PDA

View Full Version : what varnish to use? (decoupage)

PrincessPrudence
19-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Last week I picked up an old biscuit tin and I decided that I'm going to use an old London road atlas to decoupage it... then I'll have a nice tin to put my reels of cotton in. Anyway, I was looking for varnish at the weekend and all I could find was wood varnish... I wondered has anyone done anything like this before and if so what varnish did you use?

Thanks.

purplemac
19-10-2009, 03:19 PM
I've used acrylic medium before, but not on a tin. It's flexible, comes in gloss and matt, can be watered down and is cheap as it seems to go on forever! (I'm just getting to the bottom of my tub)

Debbie

bodrighy
19-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Many years ago when we got bored at sea we used to get old charts and make lampshades from them. We then varnished them with ordinary wood varnish and the effect was that of old parchment. It yellowed and went stiff. Dilute the varnish if it is thick (modern ones should be OK) and try on a piece of scrap first but it should work

Pete

PrincessPrudence
19-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Many years ago when we got bored at sea we used to get old charts and make lampshades from them. We then varnished them with ordinary wood varnish and the effect was that of old parchment. It yellowed and went stiff. Dilute the varnish if it is thick (modern ones should be OK) and try on a piece of scrap first but it should work

Pete

Do you think it would still work on the tin? I know it's the paper it's going on to, but have never decoupaged before, so am unsure! Where do I get these hairbrained ideas? lol.

bodrighy
19-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Varnish is very sticky. Try sticking some paper with it on an old bean tin (or whatever you get in tins) don't forget to take the paper label off first though. It should work. You might have to stick the map on first then varnish over it again afterwards when it is dry. Use a decent brush as brush marks show up with varnish

Pete

PrincessPrudence
19-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks Pete, I'll give it a try!

The Jewellery Project
19-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Hi, I used to use acrylic (water based) gloss varnish (from Homebase, B&Q etc). It is cheap and actually does a good job unless you're building up a LOT of layers. In that case it can get a whitish bloom to it that can spoil all your hard work. I've tried wood varnish too but it does yellow: although sometimes that 'aged' effect can be rather nice! I mostly now use 'Prism' clear glaze. It is perfectly clear, doesn't cloud and doesn't yellow. I buy it online but I'm sure it should be available in Art shops.

Some pictures/paper can absorb a lot of varnish, or absorb it unevenly, or become (and possibly remain - especially if the paper is thin) transparent. If in doubt with a particularly 'precious' piece, I always seal it first with a really thin layer either of varnish or of PVA glue.

A word of warning: decoupage is seriously addictive!!!:mf:

PrincessPrudence
19-10-2009, 04:32 PM
A word of warning: decoupage is seriously addictive!!!:mf:

God I hope not lol... I'll need to give up work if I decide to take up ANY more crafts! :) Thanks for the tips though... I might give wood varnish a go because if the tin looks aged (especially with maps on) it may add to look I'm trying to achieve. However, I may take your advice and seal with some PVA first!

Thanks again.
x

skyblue
09-11-2009, 02:45 PM
I use Royal Coat for decoupage - a glue and varnish/finish in one. It's perfect for working with paper and metal objects - which is exactly what I use it for. It comes in clear gloss, silk finish or in sepia. The 2 clear versions (gloss and silk) never turn paper yellow as the stuff is designed specifically for decoupage. The only problem is that it's quite expensive (about 6 for an 8 ounce bottle) and hard to find in this country. A friend brought my supply back from the USA. I've still got enough to last for several months, but will need to find a UK supplier soon.

Seahorse
09-11-2009, 06:53 PM
How about clear nail varnish or the clear varnish that you use over gold leaf.

Scorch
11-11-2009, 02:36 PM
As usual, I'd try PVA (water-based) varnish...

nova
01-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Last week I picked up an old biscuit tin and I decided that I'm going to use an old London road atlas to decoupage it... then I'll have a nice tin to put my reels of cotton in. Anyway, I was looking for varnish at the weekend and all I could find was wood varnish... I wondered has anyone done anything like this before and if so what varnish did you use?

Thanks.

Hi there - decoupage is totally my thang. The cats fear to sit still for too long in my house! (folksy shop=novalorsten)
what works for me, on pretty much any surface is to seal the completed surface with a good, thick coat of waterproof PVA- I mean really slap it on. This flattens the surface and prevents whatever you put on top of it discolouring the paper. and on a tin, I think I would try some clear enamel. My local B&Q sells it with the aerosol spray paints - along with clear lacquer - get this too, its great!).
have fun!

Tripoly
25-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Hi, I used to use acrylic (water based) gloss varnish (from Homebase, B&Q etc). It is cheap and actually does a good job unless you're building up a LOT of layers. In that case it can get a whitish bloom to it that can spoil all your hard work. I've tried wood varnish too but it does yellow: although sometimes that 'aged' effect can be rather nice! I mostly now use 'Prism' clear glaze. It is perfectly clear, doesn't cloud and doesn't yellow.

I know this thread is years old but was just wondering if you still used Prism Clear Glaze? I recently bought some for my first decoupage project, a table and chairs. Do you know whether or not it is UV protective? How many coats would I need?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any information you might have. I am nearly finished my project and want to make sure I don't ruin it with the wrong choice of varnish.:confused: