PDA

View Full Version : Mosaic vase challenge- how is this made?

nickie1105
08-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Following on from my other thread, I managed to get over to Liverpool yeaterday and although they still didn't have what I wanted in the shop, they did have other items made of the same thing so I bought a small round vase. I'm really intrigued as to how this is made as I would like to have a go at making one myself. The mystery is this...the vase is made of mirrow mosaic which has been stuck onto a normal glass vase but if you look inside the vase it just looks like normal clear cracked glass meaning the mirror tiles have no backing on them at all? I've tried to photograph the inside but the focus is terrible given that the lens is too close to the surface being photographed.

The other mystery is how the mosaic has been glued to the surface of the glass vase? They've obviously done it with something clear, maybe silicone as like I said, you can't see any evidence of glue inside the vase. The mosaic can't be held on with grout alone as there isn't enough of it to do this? It looks to me like they've made the mosaic on a sheet of something clear and then rolled it around the vase somehow. Any ideas?

Here's a pic of the outside of it...excuse my junk in the background lol!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/premierpds/mosaicvase.jpg

nettie
08-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I have no idea how it's done i'm afraid, but just wanted to say it's gorgeous and hope you manage to find out how to do it and make one yourself :)

Moonbeam Angel
08-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Glad you have asked this. I have seen lots of mosaic vases like this and although a mosaic artist myself, I can find no instructions on how this is done.

What I can say though, is that it is probably shattered glass (as in toughened glass) which stays in one piece if handled carefully.

I have seen this as hobby mosaic glass by the A4 sheet in Hobbycraft but without instructions on how to apply it.

I do know that to apply any form of mosaic tesserae to glass you have to use a glass on glass adhesive.

I am assuming (until I get to have a go myself) that you apply the adhesive to the vase and then roll it over the sheet of shattered glass.

Then it would be grouted afterwards on the outside to fill any gaps.

Hope this helps. (It's another thing on my ever increasing "to do" list)

nickie1105
08-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Arh, now that definitely makes a lot of sense and I've done a little more digging because of your post...you can get glass safety film which is an alternative to toughened glass and has the same effect in that it holds all the pieces together once shattered and it's very cheap to buy too. I think we may have just solved the mystery...now to try it I guess lol!

I've also look into adhesives and it seems Weldbond might be a good bet as it's clear and it can also be used to stick glass to glass apparently!

Thanks so much for your post Moonbeam...me and my fella have been rather puzzled by this vase and how it's made and without you we wouldn't have known where to start lol!

claireybear
09-11-2009, 08:00 AM
It's beautiful!

Diane seems to have it sussed, I will be interested to hear how you get on!

I use bathroom silicone sealant to stick glass on glass (as recommended by the clever people on here!), it comes in translucent or white and does the job well, it does stink though! You might want to do it outside!

Moonbeam Angel
09-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Arh, now that definitely makes a lot of sense and I've done a little more digging because of your post...you can get glass safety film which is an alternative to toughened glass and has the same effect in that it holds all the pieces together once shattered and it's very cheap to buy too. I think we may have just solved the mystery...now to try it I guess lol!

I've also look into adhesives and it seems Weldbond might be a good bet as it's clear and it can also be used to stick glass to glass apparently!

Thanks so much for your post Moonbeam...me and my fella have been rather puzzled by this vase and how it's made and without you we wouldn't have known where to start lol!

my pleasure. Hope it works. Make sure you post a picture once you've done one too ;)

nickie1105
09-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Well it may have to wait a couple of weeks...I've had a massive leak in the house this week and thinking I was really organised with the cleaning for Christmas it's now sod's law that everywhere is in a right mess again- the bedroom floors are up and there's dust an inch thick everywhere- oh joy! I'll defo post a pic though when I do eventually get around to it!!! Thanks again gals, you're true diamonds among crafters!!!