PDA

View Full Version : Grrr just made my first mistake!

Shary
01-03-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm so cross , received my new extruder and tried it for the first time this morning. It's almost impossible to use without dislocating my thumbs.
I tried to save money and went for the silver plunger type, what a waste of money!!!

Shary
x

olympiart
01-03-2010, 01:26 PM
You are not on your own!
I've this same problem with my silver type extruder.:mad:

ejralph
01-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Ah Shary

Don't worry, you can salvage the situation if you make yourself a set of wooden "bellows"

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB/tools/?action=view&current=18e5.jpg

They can act as a lever to help push the clay out of the extruder.

Before the Makin's Extruders (http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93_45&products_id=2181) came along, all we had was these silver plunger types of extruders, so we had to get inventive as to how to make them usable!

So glad the Makin's ones did come along though :)

Shary
01-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Are the Makin's extruders a lot easier to use or will I be wasting my money again. I have RA so I need them to be pretty easy to use.

Shary
x

ejralph
01-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Are the Makin's extruders a lot easier to use or will I be wasting my money again. I have RA so I need them to be pretty easy to use.

Shary
x

The makins extruders work on a totally different principle, which is you screw the plunger down rather than push it.

So yes, a lot easier.

Although, much depends on the stiffness of your clay, how full the barrel of the extruder is, how small / large the die you are trying to extrude the clay through.

It may still be that even operating that extruder could be hard for your hands - I really couldn't say. I would have though anyone that can open a jam jar easily will have no problem with the makins extruders though - that is a similar movement, if that makes sense.

Seeing that you now have the silver extruder though, it may still make more sense for you to knock up a set of the wooden bellows and stick with that. Since you can then operate that with your foot and its dead easy.

The only downside then is that you can't use the cool additional dies, open-core adaptors etc that can be used with the Makins type extruder.

Emma

Shary
01-03-2010, 05:51 PM
:) I had to go and look didn't I??????? :) Hmmm wondering how long it would take to get to me if I ordered one now? Hubby is home Thursday.:confused:

Shary
x

ejralph
01-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Are you BFPO? Not that I can remember if that arrives any quicker anyway. Usually it doesn't take that long to Germany, but with Royal mail these days - really it's anyone's guess!

Emma

Shary
01-03-2010, 06:20 PM
I can be either BFPO and it usually takes a couple of days later than normal post or I have a German address where I pay that bit extra postage.
But with the BFPO address I have to wait for hubby to bring that post home.:)
I can't remember how long the bead roller took to come now.

Shary
x

Bev478
02-03-2010, 10:48 PM
I also got one of the silver ones. Didn't think I could justify the cost of the Makins ones. Probably another false economy :rolleyes: Have got some Sculpey clay softener to see if that may help.

Thanks to Emma for the link to the bellows. May try that, or I had been trying to figure out some way of utilising a mastic gun. Have visions of clay ending up on the other side of the room tho' :eek: :mf:

ejralph
02-03-2010, 11:41 PM
I think extruders might be one of those areas where a few more pence makes a lot more sense in the long term. Certainly when it comes to saving your hands anyway!

But the bellows are pretty easy to make and at least make the silver plunger-type clay guns usable.

Softening the clay isn't necessarily the answer, because you can only soften it so much before the working qualities will be changed and also it won't be as strong after baking.

Emma

Bev478
03-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Thanks Emma - was a little concerned about how much softener could be safely used, better not get too carried away :rolleyes:

When I was looking to buy, I wish I had found this forum first. It's so useful to be ble to get the advice of more experienced people. Although, as the "cheapo" one I ordered was less than 1/2 the price of the Makins, I probably still would have gone for the cheaper one. Even with my woodworking & diy tools, I tend to buy cheap first, then if I use the tool a lot I upgrade to a better make. If I rarely use it I can make do with the cheapo :)

Shary
03-03-2010, 08:01 AM
I gave in and ordered the Makin's extruder from Emma.
I think that this is one of the times that cheaper is definately not better in the long run. I can't see the plunge extruders doing anything but sitting on my desk and eventually ending up in the bin. If anyone would like them and can make the bellows work for them then give me a shout and I'll pass them on.

Shary
x

ejralph
03-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks Emma - was a little concerned about how much softener could be safely used, better not get too carried away :rolleyes:

When I was looking to buy, I wish I had found this forum first. It's so useful to be ble to get the advice of more experienced people. Although, as the "cheapo" one I ordered was less than 1/2 the price of the Makins, I probably still would have gone for the cheaper one. Even with my woodworking & diy tools, I tend to buy cheap first, then if I use the tool a lot I upgrade to a better make. If I rarely use it I can make do with the cheapo :)

Oh I totally agree with you there - one of the reasons I love polymer clay work is that it is just so cheap to get going.
Often we have the tools already or can adapt stuff at little cost.

So if you can find a way to get on with the cheaper plunger type extruders, that is always good.

The extruders were just one tool that proved particularly difficult for a lot of clayers to use, which is why Makins saw a gap in the market I think to make an extruder that just works in a different, easier way.

I think those of us who had been using the old style extruders and already fallen in love with what they could do were just only too glad to find a better way of doing it!

I used my old type extruder for years though - with wooden bellows, wouldnt have stood a chance extruding Fimo without those. I way prefer the Makins ones though, not only for the easy of use but for the bigger clay barrel - the older ones were just too small for me when I wanted to do extruded canes etc.

But the older style ones do have one black mark against their name I think. And that is, they put people off using extruders with clay. Because they try the old ones, find it impossible and it just goes in the drawer and they they ignore any cool project or technique that calls for an extruder.

Which is why I made the point of it being a good idea to make bellows for the old type, or use the makin's style ones. Because either way, then a clayer can extrude clay easily and a whole new world of projects and techniques opens up to them.

Emma

Bev478
03-03-2010, 10:22 PM
I bought the extruder purely as a result of a book I was reading. There were a couple of projects that interested me that used extruded clay. So I ordered one & then tried to use it :o I'm not exactly a 7 stone weekling, but hell's teeth! Couldn't move it at all :frusty: So it promptly went back in the drawer, where it has remained.

Now I know it's not just me, or an extremely bad extruder, I shall try again. Curious to see what can be done with it :)

ejralph
03-03-2010, 11:32 PM
extruders are so worth exploring, they can be a lot of fun.

You can extrude thin worms of clay to do intricate filigree work.

Or full the plunger with discs of different colours and extrude through the square shaped hole, instant groovy retro canes

You can extrude different shapes to combine together to make quick and easy geometric or quilt canes

The makins extruder even has an adaptor to allow you to extrude hollow tubes in all sorts of shapes, so great for making instant tube beads.

Here is my take on Filigree - excuse the pictures and indeed the work, its pretty old but gives you an idea of what extruded clay can be used for

http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/images/eb68.jpg http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/images/eb67.jpg http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/images/eb65.jpg

Emma

Bev478
04-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Those look great Emma. Your enthusiasm is infectious. I shall dig mine out & see if I can get it to work.