PDA

View Full Version : Mr Site

Apple Tree Crafts
04-03-2007, 12:25 PM
I've seen a few impressive sites built using Mr Site.

But just how easy is it to build a site, and then make changes when you have new stuff for sale or info to add to your site? Is uploading easy?:confused:

I'm using Macromedia 8 with Fireworks, and I cannot, just cannot, get my head around it. It's just overwhelmingly complicated and has actually driven me to tears, which takes some doing.:mad:

Opinions please!

Jules

littlesnuggler
04-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi Jules

I've got Mr Site and yes it really is very very easy. It is sort of like listing an item on Ebay, i.e. there are several templates to choose for the look of the site then you just go through and add things, like a shopping basket which is linked to Paypal, a gallery, pictures can sometimes be a bit of a faff but I've managed to get pics on and change them too so it's not too bad.

Once you buy the code to access Mr Site and start building your site you can be online literally in less than an hour. My site took about 3/4 weeks to get listed on Google and I'm now on quite a few major search engines apart from Yahoo (still waiting for that one).

Mr Site also has a really good forum for fellow Mr Siters and they are really helpful. This is a great place to find good links too.

If you decide to get one have a look on Ebay. They are 35 from Mr Site but you can get them cheaper on Ebay.

Have you had a look at www.mrsite.co.uk (http://www.mrsite.co.uk) ? Some good info there.

This is one of my favourite MrS sites www.crystalgarden.co.uk (http://www.crystalgarden.co.uk) (plus mine of course!;) )

Hope this is useful.

leedsfairy
04-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey
I too use Mr site and was fantastic for me to get my website up and runing quickly. Is very easy to use and instructions are simple to follow.
Is perfect for me as i'm just starting out but think I might find it a bit restrictive at a later date. But would definately recommed. And as already said buy off ebay, think I saved about ten pound on mine.

Becky
xx

the felt fairy
04-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Got to agree with you both, I've had a Mr Site site for 18 months now and its soooo very easy to use. Mine cost about 20 at first and then about 18. to renew it for another year.

I'd reccomend them to anyone!

swirlyarts
04-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Ask Mr Media - he will have an opinion on it and will be able to advise as to which are the best to use.

Sparklez
05-03-2007, 12:19 AM
My site is a MrSite site. Started of using the templates, and had the basics of my site done in a day or so. It's good value for money and is great if you've no knowledge of html or building websites (like me). It's also really easy to tweek, but I did find that it sometimes took quite a while for the updates I did to be 'live'.

My only problem was the restrictions of the 'shop' function. I wasn't happy with the list format and using the templates, I couldn't figure out any other way to do it. My OH introduced me to Adobe Golive, set me up with a template or two (glad he did it and not me) and I now only use MrSite for the web hosting.

There are some REALLY good sites out there, built using the MrSite templates. I think the key is finding the template and layout that works for you and taking your time over it. Just cos the instructions say you can get a site up and running in a few hours doesn't mean you have to. Also be wary if the visitor/hit counter that they provide you with, as it includes every time you publish your site and check it.

Carol

handmadeheaven.biz
05-03-2007, 07:49 AM
www.handmadeheaven.biz (http://www.handmadeheaven.biz)

i also use mrsite and have found it really helpful. i do know html and could build a site from scratch but i didnt want to spend hours building something when i could better use that time actually making glass! i think the best thing for me is that you can edit it from ANY computer. there are some things that are a little restrictive but generally i'm really happy with it & it's a good price too. you can edit the html code if you want to add something in mrsite doesnt provide so i would def recommend it :)

clareyfairy
05-03-2007, 02:02 PM
both my sites are with mr site, and its fab i think. you can do alot with it such as shopping carts and gallerys and password protected pages etc. Its great for people who dont know the first thing about builiding a website, and for people to 'test the water' so to speak with very little costs.

Its really easy to create your website to start with, and then its really easy to update them.

