PDA

View Full Version : Nice strong smell, not lavender?

Sketchstitch
06-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I am thinking about putting some dried petals into some little owls Im making but Im not sure which ones would still keep a nice strong smell-I must admit Im not that keen on lavender. I have some rose petals drying at the moment but Im worried that when they are dry they will not have much smell.

If anyone can suggest an alternative to lavender it would be much appreciated.

removed10
06-03-2010, 12:13 PM
I love Geranium (Rose) essential oil, also called Egyptian Geranium...VERY nice rose scent...rather expensive, but long lasting. Litsea Cubeba is a lovely lemony EO.

Now, here is probably more info than you wanted - but might be interesting for you -

Get some FiberFixative, or sometimes called Fiberfix (I get it at save-on-crafts.com). It sounds like a dietary supplement...oh my...but it's actually little tiny bits of dried corncob used in potpourri. It holds fragrance really well and looks good in with your florals. Many people use orris root but I do not like it, and it is an allergen for some people.

Fill a pint jar half way with fiber fixative, add some EO or FO...about a tablespoon...put the lid on and shake it up, put it on a shelf out of light and heat, and leave it for a week, tightly covered. Then check it, add more fixative if it's too strong...

Your dried rose petals are not going to keep any scent of their own. Really good quality lavender buds will look pretty with them, and the scent you add to your fixative will most likely balance the lavender scent that you do not like. Dried bay leaves look nice also, and smell nice.

Since this is not going on skin, read about clove EO, and Black Pepper EO, both of which I like...well, you can read all about many essential oils at mountainroseherbs.com/

Read the warning info on each EO you are interested in. Not all EOs or FOs can be used in candles or in soaps, but pretty much any that are safe in aroma therapy, soap or candles can be used in potpourri. Always read about an EO's or FO's specific intended use before ordering. Some are not good for pregnant ladies, children, people with seizure disorders, liver ailments, etc...read, read, read. Some are not good on skin. And no EO should be used directly on skin anyway.

Get books at the library...we forget about the library in these days of internet use. Be sure any internet source is reliable.

Sketchstitch
06-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Thankyou Cosmic Grammie, your have been a huge help, I didnt expect so much info but I really appreciate it. I have a much better understanding now and know what to look out for (and I will do more reading up on the essential oils)

Fiona_JMD
06-03-2010, 08:25 PM
I love the geranium too and also neroli oil is beautiful

Mushroom
06-03-2010, 09:57 PM
I love the owls you have on your blog. I just posted in the mothers day thread that I am stuck for what to get my Mum - she is an owl fan, but has far too many ornaments that take too long to dust, so I am always looking out for something different. Love your idea of fragrant owl, going to follow your blog to await their arrival, bit short notice now for mothers day, but there is always her birthday:D

Good Luck with it.
Lynda x

removed10
06-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Ah ha! I just looked at your blog - so you are talking about filling cloth owls! I thought you meant little ceramic ones, for some reason.

WELL, in that case, I would not bother with flower petals, etc., but just stuff them and add a handful of scented fiberfix, or even cedar curls. You can saturate cedar curls in a jar as you would the fiber fixative and stuff little bags or shapes with them.

ALSO, the EO or FO may stain the outer owl, so you probably really should make an inner lining for the scented stuff. It can be a simple muslin drawstring pouch...you might make it smaller, and nest it inside the regular stuffing that you use in the owls...

Sketchstitch
07-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi everyone
Lynda thanks for your support its great to hear you like my owls. Im working away on them and I can see my hubby looking like- what is she doing now!?
Cosmic Grammie thanks again, cedar curls scented in a little pouch inside the owl sounds perfect!