PDA

View Full Version : Reciepts

Sparklez
09-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Had an idle thought. What do people do about reciepts at craft fairs? Have you ever been asked for one?

I haven't been asked yet, but wondered what I should do just in case. Is a business card with the date and amount spent sufficient, or should there be more to it.

Inputs appreciated

Thanks
Carol

Seahorse
09-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Hmm, I dont officially know but what you suggested sounds good.
You can get receipt books form stationery shops, like a duplicate book, so you have your own copy and a copy to tear off and give to the customer.

swirlyarts
09-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Are you vat registered cos you will have to have your vat number on there too. A duplicate book sounds good but could be fiddly regarding the vat number unless you get a stamp or can be bothered to write it out each time!

Soapwitch
09-01-2007, 01:39 PM
I did lots of craft shows last year and was only ever asked for a receipt once. I always carry a reciept book with me, just in case. I got it from partners stationers it only cost around 2. I think you look more professional if you have something to hand rather than trying to find something to write on when the customer is in front of you.

Seahorse
09-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Maybe ask at a photocopying shop if they can make a duplicate book with your details on.

nattynetty
09-01-2007, 03:29 PM
I've only ever been asked for a receipt twice when doing craft fairs - we keep a little duplicate receipt book at the bottom of the cash-box for those rare occasions.

BTW I bought my reciept book at one of those cheapy shops, think it only cost 50p or a quid :)

Sparklez
09-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks for your inputs.

Not VAT registered, don't think I'm going to turn over 45,000 in a year or whatever the threshold is for VAT.

Did think about getting a duplicate book, just thought it might be a pain to have to stand and write it, especially if the stand is busy. Will have a further think on this.

Thanks again
Carol

Seahorse
09-01-2007, 04:23 PM
You could take a clipboard with you to lean on.

Last I heard I think the VAT amount is around 60,000.Dont worry, il wont be turning that amount either.

Memories4ever
11-01-2007, 01:15 AM
Why not get a cheapy receipt book, and some of those sticky address labels with your details. Then all you have to do is add the date and the amount. :)

Emma Farnworth
11-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Why not get a cheapy receipt book, and some of those sticky address labels with your details. Then all you have to do is add the date and the amount. :)

Thats what I do! I tend to do receipts for everyone co it means that i've got a record of whats sold, otherwise i'd forget to write stuff down.

I'm not 100% sure but i thought you had to provide contact details to customers if you were selling stuff?!

wabbit
11-01-2007, 06:54 PM
I'm not 100% sure but i thought you had to provide contact details to customers if you were selling stuff?!

I thought that was only with distance selling ie. mail order/ internet sales ? I could be wrong tho!

i have done loads of craft fairs and only been asked for a receipt once and i just wrote out the details of the sale on a page of my notebook :)

Sparklez
11-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all the added inputs guys, it's most appreciated. I always put a business card in with all purchases at craft fairs and a packing slip with web orders, so all my customers have my contact details. I like the stick label and duplicate book idea, saves on writing and should be relatively quick, so think I'll go for that.

Cheers
Carol

Memories4ever
12-01-2007, 01:16 AM
I thought that was only with distance selling ie. mail order/ internet sales ? I could be wrong tho!

i have done loads of craft fairs and only been asked for a receipt once and i just wrote out the details of the sale on a page of my notebook :)

Why would you not give a customer your details? - they might contact you with more orders.....

I bought a smaller leather pouch (for when I'm doing archery) that hangs from my belt. I've have loads of people ask about it, but I've got no contact details - could have got the trader a boatload of orders.....

shaun
12-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I would use a duplicate book.

Cheap self inking stamps can be obtained on the web from a company called vistaprint.com

they also do labels, business cards etc. I opted for the cheapest postage option (21 days) and received goods in about 3 days:)

Shaun

wabbit
12-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Why would you not give a customer your details? - they might contact you with more orders.....

I bought a smaller leather pouch (for when I'm doing archery) that hangs from my belt. I've have loads of people ask about it, but I've got no contact details - could have got the trader a boatload of orders.....

No, what I meant was you don't HAVE to give your contact details if it is a face to face transaction only for distance selling. EVERYTHING I sell has my web address on it I also have business cards on my stall, my full contact details are on on these I also put a slip in with future fair dates and my details are on this slip too. :) (I just don't give out receipts ;))