Good luck if you decide to buy it, and theres a forum over there if you ever get stuck and need any helpful hints and tips!

Apple Tree Crafts
05-03-2007, 02:05 PM
...is my stumbling block. It's why I can't get my (simple) head around this Macromedia Dreamweaver 8....that is not a programme for beginners. And we won't talk about the %*@!!&* Fireworks program that work with it....can't wait to get shot of those two.

I don't know if I can convert my webpublisher files to Mr Site, but I've bought it now so I see when it gets here.

Does anyone know if you can have more than one site runnng through Mr Site? I could do with one for my own crafts as well as one for the craft fairs. I should imagine it's possible, just need to pay extra for the second one.

Jules

0103media
05-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Things like mr site are great imho.. Its a great start to getting on the web..

Basically in life you get what you pay for..

Think of a site as a shop.. For a nice shop you need to pay.. for something basic and very limited then it cost less..

If you think of cars too it like all cars get you from A to B..

Btw fireworks is not a web design program.. Its designed for making banners..

Dreamweaver is what i've used since version 1.. (now v10)

Mr site is nice simple and cheap.. When you make some money then consider finding a web company like mine ;) to make exactly what you need..

Apple Tree Crafts
06-03-2007, 06:09 PM
Spent the day building a new website, just the three of us, Himself, myself & Mr Site.

It's looking good, but pictures are proving to be fun and games....AOL hates Mr Site, and Internet Explorer isn't much better... but we'll get there with a little perserverence and and awful lot of cussing.

I need to make myself a head/banner type thingy now...will have to rope the daughter in to help!

Jules

0103media
06-03-2007, 06:11 PM
1 day to build a site..

As I mentioned before the effort you putin you know normally get out..

Peter
06-03-2007, 06:41 PM
*AOL hates Mr Site, and Internet Explorer isn't much better...*

I had that problem with Freewebs and Google, Freewebs uses frames, and google doesn't like frames. I put a site on My Shopify, which looks nice and simple, but I can't manipulate it as much as I want to, so I kept both! I've thought about having a 'proper' site, but at the moment I'm in transition from what I thought was good work (and wasn't anything special!) to proper beadweaving - only thing is, my domain registration will have run out by the time I make anything worth putting on site! :nopity:

It's that awkward moment between spending money you haven't got, and staying with the freebie and hoping someone will buy something! Damn this artistic dilemma!!:D

Apple Tree Crafts
06-03-2007, 07:52 PM
Today we decided that Apple Tree Craft Fairs was a better .com than just Apple Tree Fairs, for self explanatory reasons.

So now I think the best way forward is to shove a notice on Apple Tree Fairs site, saying we aren't there, but leaving the Spring Craft Fair details on site. Details for new events such as Taunton & Exeter will have been added to the new site.

After May we'll dump the old site, although this means we'll lose out on 21 months of registration. Still, was only about 5 for two years.

I quite like the Mr Site program, but I wish I could tweak the colours more...they're very limiting. Mr Media was right, you get what you pay for - but Mr Site is great for now.

Going to fiddle about with a banner this evening. Any ideas where to start?

Jules

clareyfairy
06-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Can't you redirect the old domain you have until it expires, that way anybody coming to the site will get directed to the new one?

And i make my banners in Adobe Photoshop, is quite good in my opinion as you can 'feather' images into the background

handmadeheaven.biz
07-03-2007, 12:29 AM
http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/javascript/html2.htm

try this for other colours for mrsite type. go into your html code and in the 'font' tag add in the colour code. look on the www for how to do it :)

Apple Tree Crafts
07-03-2007, 01:35 PM
For all the help!

I've managed a banner in Paint, just sliced up a large image, and them tweaked it in Photoimpact. Basic but effective!

I've not tweaked the font colours yet though...might have to wait until I can get Mr Site alone in a quiet corner, just the two of us and my adulterous intentions with his font colours....

