PDA

View Full Version : certification

juliap
23-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Hi im new here and i love this site!
I was wondering if anyone could advise me and point me in the right direction. I have been making aromatherapy massage blends, balms and salves and have decided i would like to sell them at craft fairs etc. Iknow they have to be certified but have no idea how or where to do this or how much it costs. Could anyone help out please? thanks

mollymandy
24-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Hello there ive no idea but im sure someone will be along soon have fun here.

Soapwitch
24-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Hi

I am a soapmaker and all of my products have been through the certification process to assess their safety before selling them to the public. It can seem like a lot of work and expense to begin with, so it helps if you already have some customers lined up waiting to buy!

The costs will depend on how many products you need to have assessed. You have to submit a report detailing the things such as the formula for each product, the manufacturing process you use, how it will be packaged, and hygiene standards etc.

Each product you sell will need full ingredients list on it this also has to comply with EU regulations and use the INCI standard names given to each ingredient. As well as the ingredients you must also list the allergens that are contained within the fragrance or essential oils that you are using, these are usually calculated by yourself.

After the assessment, you must keep what is called a pif for each product. This is like a 'history' file that has to contain MSDS sheets for every ingredient that you use as well as information for every batch of product you make, this must detail where each ingredient was purchased from and the date purchased, this is so that if you have to recall a product there is a history of where each ingredient came from.

I do hope that some of that made sense, it is a long process and looking back i really don't know how I got through it, i think I remember lots of screaming and tears!!!

A great place to start with some research is a yahoo group called slippery slope, they deal with all questions dealing with the certification process, they have a file containing links to various labs that will conduct the assessments for you.

Don't forget that you will also need liability insurance for you and your products, just in case someone has a reaction to a product or just falls over your table covering at a show and decides to sue you!

I'm usually around if you have any questions

Leanna

mollymandy
24-02-2007, 06:32 PM
There you go i said someone would come along and help xx

DivaP
24-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Hi Julia,

Leanna has given you some great info there.

Here's a couple of places who do certification/safety assessment of products.

David Munden Tel: 01306 627180
Smallburgh Laboratories Limited Fax: 01306 628040
Northlands Business Park
Bognor Road
Warnham
West Sussex RH12 3SH

Dr John Hopkins Tel: 01635 248830
Innovant Research Ltd Fax: 01635247206
The Elms, Oxford Road
Chieveley
Newbury
Berkshire RG20 8RT
If you contact them they will give you some indication of costs.

Hope that helps

Leni

juliap
24-02-2007, 09:09 PM
hi thanks for the replies, you've given me plenty to go on so i shall start wading through it. I is something that i would really like to do and i do feel i would get satisfaction from this. I know it will be hard work so i hope you wont mind me picking your brains:)

Xanadu86
12-06-2007, 08:27 PM
I was about to start a new post on this, so it's lucky i saw the one you posted.

I've been saving up business money for a while now to be able to get a ready made certification package from a company called justasoap but they have just recently decided to review whether they will continue doing it (just my luck).

Are there any other ready made packages out there?

When you say it's expensive to do it via laboratories etc - just how expensive are we talking about?

xx

Xanadu86
20-06-2007, 10:48 AM
...anyone?

Candlebella
20-06-2007, 03:49 PM
...anyone?

Hi Xanadu86

I've seen a website somewhere, I make candles and was thinking of doing soaps etc but the certification business and labeling put me off! - I'll have a look and get back to you.:horse:

Regards

Gaynor

Candlebella
20-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Here is one I found. :pc: Thinking of having a go myself! :) meltandpoursupplies.com cannot post the link for some reason I need 25 posts before I can post any urls!

HTH

Kind Regards

Gaynor

Xanadu86
20-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi Gaynor,

Thank you for this - i will have a look now,

Emily x

Xanadu86
20-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Just had a look and they look decent enough. Thanks for the link, will be getting in touch with them! xx

Candlebella
20-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Hi emily

You are welcome (welcome) I'm going to see if they can use some of my oils I use in candles for soap :)

Regards Gaynor

ellie
27-06-2007, 11:42 PM
xanadu86.. just been on just a soaps website, and they are now doing certification packs again!

Peter
27-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Xanadu is banned.

ellie
28-06-2007, 10:14 AM
oh, sorry :-(

Morgan
01-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Hi,
Not sure if you have found anyone that can help or got any inofrmation yet, but I looked into this a little while ago and was advised of a couple of places to go for help and advice as well as actually certification
can give you information on what you need to do to comply (I beileve, nott been on for a while)
offer advice and certification.

I found it difficult to find anyone willing to help with small business in start-up stage and there is a lot of work and seems complicated and expensive so you need to be really serious. Too much work and commitment for me but hope this helps and if I can find any other information I collected I'll pass it on.

Good luck and I'd love to hear how it all goes.
MOD EDIT - URLs DELETED. PLEASE READ THE RULES.

Ed's
02-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Just to let people know that I am thinking of setting up a small business selling soap and I contacted my local Trading Standards office. They were incredible helpful and sent me some information. May I suggest that if you have any questions about legislation you look at their web site or call them.

sweet
26-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get certified to sell my soaps. Does anyone know of anywhere else that does certification, the guy i phoned from a previous post isn't taking on any new clients at the moment. Oh and also, does it take a long time for the soap to be tested and certified..etc etc!

Many thanks

Ed's
26-09-2007, 05:40 PM
I have just had a quote from a Lab for my CP soaps. The quote was for alkali testing 60 + VAT, saftey testing 130 + VAT then 25 per variant. This is the first and only quote I have had so far but I hope it gives people an indication of costs.

Comforts & Candles
07-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Goodness...

That's expensive!!!

I posted a list of contact details for a few safety assessors in the Innovant thread on here - and the Soap Kitchen have a list they can forward if you enquire through them...

My assessment for CP soap was around the 150 inclusive of VAT and a single base recipe with a whole host of variable ingredients for superfat, colourants, botanicals and EOs/FOs... So it is definitely worth shopping around...

Oh, and ensure your base recipe is one you are very happy with - if you can use the same base and vary it substantially with various additives then it'll be a lot more economical than having a number of base recipes on the same assessment...

I did have to provide samples of the finished product and labels etc...

Ann-Marie x

06cal23
05-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Are there any other ready made packages out there?
xx
Hmm try (soaptub) and it depends what you call expensive heehee different people have different ideas

just_mai
07-01-2008, 09:03 AM
The soap tub certificates are only for melt and pour and for their bases, fragrances and colours only, If you don't buy from the soap tub then you don't qualify for their certificates.

Some of us do not use bases but make it from scratch either cold process or hot process, which they do not cover.

Galanthus
06-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I've started shopping around for quotes for a CP safety assessment. One company I approached charges a basic charge plus so much for each ingredient. Given that each oil in my recipe contains a number of different fatty acids, will I be charged for all the possible soaps that are created during saponification? What about the non-saponifiables?

thanks,

Dee

just_mai
09-03-2008, 02:12 AM
you usually get charged for your base recipe and then for all the variables that you want to add, ie fragrances, colours, botanicals etc,

some companies charge you a rate per fragrance other companies charge you a flat fee, it's worth searching around

SkinKiss
22-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Having completed a business course & decided to set up producing my own natural bath salts I was devastated to find how much it costs to certify your products!

eileen.reed55
06-09-2011, 04:53 PM
I found a site cosmetic safety assesments that it is a dot com site but i can't put the url in as i have not posted enough posts on here yet that do assesments some quite cheaply for people just starting. I have not used them as I am not ready to sell yet. I keep seeing people talking about trading standards do we have to deal with these as well as the safety assesment?