PDA

View Full Version : Question on beads/selling

Seahorse
16-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I want to make necklaces but I can only get the certain coloured beads I want from 2 different companies.
The necklaces would be exactly the same except for the colour of the beads.
From one place a necklace would cost me about 13 to make, the other about 17.
Do I charge the same for each necklace and make a loss on some colours or charge more for the one that costs me more and just say 'different supplier,different price'?

Just realised how money grabbing and naff that sounded but Id be interested in opinions.

Ta.

raspberrybloom
16-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Pricing is one of the most difficult things to get right.

You don't want to price yourself out of the market but you also don't want your products to appear cheap.

I tend to price up my necklaces and then times that by 5 to get my selling price. I also do this using the most expensive materials so I don't make a loss.

So, I would say sell both at the same price making sure you cover your costs and make a profit.

Seahorse
16-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Times it by 5!!!!!!!!
Blimey,I thought me doubling the price was risky enough!!
5x13 is 65, although I like the necklaces Im gona make I doubt anyone will spend that amount!

The necklace im refering to are the orange/black n white simple necklaces in my pictures.Did I send you them.I was thinking 25-30.What would you pay for them?

raspberrybloom
16-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Yes, you did send them to me. They are lovely, I would pay 20-25 for them.

Are they faceted fire polished beads or Swarovski you have used?

Seahorse
16-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Swarovski baby, pure swarovski, and sterling silver findings.

Katianne
16-02-2007, 11:34 AM
I have this problem too with my mosaic tiles. The prices vary depending on colour and the effect of the tile (some change colour in the light etc). I charge the same for the item regardless of what colour, so have based my prices on the 'mean' amount of the tiles. It means I make less profit on certain ones, but should make more on other colours so it should even out.

Seahorse
16-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Thats an idea KK.

raspberrybloom
16-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Seahorse try these suppliers they may be cheaper and have the colours.
www.beadsandcrystals.co.uk
There is also an ebay store I think it Noseks.

Seahorse
16-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks, Ive tried them, their stars are agood price but dont think their rounds are cheaper, but Il have another look.

Il have a look on ebay, thanks.

Katianne
16-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Or how about www.beadsales.co.uk (http://www.beadsales.co.uk) ???

Seahorse
16-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Oh my god, raspberry!!!They are cheaper but 10p!!!How can I have missed that, Ive done extensive research!!!
Thanks you, tho I feel bad that I will be betraying my usual supplier.

Seahorse
16-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Damn, scrap the above, the first price was 10p cheaper for 10, then it was that same price but for 8, so it works out the same as my other good supplier, but ......ahh, they may sell the othr colours I want for less than the other expenseve seller so, ...I shal stop waffling and have a look.

BeyondBeads
16-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Pricing is deffinately hard! I have started working out the price for each bead and finding then getting a subtotal, times that by 2, then adding labour!! I just made them up to begin with!

I'm allways really shy about prices though as they seem like a lot of money!!!

Seahorse
16-02-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm allways really shy about prices though as they seem like a lot of money!!!

Me too, I feel cheeky asking for money.

Seahorse
16-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Raspberry, they are cheaper than my more expensive supplier I mentioned and they do colours Im after.
Thanks for making me re-look.

raspberrybloom
16-02-2007, 12:58 PM
No problem.

I use them all the time for Swarovski, they deliver really quickly too!

I also found silver moon beads the other day which have fantastic prices too - particularly on FW pearls!

Running_wild
25-02-2007, 05:42 PM
I have been selling beads and jewellery making supplies for a few years on ebay. Thier fees are too high so I have set up my own website. Please take a look and tell me what you think. I have hundreds more beads to add, but I think my prices are good.

Peter
25-02-2007, 07:26 PM
I have been selling beads and jewellery making supplies for a few years on ebay. Thier fees are too high so I have set up my own website. Please take a look and tell me what you think. I have hundreds more beads to add, but I think my prices are good.

Your prices are not bad at all, but if you're going to advertise to us - people who see beads every minute of the day! - you may want to put a little more in the description. For instance, 2mm seed beads are size 11, are they evenly cut, where are they from, are thay japanese/ european etc? You have some very nice glass beads, but 'beaders' need to be assured of quality (most of the time!) because, as you know, we have to sell the end product. Constructive criticism - I'm not picking!:D .............................oh, and you're still getting off lightly for all this advertising! :sm:

supersockmonkeys
22-05-2010, 06:27 AM
you can have a look on ebay,there are many different kinds beads

bedazzlebeads
03-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Pricing your pieces CAN be one of the most difficult things, especially as most start off selling to friends and family, before going to a wider audience ... And I think the route you take to sell your pieces, has to be worked in to the equation. If you are selling at craft fairs or on ebay, then the fees need to be taken into consideration.

I think the thing is to not out price yourself and ask yourself the question, how much will I be willing to spend, to own a particular piece and as long as you are making a profit to either re-invest and keep your hobby going, then you are onto a winner !

beadtime
13-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi new to this so cant put link yet but you could look at my site beadtime.co.uk we have thousands of beads and findings, we manafacture all our findings so we are always adding to our range. also we have a huge range of bonarski crystals which are an excelent alternative to swarovski and at a lot lower cost so you can afford to sell your jewellery at a atractive price

can email me at gavin@beadtime.co.uk