PDA

View Full Version : New Camera Advice?

gimcrackery
28-11-2009, 09:54 PM
I've been trying to take some photos of my jewellery with my old digital camera ready for my website but the photos are rubbish, just can't get the detail. I've been thinking about buying a new camera for sometime but really don't know where to start looking. Could anyone recommend a good but cheapish camera, which would be easy enough to use for beginners and good for close up shots.

thank-you!!

HappySheep
28-11-2009, 10:02 PM
To get close-up detail you either need an SLR or a good compact with a macro facility. These days you can get cameras with vast amount of megapixels, but unless you plan to print up to A2 then anything between 5 and 8 Mp is fine!

You shouldn't use flash, so you either need good lighting or daylight, and a plain background to help show the detail.

You don't say whereabouts you are, but if you aren't too far from Oxfordshire I could provide advice and training - contact me via my website if you're interested.

Cheers
Judith

gimcrackery
28-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Hi I'm in north london so probably a little bit too far away, but thank you for the help, I appreciate it.

shpangle
29-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Hi,

I am in need of a new camera as well. I have been posting pictures of my jewellery on my website etc using my 10 camera for ages now and thought it is about time I started taking some decent photos. I don't know much about cameras and wouldn't know where to start.

I have been posting a camera request on facebook and twitter in the hope that Santa will read it (this has even generated some photographer 'followers' lol). But first I should really get some advice on what type/model so Santa gets me the right one ;).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mick

silvermaid
29-11-2009, 01:59 PM
There have been a couple of threads about cameras which may be interesting.
http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29252&highlight=samsung+d103
http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=29767&highlight=samsung+d103

Melanie

gbell
29-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I bought a panasonic lumix recently and the best feature for taking jewellery shots is the macro zoom, so you can set up on a tripod and zoom in and out and still get a good close pic

HappySheep
30-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Although the best place to buy cameras is on the internet (get a better deal price-wise) there is nothing like handling one first, so if you go into your local camera shop and ask to see a few. You may find one which you love the look of just feels awkward in your hand - and if it ain't comfortable, you won't use it......!

Judith

bblb
30-11-2009, 09:17 PM
More often than not you can achieve very good results with even the most basic camera . . . but you have to ensure that the subject is well lit and that the camera is on a stable surface. Poor lighting and camera shake will inevitably result in poor images. Camera stability is best achieved by removing the user from the process - ideally the camera should be placed on a tripod or rigid surface and the cameras timer used to take the photography rather than depressing the button. Light is more difficult to work with but if you experiment with window light and reflectors (white card / foil covered card) you can see how light bounced into dark areas and used to highlight areas enhances your images and gives them shape.

Investing in a more expensive SLR camera and lenses will certainly help to produce 'better' images but you still need to understand light and composition to get the best of any camera. That said Canon and Nikon are leaders in the market and produce cameras and lenses to meet most needs from entry level to high end professional lenses - but you will be parting with in excess of 500. The second hand market for both these manufacturers is vibrant and bargains can be found.

Anna

Floobynooby
01-12-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi gimcrackery The most important thing for your camera would be the macro facility if you are going to be using it for close up photography. Have a look at dp review you can see the images taken by cameras on there and there are usually reviews posted by members who have used the camera. Most facilities on a camera you wont need so its better to pay for a more basic camera with good - lens, macro facility and auto focus. Also consider looking for a good quality second hand camera on ebay, rather than a lesser quality new camera if you are on a tight budget.

gimcrackery
03-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Thank you everyone for your help and advice. Have taken a few pics with my existing camera following the advice and they've actually turned out ok, not fantastic but am quite pleased for a first attempt. I'm going to hold off on getting a camera for now and see what santa brings!! thanks again. :)