PDA

View Full Version : What can I melt...

Lucy's Designs
15-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Hoping some of you crafty foodies can help me here!

Wanted to make something hand-made for a couple of Christmas hampers and decided to have a go at the edible Christmas tree made from stars idea that was on Homemade Christmas (my goodness that woman has a lot to answer for!)

Anyways, I'm doing one using melted chocolate but I want to do one for my Mum who doesn't eat chocolate anymore (how she's a relative of mine I'll never know :p )...in the absence of chocolate she likes toffees and fudge but I've no idea how these would melt down in the way a chocolate bar does. Can anyone recommend something I can melt and pour over it to make it all hold together??

onlyme
15-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Runny, chocolate icing? You know, made the usual way but with cocoa in in for colour? Just a thought.

greannancrafts
15-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Why not make some toffee /caramel and drizzle over?

Jane

Lucy's Designs
15-12-2009, 04:20 PM
No it really doesn't want chocolate in it at all...Mum gave up chocolate years ago on a diet and now just can't eat it at all, even the smell makes her feel sick. Bizarre lady she is :p

Has anyone tried melting pieces of fudge or toffee?

Lucy's Designs
15-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Why not make some toffee /caramel and drizzle over?

Jane

Oops, we were typing at the same time! You mean make the toffee/caramel from scratch?? Anyone know how expensive/time consuming that is? This really is a hamper top-up rather than the main thing so wouldn't want it to cost too much

silvermaid
15-12-2009, 04:48 PM
How about peppermint creams? they are really simple to make and they can be pushed into moulds quite easily.

Melanie

PrincessPrudence
15-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Marshmallows?

Lucy's Designs
15-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Ohhh peppermint creams! We used to make them all the time when I was little, saw the recipe on Play Days and that was it!

Marshmallows is a good idea, they use marshmallows for those Rice Crispie Squares don't they so they must work...so many options for me to sample!

the card shark
15-12-2009, 05:54 PM
What about using fondant icing? Not dissimilar in taste to peppermint creams (just without the peppermint). Or you could make your own caramel - that would be really yummy and add a lovely golden hue to your tree.

Tate & Lyle do a powdered foundant icing where you just add water to make it up. If you heat it for a few seconds in the microwave, it has a runnier pouring consistency without there being a risk if it not setting. You'll find it in the supermarket next to the icing sugar. Or for a scrummier version you could make your own (you'll need glucose syrup as well as sugar and it is hard work making it but tastes so much nicer than shop bought).

For the caramel, you could follow a recipe for spun sugar, but just pour it over your tree instead. It will set hard and brittle.

I don't recommend that you melt any shop-bought sweets. You may end up with a crystalised mess that doesn't pour at all.