PDA

View Full Version : Website Shopping Cart

Knight
03-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Hey,

I am in the process of having a website design and I am in two minds about whether it is necessary to have a shopping cart on it or not?

I already have an Ebay shop which I will continue to run and alot of my things are personalised so customers contact me for a quote prior to purchasing anyway and I then invoice them through Paypal.

So what I am asking really is do you have a lot of sales through your own website and if you were starting again would you have a shopping cart or not?

Thanks for your advice
x

Floobynooby
03-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Yes would definitely have a shopping cart, a website without one is only half a website and in my opinion defeats the purpose of having a site online. Its a also very cheap to get a shopping cart up and running.

wendy
03-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Definitely - it's the way most people expect to be able to pay.

You can do it easily with PayPal - no cost apart from a percentage of sales. No worries about site security either as payments are handled on PayPal's site.

the card shark
03-02-2010, 11:35 PM
My website is just a glorified blog, set up for my friends and family to view as an online catalogue.

I've had lots of strangers visit my site, and some stay and have a look around before leaving but none have ever contacted me.

So yes, if your intention is to sell online then add an online checkout to your website.

AliCat
03-02-2010, 11:40 PM
I would definitely say that a shopping cart on your site is essential. Otherwise you are hoping that the customer (who may be browsing at all hours) is going to take the time to contact you rather than finding another supplier whose website can be ordered from directly.

If you were looking to buy supplies and came across a site where you couldn't place your order there and then, would that put you off? I know that most of my web browsing (and therefore purchasing) is done outside normal office hours and being the impatient so-and-so that I am, I don't want to wait for someone to contact me at a later time - I just want to place my order there and then.

The best way is to look at it through the eyes of your customers - the easier it is for them to buy from you, the better.

Minky Magic
04-02-2010, 12:01 AM
This one is always a dilemma for me. I had that option on my site for a year and I got no sales, so I removed it. I now have an ETSY shop which I link directly to from my website and i'm far happier that way. It's whatever you think is best for your business.

labelhuntjewellery
04-02-2010, 12:30 AM
WordPress WP e-Commerce WordPress Plugins

this is what i used for my friend and its free

otherwise a Paypal button is a very convenient solution
if you'd need any help please let me know.
I am pretty familiar with setting it up,

thank you

shadowbane
04-02-2010, 03:11 PM
I use the paypal one on my site, i had a look at a few commerical ones and the prices were just stupid. I think you'd be safe with Paypal...plus everyone knows it

silverjewelleryworkshop
04-02-2010, 04:04 PM
yes, definitely. I use cubecart on all my websites (with a few modifications). It's great if you have a lot of items in your store; you can upload products and jpegs quickly, add new categories and configure postage rates and payment gateways such as paypal. For me it's been invaluable.

Caroline

musivarius
04-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Same as everyone here, if you want effective selling then get a cart.
I've had some problems with Paypal though. It's great taking payments through Paypal, no having to get a merchant account with a bank. The difficulty is with the postage system they have.
You can have single purchase buttons on everything you sell but they will not combine purchases. So you set your postage rates on Paypal (a percentage of the order or a fixed amount on each order ie up to 10.00 the postage is always say, 1.00) then you click on the add cart button and it allows your customer to combine orders.
The problems arise when you have things of the same value but different weights, the postage remains what you set it as. I sell 1 kg of marble for 18.00, I also have some mosaic patterns on paper for 18.00. Totally different weights but I can only have 1 postage charge for both!
Once the cart is added everything gets postage added (you can't have single payments for some things and not others) I was suddenly getting calls from people saying they were getting postage added on when they were paying for places on my workshops of buying the Online Course which goes out as a PDF.
I did contact Paypal Merchant Services and they said that there was no way round that, the UK system is just set that way.
Sorry for the long email but I thought you ought to be aware.

Ecogadgets
05-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Yes there should be a shopping cart on your website it isn't necessary but good if you have it on your site and it not much costly also you can get it done in just 150 to 200$, as we all know that ebay is king in online shopping but still we get something around 30 to 35 sale through website.

Emmalou
05-02-2010, 11:47 AM
If you are just going to use your website to showcase your work then there isn't a need to have a shopping cart,however,if your intention is to use the site to sell then you will most definetely need a shopping cart. Most customers like to make a purchase there and then an can sometimes be put off by having to wait for an invoice etc. I'd say def go with a shoping cart,at least if you go with paypal you only pay for a % of sales and don't have to worry about security etc.
Hope that helps

Emma xx

Fluffy Squirrel
05-02-2010, 12:53 PM
I had a shopping cart option on my website foraround eighteen months and to be honest it was a waste of time, so last year I decided to get rid of it and just link my MISI shop to my website and this has proved to be much better.

An integrated shopping cart may be considered again at some point in the future but as it is, I'm happy with how it's set up for now :D

AnnieAnna
06-02-2010, 09:10 AM
I think it depends on if, what, how and to whom you are selling.
My Annie the Pedlar site generates loads of sales but because it's made to fit costumes from 100 years of fashion, or things only made in one season, or there is lots of choice of design.....people email me and we chat over their wishes. I think the crucial thing is there are not that many other places you can get what I'm selling. That's worked for 12 years and is still working.

This stratedy isn't working with my other site - Little Chile - I feel as if that site needs a shopping cart as I feel these would be impulse buys. (It's on my todo list.)

AnnieAnna
www.anniethepedlar.com (http://www.anniethepedlar.com)
www.littlechile.co.uk (http://www.littlechile.co.uk)