PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Varnish?

The Bead Fairy
21-10-2009, 02:39 PM
I need to varnish over acrylic paints on wood and MDF. I think I have read that you should use acrylic varnish. Is this something you buy from an art/craft store? I want to make sure that it's going to dry clear and will not stain the wood.
Thanks

Scorch
22-10-2009, 08:29 AM
You can buy clear acrylic, but it's very expensive and hard to find.

Water-based (PVA) indoor varnish will work fine. The sort that looks white in the tin, and washes out with water. It dries sort of plasticky & completely clear, and works fine over acrylic paint.
You'll need a couple of coats, and you might need to rub it over with a fine abrasive between coats, as it might "raise the grain" - when that happens, the surface goes kinda rough, but a quick & gentle rub down after the first coat is dry will make the next coat go smooth.
I've done this lots of times... :)

somerset artist
22-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Have to agree with Scorch. I use a well known large high street retailers own product. In fact I bought some today 3 odd for a small tin. I use this interior varnish on my full size acrylic paintings and it works fine. I happen to use the satin - which gives a very light semi-gloss finish - clear. Dries in no time.

LillyTea
27-11-2009, 11:41 PM
I've just bought some spray acrylic lacer from Halfords (believe it or not!). Spray cans are about 6.99 - 8.99 ish depending on size.

I've not tried it yet but it might do the trick.

Lilly x

Aviya Glass
28-11-2009, 09:50 AM
I do the same as Scorch and Somerset artist and have no trouble at all. I used a spray varnish on one of my paintings and it stank so much :o but the tinned, milky stuff that dries clear gives a really nice finish. I like the finish that satin gives but that is personal choice.

Remember to take your piccies before varnishing to reduce glare ;);)

bodrighy
28-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Places like Halfords and other car places are great for bits and pieces for woodwork etc. Often cheaper as well. Haven't tried the PVA stuff. I'll have a go with that as I find acrylic paint on wood can be unstable and blend if you aren't careful. Thanks for the tip Scorch

Pete

onlyme
28-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Just be careful with your varnish as most varnishes not made specifically for artwork ie: canvas's etc, will yellow over a short period of time. ;) Although sometimes...I feel this can add to the charm of a piece!

wendy
13-12-2009, 07:45 AM
I agree, clear acrylic interior varnish is the way to go.

I use the satin finish too.

HF Glass Lady
13-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Agree with above used to make papier mache pigs and used acrylic paint. Either PVA will do or I used to use matt varnish from B&Q. You don't need to buy over priced stuff from art shops, its the same thing.

Scorch
13-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Hope it works for you guys! Wilko's own works fine for me...