PDA

View Full Version : millinery supplies

Vixxie Jewels
26-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Would anyone be able to recommend any good suppliers for fascinator/hat making supplies. Im looking for covered headbands and a wide range of feathers/flowers etc......can anyone help?
thanx
vickie

Dizzydiza
26-02-2010, 11:52 PM
I use this company but they have a minimum order which is a total pain if you dont need that much.
http://www.millinerwarehouse.co.uk/

I just remembered there is also this company

http://www.carnmeal.com/

Hatta
13-08-2010, 09:40 PM
milliner warehouse have no minimum order if you buy retail they are very near victoria station and if you are only doing small orders it can actually work out cheaper this way.

There is also Maculloch and Wallis and Alders (if you can find one, I use Croydon branch) sells buckram at the cheapest ive ever found it. A meter will make about 8- 10 fascinators bases.

jane corbett
13-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Definitely check out Baxter Hart and Abraham Ltd in Luton (see website) very friendly no minimum
also Parkin Fabric (very good), see website, and facebook for them!
Rui Tong for feather mounts and bits and pieces
for loose feathers you can't beat Jaffe Feathers in Axminster for superb quality

good luck! Tell Baxters I passed you on if you get in touch! They are very very much cheaper than I think anywhere in London by the way and all these places do 1st class post next day service!

chickab
15-08-2010, 03:19 PM
milliner warehouse have no minimum order if you buy retail they are very near victoria station and if you are only doing small orders it can actually work out cheaper this way.

There is also Maculloch and Wallis and Alders (if you can find one, I use Croydon branch) sells buckram at the cheapest ive ever found it. A meter will make about 8- 10 fascinators bases.

Hatta, just out of interest, how do you make the fascinator bases? Do you have to use a stiffner of some sort on the buckram? Ive bought a few fascinator bases in the past and often thought to myself they would be so easy to make.

Hatta
15-08-2010, 08:39 PM
I wet and block (stretch and pin) the buckram over a head shape and it drys stiff into the shape I've blocked it. I'm not entirely sure what type of buckram I have as it was unlabelled when I bought it. It can come with glue in one side or both. I then wire around the edges and cover with fabrics. You can also do this with sinimay which you don't have to cover and comes in different colours. Or you can buy plaited straw and stitch it in a spiral, I've bought bases done that way but haven't tried it myself.

Leahlewi
25-08-2010, 07:31 PM
We have some beautiful vintage style crystal and pearl embellishment that would work amazingly on hats and fascinators!

www.imaginediy.com

Hope that helps.
Leah

Dizzydiza
02-09-2010, 09:05 AM

That's not fair. That's preferential treatment for people going into the shop. I have had to stop making sinamay fascinators cause they have a minimum order of 20 and by the time they add postage it was costing me 28. I was having to buy stuff I didnt need just to get the minimum order. Lucky you Hatta for having the shop on your door step :)

Yolguica
03-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Mod Edit. Please read rules regarding links and advertising.
hope it helps