I think it's looking fairly good...take a peak and tell me what you think

www.appletreecraftfairs.com (http://www.appletreecraftfairs.com)

Jules

littlesnuggler
07-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi Jules

Love it! Now wasn't that easy? Have you joined the Mr Site forum? You can get other Mr Siters to have a look too.

Well done. :p

Apple Tree Crafts
07-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks Steph! I've done it...chosen some complentary colours and I think it's looking brilliant now! :D

Jules

Apple Tree Crafts
07-03-2007, 04:27 PM
I love your cosy toes Helen:D , and that's a great site too.
Had a quick peek at the forum, but not registered yet. I might register this evening as I want to find out about advertising & affiliates and if they are worth it.

Jules

michelleC
07-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Sounds like some very positive feedback there. Will take a look into that one. Can i use HTML like i do for my e-bay store, instead of the template????
Thanks for that will pop and take a look

littlesnuggler
07-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Yes you do have an option to use HTML although (as a comp novice) I just used the easy option.:confused:

littlesnuggler
07-03-2007, 07:14 PM
[quote=Apple Tree Crafts;18906]I love your cosy toes Helen:D , and that's a great site too.

Thanks Jules, sales have slowed down a bit cos the weather has got better so I'm adding some jewellery for Mums.

michelleC
08-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Not like im a HTML wizard either lol. But we had are e-bay store done for us and was just wondering if we could be really lazy and use the same template.
Mr site may well be the answer to our prayers so a huge thankyou for the tip!

Apple Tree Crafts
08-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Ok, I'm no techie, but on advice from here (thanks Steph!) I managed to change my font colours to something a little more unusual than Mr Site's basic colours, using the HTML colour codes I got from a Java script site.

So, I guess, if you knew where to put the codes for your templates, you could use them on Mr Site. You can use HTML by checking the little box in the corner of the Mr Site pages when you are personalising your site.

There is a Mr Site forum, so maybe someone on there could help?

I ought to get paid commission for all this advertising......:D

Jules

EMEvans
08-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Doesn't it feel great when your counting down the seconds at the end of an auction when your the highest bidder but you know someone is going to come along and try and take the glory, well not this time cause i just bought myself Mr Site for under 17.

Can't wait to get him so he can show me what he's made of!!!!!!

Only problem is paypal is having 'technical difficulties' at the moment. Theres always a down side.

Apple Tree Crafts
08-03-2007, 10:26 PM
What a bargain, Emma! :D

I was too impatient to wait, but even at 24 Mr Site was well worth it! PayPal can be a pain, but it's still going to be faster than paying by cheque!

Jules

EMEvans
10-03-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm still waiting, buyer hasn't contacted me yet. They better had within a couple of days or i will be on there case like a bad rash, cause i want it now (I'm impatient too). They better hurry or i'll be handing out bad reviews hehe.

Apple Tree Crafts
10-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Badger them (nicely)...send them an email. Are they posting you a pack or just emailing you your code? I bought the pack, because I wanted the printed instruction manual.

You might also recheck the listing, just in case it's flagged to say they are away until a certain date.

Jules

michelleC
10-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Well ive done it. gone and bought my MR Site package. so watch this space!!!!!!!!:pc:

littlesnuggler
10-03-2007, 10:23 PM
[quote=EMEvans;19102]Doesn't it feel great when your counting down the seconds at the end of an auction when your the highest bidder but you know someone is going to come along and try and take the glory, well not this time cause i just bought myself Mr Site for under 17.

Well done, I paid 16 plus 1.50 P+P so I win the Ebay last minute bid, got a bargain prize!:)

EMEvans
11-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Well done to you too. Hope you have more luck than me with getting it. I've sent 2 messages to the seller now and haven't heard a thing. If they don't get in touch soon I'll hunt them down and harass them till i get my Mr.

icecreamgirl
11-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Can i ask who the seller was as i was thinking of bidding on one?

