PDA

View Full Version : Excited - First Market stall tomorrow

vgbear
23-02-2010, 04:58 PM
So very excited. I was made redundant last week and instead of getting another job I am striking out on my own with a market stall. I shall be selling embroidered baby wear, vinyl and embroidered t-shirts and might slip some of by cards on there as well.

Just in the middle of putting all the stock together, I bought an Elna embroidery machine last week and it has been working its little sock off. If I can remember how to post pics I shall put some up. I have remebered to buy carrier bags, have my float, joined the federation of market traders.I am making my banner tonight so now have to remember if I have forgotten anything.

If anyone is around Bury market tomorrow come and say hello.

Fluffy Squirrel
23-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Lots and lots of fliers and/or business cards!!

Good luck, hope it goes really well for you :D

Sue T
23-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Can't think of anything you may have forgotten, just want to wish you all the best luck in the world with your new adventure,
Sue

craftdancer
23-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Good luck with your venture. I hope it works out very well for you.

Linda

AliCat
23-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Very best of luck - hope it goes really well.

Don't forget lots of warm clothing, gloves, hat etc if it is outdoors!

gbell
23-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Lots of luck, I was in the same position and its all worked out well

take some sort of handbag that goes across the body do you dont have to put it down anywhere, take a flask, warm socks!

Curious Cat
23-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Hope you do really well :)

cj :)

wendy
23-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Hope it goes really well for you Vicki.

Wrap up warmer than you think you'll need to, don't forget the flask and fingerless mitts.

Best of luck xx

owllovespanda
23-02-2010, 09:21 PM
good luck, hope it goes well!

befascinated
23-02-2010, 09:38 PM
How exciting well done you taking that huge step - wishing you all the very best of luck!!!!

Just remember to remind everyone that evem glances at your stall you will be there every week so that you can enhance on the potential sales - as said before bus cards etc to handout will be helpful to grab custom from those who dont have cash on them at the time xxx

greannancrafts
23-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Good Luck

Take some sheets of cardboard to stand on - really keeps your feet warm;)

Jane

tim spier
23-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Good Luck will say HI next time we're in Bury
Tim

just sally
24-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Wishing you good luck
have a great day !!!
sally

vgbear
26-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind messages, I thought I would just give you a little update.

Well late Tuesday night I had a small disaster which meant I couldn't do Wenesday and the next one wasnt until Friday which left me a couple more days to prepare.

So I set off this morning at 7am on one of the wettest, dampest, coldest days, hoping it would brighten.

Got there on time and got everything set up for just after 8. I was really pleased with myself and I thought it looked really good.

Well two of the traders around me told me straight off that Wednesday and Saturday are the best days and then later on they said that this was one of the quietest days they had ever seen and they had been there for years.

In the end I took 1 pound at about 2.30. Plenty of people stopped and looked and a couple asked questions but only one sale.

However, I will not be disheartened and it is out a 7 again in the morning back to the market, so if people could do a little sun dance and then I have a craft fair on Sunday in Stockport.

Meljov5
26-02-2010, 07:08 PM
well done for not letting it get you down, good luck tomorrow hope you have a better day!

AliCat
26-02-2010, 07:12 PM
I do a market about once a month and find it can be very frustrating. But once people get to know that you are there, you build up a customer base. Bad weather is an absolute killer for outdoor market fairs (especially if, like the one I do, there is an indoor shopping centre in the same location!)

Good luck tomorrow - I will pray for better weather for you. Kudos to you for not getting disheartened!

Looking forward to hearing better news from you tomorrow evening!

Emmalou
26-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Well done for getting out there and not being disheartened by the lack of sales.
Keep at it,I'm sure things will pick up.
Fingers crossed for warmer weather(well at least not rain) and lots of sales:b:

Emma

silverjewelleryworkshop
26-02-2010, 07:24 PM
Keep plugging away, I'm sure it'll get busier when the weather improves.
Wishing you good luck.

