PDA

View Full Version : Would like to start using Fimo-any hints or tips?

st2826
05-01-2010, 10:47 AM
I'd like to have a go at using fimo to make earings and other simple things but have never used it before so any help would be appreciated-websites, places to buy it etc.

:D

frankieduberry
09-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Hi st2826,
...most potters will tell you that fimo is not real pottery... not 'ceramic' at all... :mad:

st2826
09-01-2010, 01:45 PM
sorry,wasn't sure where to post this

Lilac Moon
09-01-2010, 03:21 PM
hi (welcome)

if you are just starting to use it most craft shops stock it as do some of our lovely members in here. its easy to use and cooks in the oven. :p no special kilns needed. These are my 2nd play with it. comes in all sorts of colours,

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z62/crystal111blue/mybits003.jpg

ejralph
09-01-2010, 05:52 PM
I'd like to have a go at using fimo to make earings and other simple things but have never used it before so any help would be appreciated-websites, places to buy it etc.

:D

Fimo, Cernit and other polymer clays (http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17) are really a joy to use. Also, very economical to get set up in.

As for where to buy it - well, I sell a range of polymer clays, tools and supplies - so do try my online store for starters! Most crafts shops also carry Fimo, although do be sure to check with them that it is fresh clay. If they don't sell a great deal, sometimes the stock can be a little stale in some places.

If you ever played with plasticine as a kid, polymer clays behave much the same way. They don't dry out in the air, you can shape and model them and then just bake them in your kitchen oven when done.

If you look online, there are lots of free guides and tutorials. I have some tutorials for using polymer clay (http://www.ejrbeads.co.uk/tutorials.htm) that may be of interest.

If you have any other questions, just yell. Lots of us here use polymer clays. Maybe post your questions in another section though, as ceramicists do tend to get annoyed by poor old polymer clay from time to time :p (and I can say that, cos I use both mediums and have a foot in each camp ;) )

st2826
09-01-2010, 06:20 PM
I didnt know which room to post in which one would you suggest? :D

And thankyou for the link to your shop-do you have resonable postage rates to greece?

ejralph
09-01-2010, 07:23 PM
I didnt know which room to post in which one would you suggest? :D

And thankyou for the link to your shop-do you have resonable postage rates to greece?

I don't know either to be honest - I made a post in the suggestions folder about maybe we need a polymer clay section on the forum?

Right now, people tend to either post their polymer clay questions here in the ceramics area, which risks the inevitable "polymer clay isn't real clay" debate, if other forums I have been a member of are anything to go by.

Or it gets posted in the General section - which is fine, but sometimes questions etc can get a bit lost there.

So for now, I guess posting in the "general" section makes a lot of sense. But I would love it if we could get a polymer clay section added in time, if everyone thinks it is a good idea and the mods are willing.

As for shipping rates and stuff, please check out the Ordering Infomation pages at my store - all the details are in there about shipping etc. If you have any questions just drop me a private message or email :)

Emma

frankieduberry
11-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi there,
I was just joking! :confused: so sorry, I never thought it would raise such an argument... my apologies.

f r a n k i e

ejralph
11-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Oh you have nothing to apologise for!

I wasn't sure how you mean't your comment because you had a :mad: after it, so it didn't really come across as a joke tbh. So I was worried that you were genuinely annoyed or upset at polymer clay being mentioned in the ceramics area. But I didn't find anything untoward or wrong in what you said and I can't find where it caused any arguments, only discussion. Which is a good thing.

It is a perfectly valid comment that you made. Polymer clay isn't ceramic clay, so it would make a lot more sense to have separate places here on the forum to discuss each of these mediums within their own context.

Emma