PDA

View Full Version : Cutting MDF shapes?

looleeuk
07-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi, What do I need to cut small MDF shapes at home? I'm guessing there are different tools available - what kind of costs involved?

Thanks

claireybear
07-11-2009, 12:06 PM
I think you would need a scroll saw, its not really my area though so hopefully someone else with a bit more wood knowledge will be able to help soon!

Heidijw
07-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Yes, a scroll saw - you can pay anything from about 60 up to thousands!!! Try and get one that has variable speeds. Mine is pretty middle of the range and I paid around 200 for it on offer! Cuts a great variety of depths. Its a delta,I'm very happy with it but if you really want to go upmarket look at Hegnars!!!

If you're cutting MDF make sure you are wearing a mask - should wear a mask anyway but MDF dust is more toxic than wood dust. You can get masks specifically for MDF work

Moonbeam Angel
07-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Definitely a scroll saw, and these are not as easy to use as you think. My dad has one and cuts all my shapes for me. My brother in law tried first and could not get on with it. Definitely some skill involved. Also masks and eyewear needed too.

You may be better off buying pieces from places like ebay.

bodrighy
08-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Occasionally you see scrolls saws on flea bay going cheap(er). Delta are american/french and though apparently good saws you might have difficulty getting spares. Variable speed is ideal but one with fixed speed can be useful if you are only doing simpler shapes. Hegner, are the better ones but expensive even 2nd hand. (One on ebay with 3 days to go at the moment is at 200) Be wary of all the Chaiwanese clones that sell aroud the 50 - 75 range and buy from a reputable dealer if you go that way. I'd aim for a minimum of 100.
Alternatively buy shapes or use a jigsaw and a file / rasp to make them. Tedious compared to a scroll saw but works.

If you do get a scroll saw check out the type of blades. Some are pinned only and the best blades are the unpinned as you can do small intricate details in the shapes . Flying dutchman are the best blades to go for according to the experts.

Pete