 5). Initially i thought about bunnies then bears then i went through a phase of thinking i could do one bunny one bear one dog one cat and a frog!

Anyway, Can anyone point me in the right direction for some guidance on making my "faces"?

I was intending to make them out of rolled fondant and sticking them together with edible glue - do i make each section then wait for it to dry or do i stick the bits on straight away? - How do i ensure the colours wont run?

For the bed i would like to get the effect of blanket on the top - i.e not perfectly flat - is there a secret to acheiving this or are there any suggestions?

I have made both my children home made crafted cakes since birth but never really showed them to anyone other than family - this time there will be 40 other kids with a lot of the parents! So my experience and equipment is very limited. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thank you in advance

Emma

the card shark
07-03-2010, 08:05 PM
I once made a 'mouse bed' - Think it was an 8in x 12in cake with about 5 or 6 mice snuggled up under the covers.

I made a headboard and a shorter one for the foot of the bed about two weeks before. Rolled out sugarpaste to about 5mm thick and cut out using a cardboard template I'd made. Then left to dry on an old cake board that had been very well dusted with icing sugar.

I found mouse heads easier to mould than teddy bears or other characters. I'd start with a round ball of grey sugarpaste and then roll one side into a point. I made two indentations for eyes and filled these in with white sugarpaste. I made little grey eyelids to either completely cover the white sugarpaste or leave some of the white showing as if they were just peeking out. Flattened circles of grey sugarpaste that were pinched slightly on one side became ears and I stuck these to the back of the heads. Eye detail, eyelashes, mouths, nose tips, whiskers etc. were painted on with black food colouring after the heads were positioned in situ on the cake.

I have a photo of the cake but it's not a digital one so I'd have to scan it into the computer to share. Let me know if you'd like to see it.

janiejakemum
08-03-2010, 08:03 AM
I'd love to see it if its not too much trouble. I was wondering about how to have different expressions if i stick to one species of animal so your cake might be able to inspire me there too.

x

janiejakemum
08-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I wasn't going to do a head board because i thought it would be too hard and maybe collapse but i am going to try. I will make it this afternoon, my intention is to cut it out quite chunky then paint it brown to try and get a wood effect. You say i need to just put it onto a spare cake board dusted with icing sugar - should i cover it or put it anywhere special. The party isnt until 20th march so it will have 12 days to harden - is that ok. I would like to paint both sides of the head board how long should i leave one side to dry before i can paint the other? Is there anything i can do to stop the icing sugar clumping to it?

Also i don't know if you'd be able to comment but i was hoping to cover the cake board with fondant and try to get a "carpet" look by using the end of the star piping tube pressed into it. Do i need to do that asap too to make sure its hard before i put the cake on top of it?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any help you can offer me, i am unfortunately a bit of a perfectionist so have to give it 100%.

the card shark
08-03-2010, 11:58 AM
The headboard: you do need to allow the air to get to it so it dries hard. Keep it away from steam and water (so avoid the kitchen). Nobody needs to eat it so the harder the better! I suggested the use of an old cakeboard because it's nice and flat and if you've made cakes in the past you probably still have one. But you could use a large book that's been covered with greaseproof or baking parchment paper.

The facial expressions: I'm no expert but get by. There will be loads of online resources for sugarcraft and polymer clay characters.

Carpet: I didn't cover the board when I did my mouse bed. Looking back, I think it would have looked better if I had done. I don't think you need to emboss a pattern as the focus of attention will be the bed.

Photo: I'm happy to scan and post a photo. I'll do this later this evening. :)

janiejakemum
08-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Did you do anything to your fondant for the headboard?, I have just been to my local cake shop and the lady strongly advised me not to make a headboard as it will probably snap or just collapse she suggested cutting up a thin cake board and covering it with buttercream.

I asked her if i should buy an additive for the fondant i.e. tragacanth but she said no i should make it out of the card?

Did you have any problems either making it or attaching it?

Looking around online i notice a lot of people use gingerbread but im not sure......

What do you think?

silvermaid
08-03-2010, 02:54 PM
You could use ice cream wafer biscuits as the headboard. If you left them as they were they would look a bit like pine, or you could cover them with icing or chocolate. If you decide to use just icing a chocolate icing would be easier than painting it, and you could impress a wood pattern with something like stiff card.
I think the 'bodies' would be easier to make using extra sponge cake and shaped. All icing may be a bit too sweet.
You could make the bedspread look quilted by pressing a (clean) comb into the icing to give the impression of stitches.
Have a look on google images for bed cake and you will find lots of inspiration.

Melanie

fairycakes1972
08-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Emma,

If I were you, I would make the headboard out of Pastillage. It dries absolutely ROCK hard and is able to support itself, unlike sugarpaste would. If I were to use sugarpaste, I would add CMC to it to make it into a modelling paste that wil set hard (not as hard and strong as pastillage) but very near.

If you have access to a library, see if you can get yourself a copy of Debbie Browns Enchanted Cakes, as there is a Sleeping Beauty cake in there and she shows you how to make the bed.

I would cover the board and either use a star nozzle or a clean pan scourer to create texture on it.

To get the blanket effect, I would add a bit of CMC to your sugarpaste which will enable you to roll it out a lot thinner than you would normally. I would 'build' some ridges on the bed with sausages of sugarpaste, then lay the blanket over them and mould it around them. Does that make sense????

For the face moulding, I'd have a look at some clay modelling sites and see what they have by way of inspiration.

Hope that's all make sense and I haven't confused you more!!!

Good luck!

the card shark
09-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Here are my photos. I painted a patchwork quilt cover with paste food colourings. I've just realised that I made this cake about 13 years ago.

My modelling isn't perfect but it should give you some ideas.

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo253/CLshark/MouseBed2.jpg

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo253/CLshark/MouseBed1.jpg

I don't know what CMC is. However, if you add gum tragacanth this will enable the sugarpaste to be that much more flexible. I too recommend that pastillage is used for a headboard. I think I mixed some flower paste with the sugarpaste to make my headboard. i didn't suggest these options before because I wasn't sure how much sugarcraft experience you had. :)

janiejakemum
09-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Wow, thats really good, love the mice and the quilt looks fab. I hope mine turns out as good, although im not very good.

I went and bought some Tragacanth today from a different cake shop which is the same as CMC, i didnt know how thick to make my head board - i kind of think its too thick im not sure if it will be safer thicker or thiner?

How do you stick the headboard on? It will obviously be made of fondant and sticking to the matress/bed also fondant so do i just use udible glue?, i read somewhere that it shouldn't touch buttercream because the fat will do something to it - is that right?

Thanks so much for posting the pic's and for taking the time to help me.

Em

the card shark
09-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm pleased to help. :)

I think I used buttercream to stick the headboard to the cake! You're right about the grease element, though.

You could use royal icing. If you don't want to make it with raw egg white, buy one of the 'just add water' royal icing mixes. Make it nice and thick like cement!

fairycakes1972
09-03-2010, 05:40 PM
I agree with Carol, use Royal Icing to stick the headboard on!

Out of interest Emma, which cake shop did you go to?

Beckie

dawndunn
17-03-2010, 10:07 PM
For any tips on modelling faces / people then Lorraine McKay is a must !! if you google her you should come across her website. She also sells tutorials online which are really reasonable.
There are also videos from her website.

extraicing.co.uk

I know she is teaching in LA this week, so there may not be replies to the tutorial request. She has lots of free stuff on there too