Caroline

missie
26-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Good luck for tomorrow, Saturdays are always busy I bet, our local market in Ormskirk is Thursay and Saturday and when I visit it, Saturdays is mad busy ...lol

Let us all know how you get on xxxxx
Onwards and upwards, good luck xxx

Lou-Lou's Mum
26-02-2010, 07:47 PM
I wish you the very, very best of luck with the stall and your new venture. I had a permanent market stall many years ago (after working up through the ranks of 'casuals').

As everyone has said, dress warmly, more warmly than you think you'll need as you'll be standing still or sitting and you do get cold when you're still. Put some insulation under your feet, cardboard boxes or something to stand on, it helps keep your feet warmer. Do take a flask of hot drink or soup with you, some sandwiches and a few snacks, it's very easy to spend a huge chunk of profit on takeaway food/coffee/tea!!

You may find that your fellow market traders are your best customers, which is always nice. A discount is the norm and they will do the same for you. Also, watching over your stall (and you over theirs!) when you nip to the loo is a welcome courtesy. If you hang on until the close of play, go and do a veg/fruit shop at your nearest stall and they'll give you a great price, often stuff for free too.

Just a final point but do keep an eye on your money....... Wear a money belt or similar. Don't be falsely trusting. A cash box is such an easy target for thieves and we knew of quite a few unlucky traders that lost money when distracted by clever criminals.

Best of luck again!
Cheryl

Lou-Lou's Mum
26-02-2010, 07:50 PM
our local market in Ormskirk is Thursay and Saturday

Heh heh! That made me smile; I was born in Ormskirk and I loved the market; one of the very best I've ever been to, such a wide variety of stalls, too. It was much better after they pedestrianised the town centre; before that the traffic and buses had a terrible time squeezing past all the stalls!

missie
26-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Heh heh! That made me smile; I was born in Ormskirk and I loved the market; one of the very best I've ever been to, such a wide variety of stalls, too. It was much better after they pedestrianised the town centre; before that the traffic and buses had a terrible time squeezing past all the stalls!

Wow your a long way from home .... :D

My 3 children and my husband are from Ormskirk, I'm a Liverpool gal myself.

I'm off to the market tomorrow ...lol I bet you wouldn't recognise the place now tho' especially since Woolies closed and is now being replaced with Iceland ....lol

applecrafts
26-02-2010, 08:12 PM
I am sure your business will pick up when more people know you are there. You could always ask to be put on the waiting list for some of the busier days.
Good Luck and keep smiling and chat to anyone who comes to your stall whether they buy or not, even if you just talk about the weather it is good to get to chat to people and many appreciate someone taking the time to say hello.

vgbear
27-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks again for all your kind messages and advice.

Well what a difference a day makes.

Got up again at 6.30 this morning (I dont think I have done this on a Saturday for many of a year).

Made my way to Bury on another freezing and grey day. It did look like it was going to brighten but it decided to rain again and we my husband forgot one of the bags of new stock so it wasnt looking good.

However we made our first sale by about 10.30 and then got an order for two custom hooded towels which we are to take on Wednesday. It then trickled all my stuff is only between a 1.00 and 4.99 so it takes a lot to make a lot.

However about 2.30 two ladies came to me and asked if I could embroider them some polo shirts, I agreed I could and it was an order for 14 for a new ladies dart team again that I have to take on Wednesday. So we went from a 1.00 yesterday to a 100 today.

Also we had loads of people asking us questions about what we could do and also loads of people who know people who are having to have babies and were waiting to know the sex or the colour so that they could buy them something.

So it was a really positive day and made me feel that this might even work,

Sorry for my waffling and again I just want to say thanks to all those who have left such positive comments.

Really excited about my craft fair tomorrow now as it is the first time I can do on the stop embroidery and make things while people wait as I can get electric there.

gbell
27-02-2010, 08:12 PM
brilliant, when people start to know you are there, you will get steady orders.

Decima
27-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Good Luck, don't forget the flask! :)