PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice for Selling on Etsy

Vintage Chic
16-10-2009, 08:57 PM
I have recently started making my own vintage handbags, and I thought that I would sell them on Etsy. I have sold and bought a lot on ebay, but I thought Etsy would be more appropriate seeing as they are handmade.
But i am concerned about whether it works out more expensive? Also, how successful my sales would be seeing as I am selling from the UK and not the USA.
Are there any UK members here who sell on Etsy? Did you find that you were able to sell your items quickly/easily?
Also are there any other popular sites that you can suggest that might be a better place to sell my items?

Thanks!

alibear
16-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Sorry can't offer advice but I'm interested in following this thread as I'm also a bag maker (among other things) and siged up to etsy yesterday.

Would love to see some of your vintage designs! I know it's too early in your 'life' on the forums to post any links but you could PM me.

I am becoming bag obsessed!

Vintage Chic
16-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Lol I'm obsessed with bag making now as well. So much so that I am starting to think that I my degree English is not what I want to do anymore haha. I was just making a post with some of my designs, but alas I have to have made more posts.

But yes, I am in need of advice for Etsy on how popular it is. I don't want to list my items and find that they haven't sold in months...

I might send you a pm with some of my designs =)

alibear
16-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Ohhh yes! Please do! Send send send!

As well as etsy there are 2 english sites -that I have also signed up for but not listed anything on yet- One is called MISI the other is FOLKSY. They work in the same way to etsy but are newer and not as well known about but I think it's only a matter of time before they are as 'big' to the UK as etsy is to the US.(does that make sense?)

My degree was in metalwork and jewellery design and i still make quite abit of jewellery but wish i'd done a fashion/textiles course too - my mum is teaching me all she knows though so hopefully one day I'll be an expert!

Vintage Chic
16-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Great thanks, MISI looks really good in particular. I was reluctant to sell on Etsy because it would all have to be sold in dollars, and most likely it would all be selling abroad and people are reluctant to buy from so far over seas because of the postage costs.

Anyway, I might give MISI a try....

claireceramic
17-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi, I've been selling on etsy and Folksy for just over a year now.
both sites do quite well for me. I sell more on etsy than folksy and most of my sales from etsy are to the USA.
I prefer Etsy to work with, as the site is cleaner and faster, although the forums can be quite intimidating.
folksy is very friendly and cosy on the forums, but I do find the site quite clunky to work with.
Postage costs overseas don't seem to put people off, but then my felt bags are very light!!!
I'm firmly believe that both are better than ebay. folk buying from these sites seem to understand and want handcrafted items not just bargains.
I also use my online shops on my business cards so folk can buy online from me with little hassle.
hope I haven't complicated things:sm: