PDA

View Full Version : scraps of wood

PrincessPrudence
03-03-2010, 12:46 PM
I want to make a gift for someone who is moving house, and have decided on doing a cross stitch HOME SWEET HOME ... the thing is that rather than frame it I wanted to staple it to wood with some padding under it. Now, as it's only going to be very small, I only need a small square of wood. Do you think it would be cheeky of me to go to a local timber yard and ask if they had any scrap that I could have for it? I can't think of any other way I'll get such a small piece in a short space of time!

bodrighy
03-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Not at all. Also place like B** and Home **** sell their offcuts as well. I picked up 15 pieces 4" x 4" mdf for some discs the other day....50p

Ask and you will receive...don't ask and you don't get

pete

Scorch
03-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Or take a quick tour round the local charity shops, and see what they have that'll do the job - I've used a 10p small hardback children's book for something like that before now!

Minky Magic
03-03-2010, 02:06 PM
I've got all manner of things like that from just asking! I once walked past a building site and saw them using plastic sheets that I wanted for an art project and when I asked where I might be able to get some the kind builder said I could have their off cuts!
You gotta be a bit cheeky!

PrincessPrudence
03-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Ok... it looks like cheeky wins the day so I'll be off to the timber yard later... woo hoo! :)

Minky Magic
03-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Let us know how you get on!

nicewood
20-04-2010, 11:02 PM
You have probably located the wood you wanted by now but if not let me know what you need, if I have something suitable you can have it for the cost of the postage stamp