PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Atlantis
09-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi there

I am new to using forums and this is my first try so please bear with me. I am hoping you guys may be able to help me out. I am relatively new to craft, although for the past few years I have been, well on and off anyway, cross stitching. I am still quite new to cross stitching though as I find I have to keep stopping and starting due to work committments.

I am about to take a voyage into the unknown as my partner has asked me if I would like to try my hand at Scrimshaw and Wood Inlay for him. He is at the moment creating scandinavian knifes to his own design and would like for these handles to be engraved using these techniques. The handles are not always made from wood, they are also fashioned from Antler's, Horns (do not worry, these are Horns and Antler's collected from when they naturally shed off through the seasons) or using Mother of Pearl as well as from gems such as Onyx and Turquoise.

Is there anyone who may know about these techniques or if they could point me in the right direction of where to find information about these from. I have undertaken searches for these techniques, but unfortunately the internet is not always that helpful.

If any of you guys may be able to help me out or advise me I would love to hear from you.

Thank you for your help and I look forward to joining your forum. :)

Miss Jules Jewellery
09-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Hello

I am sorry I do not know anything of use to you on this occassion but thought I would come along and (welcome) you to the forum anyway!
Hope you get as much as you can from this site! I personally LOVE IT!

x

bodrighy
09-11-2009, 03:17 AM
Welcome.

Scrimshaw is a very specific type of work that is almost entirly nautical in origin as far as I can tell. The old traditional guys used to do it with canvas needles and ink or other dyes and it was basically drawing. Inlay is the same as marquetry and can be done with veneers and small carving knives. Not easy to do well, takes a lot of practice but beautiful when done properly. Look forward to seeing your work.

Pete

Atlantis
09-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Hi Guys

Thank you for your comments and for your kind welcome to the forum:).

I will keep you posted with regard to my search for these techniques. Thank you for the heads up about the veneers and carving tools. I think this is going to be an interesting craft to learn about and to try. It may have some amusing first attempts, which I will let you see.

Thanks once again for your help.