EMEvans
11-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Limbflowers24. But in there defence they are a turbo lister and have got a good rep, maybe they have just overlooked me.

littlesnuggler
11-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Well Emma, I've just checked the completed listings on Ebay and it looks like you bought your Mr Site from the same people I got mine from and yes, they were ages sending mine too with no communication. The good thing is that I did get it and even though I gave them a 'not very complimentary' feedback they gave me a good one. So I'm sure yours will be on its way soon.:confused:

Apple Tree Crafts
11-03-2007, 07:48 PM
....the same people, and I got it within two days. I did a buy it now, so maybe it's quicker that way.

Been on to my site, and added a guest book today! Now I need to find out about getting an extra site so I can have one for Apple Tree Crafts.

Jules

EMEvans
12-03-2007, 02:43 AM
Hooooraaaay!!!
The seller has been in touch, should receive itearly next week.

Apple Tree Crafts
12-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I've just been looking into getting an additional site up & running through Mr Site for my own crafts.

I can't find out an awful lot, as it doesn't give you many choices on the 'additional' page...I'm confused here :confused:

Each choice they give you to select from asks for a payment of 15 before you even know more about the choice. The headings are vague so I'm not sure how to go about moving my existing (unused ) domain name to Mr Site. No idea which option to choose!

I think it's got to be easier just to buy another Mr Site pack from eBay!

Jules

clareyfairy
12-03-2007, 09:57 AM
are you wanting another URL to point to the same site, or a completely differant site?

If its the first one you would be much better going to 123-reg for the domain name, and then redirecting it to the site you have, if its a completely differant site you have to pay for another box and set it up completely seperatly

Apple Tree Crafts
12-03-2007, 10:26 AM
Clarey....I've already got my domain name, I bought it from Telivo.

So I just wanted to transfer it to Mr Site. But it would be a completely different site from my existing one.

Jules

clareyfairy
12-03-2007, 12:19 PM
if its a differant site then you will have to have a differant mr site package, and when you activate it, it should give you the option for if you already have your domain name, you put it in there and then the domain should point to the new mr site package.

Apple Tree Crafts
12-03-2007, 12:24 PM
....think that's what it'll have to be. I thought I was going to have to buy another pack, but it's no problem. I might even be patient and do an auction on eBay instead of buy it now ;)

Jules

EMEvans
12-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Do it auction styli, mine was delivered today so i didn't have a long wait after all, it was just the lack of correspondance that got me worried.

Apple Tree Crafts
16-03-2007, 05:02 PM
.....have two cars, some have second homes, sadly we have neither...

.......But we do have two Mr Sites!:D

The auctions have been finishing very high, but I found a buy it now for 20!

This one is for my crafts, so Watch This Space!

Jules

EMEvans
16-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Well done, that was a good price for a 'buy it now'. Considering i wanted mine a.s.a.p when i got it i logged in and activated it and thats as far as i've got. Think i'm trying to put my fingers in too many pies and don't have time to eat any of them.

Apple Tree Crafts
20-03-2007, 09:32 AM
......Mr Postman, bring my new Mr Site today!

Didn't come yesterday and I was so hoping it would....!

Jules

zoe21180413
20-03-2007, 11:53 AM
I am looknig into doing my own website with this mr site you have mentioned, what are affiliate programs? and how do some websites have other website banners on them? is this mr site worth doing to sell my cards and was hopeing to get into selling craft supplies too thanks zoe xxxx;)

Apple Tree Crafts
20-03-2007, 12:23 PM
We've only just got our new site for the craft fairs up & running, and it didn't take long at through Mr Site. You build you website online, no uploading as such. And we've already had a big response to the site.

I've just bought another Mr Site package (much cheaper on eBay) to set up a site for my crafts. The postie didn't bring it today either..... :(

It's really easy to use, but I don't know anything about affiliate programs.

