PDA

View Full Version : Is soap making easy for a complete novice ???

sherrielinda
03-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Hi all, I've had a go at a lot of things but wondered if soap making is really difficult. It would be for me & family & I have read about chemists getting involverd, scary. If anyone could point me in the right direction or link to a good site that would be most welcome. It would have to easy as I posted my original message in the wood section, what a dipstick I am, thanks in advance, cheers.

Manyhobbies
03-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Melt and pour soaps are easy enough, there are plenty of recipes around including few free ones on peoples soap websites and a few good soap recipe books on Amazon. I have done melt and pour soap making with my children and apart from the little peeps going little overboard on the colouring, it was good fun to all do together.
I think that cold process soap making looks little more complicated and takes time to cure I think the phrase is, so I've not ventured into that.

If you intend to make to sell, then the soaps do hve to be assessed by a reputble cosmetic chemist and after, you need to label the soaps in accordance with regulations.

Good sites for information are soap school who also do courses - their assessment price is good too, soap kitchen have info on the regulations - probably many other plces are recommended for information too if you look back a few threads on here. I remember seeing it, but can't recall the other names at the moment.