PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof coat???

crafterholic
08-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Hi!
I really can't find a waterproof coat I like anywhere so would love to make my own, but I imagine it's pretty difficult - does anyone know of a good tutorial for it, or point me in the right direction with regards to materials?
Thanks in advance!

Wildwytch
08-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I'd suggest buying a pattern for a waterproof coat.

That way, it should list everything you need on the envelope, along with fabric suggestions and the instructions inside.

tipsylipsy
08-10-2009, 01:40 PM
The are lots of womens coat patterns about, I agree with wildwytch you should definately buy one of those. Vogue have some really lovely styles, although I am not sure how ecperienced you are and theie patterns can be quite difficult for novices to follow. As for fabrics it would really depend on how waterproof you want it to be. There are companies on the net who deal in waterproof fabrics and they tend to be for camping outdoor sports that kind of thing and so choice can be quite limited. I did find some really pretty fabric in the states if you go to my site and look on the New Fabrics section you'll see there it is a pale aqua with differnt coloured circles on it, it is light weight and waterproof but at $20 per yard + shipping + import tax mega expensive so I have'nt bought it. there are wash in treatments to make you fabrics waterproof too

Good luck

purplemac
13-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Sew Today had an article about making waterproof coats, and it didn't seem to be that hard to do. You just had to seal the seams either as or after you've sewn them.

Unfortunately, for the life of me I can't remember if it was in this months mag or the month before and can't find either mags anyhow!:confused:

I'll see if I can find it!
Debbie

candles by lisa
13-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Asda at the moment are doing a lovely short raincoat for 15. I treated myself and it looks great.

Cheers.

Lisa

:D

befascinated
13-10-2009, 06:54 PM
I snowboard a lot and by waterproofing treatment thats just goes in the washer at 40 degrees with whatever you want to waterproof cost between 4 - 7 per bottle. You only have to apply it once unless you machine wash again. The bottle goes quite a long way.

Ive waterproofed fleeces for when its milder ski jackets can be too warm at times. I have also used for SS coat (he thinks fleeces are for oldies) tracksuit trousers everything stood up to the test.

Thought this might help you not to limit your material search.