Jules

Apple Tree Crafts
21-03-2007, 11:50 AM
>>>>> doing happy dance<<<<<<<

It came today!

Watch out world, here I come!

Jules

swirlyarts
21-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah!!! Let us know when it's up and running!

Apple Tree Crafts
21-03-2007, 05:37 PM
What can I say on my home page? I want to say something about myself, but no idea exactly what.

I don't want to sound cheesey, and I don't want to be in your facelike that twit who sells Cillit Bang....

For once, I'm at a loss for words. I managed the Fairs site fine, but this is just a little more "me"....

Any ideas?:confused:

Jules

countrygal
21-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Ha Ha ...whats wrong with Barry !! How sad I remember his name ! I know what you mean, I go on alot of american websites and they tell you everything short of their blood group ! Really I suppose, just talk about how you got started doing your hobby and about the time and effort you put into it to insure your customers are happy. :D

handmadeheaven.biz
25-03-2007, 05:15 PM
is anyone else annoyed with the new page you get when you publish your site?! i personally dont care how many seconds they took to make my site! just load it up!!!!! grrrrr

Apple Tree Crafts
25-03-2007, 05:53 PM
.....yesterday, it was more Mr Spite than Mr Site.

I kept getting messages saying that my Mr Site account had been inactive for too long, and I'd been logged off. I wouldn't mind, but I was working on in, inactive it was not.

And it kept telling me that it couldn't upload pictures, but when you looked in the upload file they were there anyway...grrrrrr

I wondered, not being technical, if it was maybe because it was the weekend, and lots of Mr Siters were busy with their sites. I gave up on mine after a few hours, I'll try again tomorrow.

Jules

Blooming Felt
09-04-2007, 10:25 PM
I use Mr Site too and have had real problems publishing with them this evening. Not sure if it's them or me !! And I agree about the page that appears when you're uploading - I really DON'T care how long it took to publish. why don't they get other things sorted like the silly shuffle page feature and the fact that all your formatting on your shopping carts disappears when you publish. Now that really is annoying !!

Apple Tree Crafts
09-04-2007, 11:12 PM
....and I do get annoyed with them on a regular basis, the other day it kept telling me, every 30 seconds, that I had been logged off, I still think it's the easiest web site builder for me.

I've learned to save everything frequently, and log off and sign on again to AOL when the glitches get really annoying.

Also, I've found that if I try to change anything or upload new pictures, then obscure times are the best times to do it. I've got on better at 2am than I have at 2pm, so if I wake in the night and can't get back to sleep, I do some Mr Site-ing.....it works for me! ;)

Jules

glasskanvas
10-04-2007, 01:13 PM
Just to throw my two pennies worth in....I really can't stand Mrsite at the mo! At first I thought i was really good, I'm ok with the likes of dreamweaver etc but mrsite was alot easier to manipulate. The more i've used it though, the more i've become hacked of by the whole thing!...It's always got network probs, the inventory system is rubbish and if you're used to playing around with html the fact they've lobbed off the header tab is a real pain!
You do indeed get what you pay for but I think it'd be cheaper in the long run to get someone to build your site for you if you want it to develope...that's what i'm looking to do now.
A big general grrrr!
Phil

Peter
10-04-2007, 01:28 PM
If you cup your hand to your ear.............and listen, very, very carefully.....................you can just hear 0103Media laughing his socks off! :D :D :D

harrymeng
13-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Who can provide some detail of buyer of gifts,crafts,and arts to me?

We have some beautiful chinese giftcrafts,arts and so on from china.If you are buyer or interesting,please contact me directly.I will show you Spec,photoes and catalogue.
Harry

harry@prevail.cc
Manager of Sales Department
Add: Room 910,A Building,Qunxing Plaza,HuaQiang,Road,Futian District,Shenzhen City,Guangdong Province,China(sales and designer department)
Tel:0086 755 33090160 Fax:0086 755 33090159
Skype number: mhylyj
Factory Address: 85# XingYe Road,Niuhu Industrial Village,Guanlan Town,Shenzhen City,Guangdong Province,China
Tel: 0086 755 2980 2008(ten links) Fax: 0086 755 2890 2009

harrymeng
13-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Who can provide some detail of buyer of gifts,crafts,and arts to me?

We have some beautiful chinese giftcrafts,arts and so on from china.If you are buyer or interesting,please contact me directly.I will show you Spec,photoes and catalogue.
Harry

Manager of Sales Department
Add: Room 910,A Building,Qunxing Plaza,HuaQiang,Road,Futian District,Shenzhen City,Guangdong Province,China(sales and designer department)
Tel:0086 755 33090160 Fax:0086 755 33090159
Skype number: mhylyj
Factory Address: 85# XingYe Road,Niuhu Industrial Village,Guanlan Town,Shenzhen City,Guangdong Province,China
Tel: 0086 755 2980 2008(ten links) Fax: 0086 755 2890 2009

smiffffy
25-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi Jules, I'm sorry but I disagree with everyone. I work in the IT industry so have a clue about these things. Mr Site is rubbish with a capital R. It's clumsy and personally I don't think it looks at all professional. I've just paid 60 to get rid of them and wouldn't recommend to anyone. I've just re-done my whole website in ONE HOUR using Microsoft Frontpage. It now looks totally professional and I'm really pleased with it! I would recommend it against anything else if you are just starting out. It's like using powerpoint - brilliant and easy!:D

Sprinkles
25-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Working in the IT industry i think Mr Site is an excellent way of creating a website by yourself if you are a little computer illiterate, or like me, just want it up and running without having to code endless hours or have things break on you!

You are paying for what you get. A web designing program, that you can do yourself. Maybe a little expensive on the domain side and server, but you can get around that by buying your own domain name for as little as 2.99, forward the address onto mr site, so they dont own it, and use their server, which isnt, at the end of the day, a massive expense for running your own site for your business.

People are always going to debate over the best web designing programs. but at the end of the day its what you get on with best.

Good Luck with everyones site buildings exercises!

crafterscave.com
29-04-2008, 10:04 PM
I have just opened a web site with 'mr site', i found it quite easy to work too!

Jan @ Josephines
04-05-2008, 03:31 PM
This is my first post so be gentle! I use Mr Site for my own jewellery website, I find it ok, good infact for the 30 or so I paid for it, its easy to get up & running, but did find some things a bit confusing. The forum is sadly no longer available so all queries have to be mailed in, replies are usually responsive though, from friendly tech guys. I do have issues with my header/logo, problem being I cannot get my logo uploaded as it isnt 'square' & the uploader requires certain square measurements otherwise most of it gets cut off. I do need to get my logo/header sorted so if any of you members can help in this matter Id be very greatful indeed. Thank you in anticipation.

Tip Top
04-05-2008, 06:11 PM
This is my first post so be gentle! I use Mr Site for my own jewellery website, I find it ok, good infact for the 30 or so I paid for it, its easy to get up & running, but did find some things a bit confusing. The forum is sadly no longer available so all queries have to be mailed in, replies are usually responsive though, from friendly tech guys. I do have issues with my header/logo, problem being I cannot get my logo uploaded as it isnt 'square' & the uploader requires certain square measurements otherwise most of it gets cut off. I do need to get my logo/header sorted so if any of you members can help in this matter Id be very greatful indeed. Thank you in anticipation.

You might be better asking the question in the help section as there is more traffic there. Or if you've already done that - hope you get an answer soon!:D

Needlecraft and Beads
31-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Hi
I have 2 sites from Mr site and if you are looking for a quick website it is absolutely great. I built mine in one day!
If you are a growing business you have to move on to serious one where you can have customer records etc.
Mr site Pro does help in promoting the site so its worth paying more.

regards