PDA

View Full Version : Photographing Bracelets

Sandrah78
22-09-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm currently revamping my website and need some info on how best to photograph bracelets. I've tried different materials, backgrounds and bracelet displays but am not happy with the results. The best images I've had have been when I've used white card as it less grainy when close up. Can anyone suggest anything else I could try please? x

alibear
22-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Can't remember who but someone mentioned about displaying bracelets on cones made out of card at craft fairs - might be worth a try.

Also have you tried buying a few different ceramic tiles and trying them on those?

itsamistry
22-09-2009, 10:54 PM
I've done some with mirrors as the base.

Sandrah78
22-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Great suggestions - thanks, I'll see what I can find.

Kernowcraft
23-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Try textured white fabric - we've been photographing some of our jewellery for the new catalogue on a white textured material (actually it is a tea towel! :D).

Depending on the look you want your photographs to have you could also try draping the bracelets over beach pebbles, over glass bowls - looks around the house for anything that is quite simple and that won't detract from your jewellery but will just compliment it.

or you could edit out the backgrounds in photoshop....

Hannah :)

Lily
23-09-2009, 11:07 AM
My 12 yr old daughter took my bracelets recently and went outside and hung them, in staggered formation, on a twig sort of branch of a tree. It look really good! But because the photo is too big i can't upload it. Don't know how!

Tiara Girl
23-09-2009, 12:17 PM
White background and photoshop the background out so only the product shows... it will look contemporary and the images will never date.

H Bee
23-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Hey,

I use a piece of slate when photographing my items, its not brilliant but it does the job. I have seen someone cant remember who unfortunately) use a large shiney black tile before and it looked brilliant!!! (and if you go to your local tile shop and say your looking for a sample you maybe able to pick one up for free or a few pounds)

You could see the product really well and also a reflection of the piece in the tile - i dont know how easy this is tho!

I hope this helps somehow?!

Nicola-D
26-09-2009, 11:58 PM
I took this in the bath.....
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv346/Nicola-D/stuff/purplebraceletcommission.jpg

and this in the bath too....

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv346/Nicola-D/stuff/undertheseaSOLD.jpg

and this on a curtain outside in the bright sun...

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv346/Nicola-D/bfb006.jpg

I've been really pleased with how the photos I take in the bath have turned out - someone on here suggested it.

Kernowcraft
28-09-2009, 10:12 AM
They look great - another good tip (which I use when taking photos of our jewellery or products) is to increase the amount of light that comes into the camera, if your camera allows you to adjust the light levels, give it a go - it seems to work better than using a flash or using a light and makes everything look a bit brighter...

Elmtree Charms
28-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I also find it quite painful to get good photos of jewellery - camera seems to want to focus the middle of the shot but often the middle is empty -ie with circular bracelet or necklace. I have taken some photos of charm bracelets laid out in a line which works ok.

I love the idea of the bath - not sure if mine is scrubbed clean enough for this idea though!

I took some photos in the summer outside with the pieces on v large pebbles which was great but only really suited the casual summer pieces.

thanks for all the useful tips
Susan

Honey_Bee
28-09-2009, 10:36 PM
I use different items for the background like shells or pebbles and drape the bracelet over them. It gives the photograph more of a 3D feel and have found it looks quite good. I'm also lucky to have a very kind boyfriend who is brilliant at photography!

craftybeader
29-09-2009, 09:02 AM
I have used different backgrounds, slate, stone slab and heavily grained wood. White backgrounds would look fab for your work Sandra as the background of your website is a lovely rich colour. I think the idea of the bath is great!

Kernowcraft
29-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I also find it quite painful to get good photos of jewellery - camera seems to want to focus the middle of the shot but often the middle is empty -ie with circular bracelet or necklace.

What you can do is point and focus the camera on the edge of the bracelet - so that is in focus, then point the camera to the middle of the bracelet and take the photo - as long as you do this carefully and do not change the distance between the camera and the object it will focus at the correct distance and get the bracelet in focus!

Vivalabeader
29-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi

I do the photos in the sink thing - it makes the flash brighter or something - but I put a peice of white paper in the bottom (then the surface looks nicer).

I did the cones thing, but my jewellery was too heavy and squished it.

So I had a little inspired idea (even if I do say so myself) I bought a load of picnic martini glasses, threw away the detachable base and use them as clear cones, whihc shows them better...............and now I've got battery operated fairy ilghts and put lights under each one to show the colours!
(sorry, very proud of my creative idea - the first one I haven't stolen from someone else!)

sockcreatures1
29-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Hello
You can get perspex cones from somewhere like Noble or we recently had some pics taken for a magazine of some of our jewellery and we had it displayed on pebbles and ice. Hope this helps

Manyhobbies
29-09-2009, 11:34 AM
I used to sell body jewellery and I tried a light tent to get the photos right but it didnt work too well, someone said I needed a proper light box, I bought one - good results sometimes, but not everytime (far from it). So, in the end I got so frustrated with shadows and not enough light etc, I quite accidently stumbled upon black backgrounds. In a stupid way really because I was using serif to colour in all the shadows white, which quite often bled over to the silver colour on the jewellery that in a fit of grumpiness, I clicked on black to colour it in - it was as I say just a grumpy 'have it your way' type of thing, but the results with jewellery were incredible.
I tried photogrphing on black backgrounds which is best, but it is very difficult to find a background that is true black and also matt so it doesn't reflect the flash. So using a dull white picture and turning to black - true black can look just as striking as white. I never looked back.

jackpot_coventry
29-09-2009, 12:25 PM
SOmeone, somewhere suggested using a scanner. But I have not had chance to try this yet.
If someone has time and a working scanner and fancies trying this it would be great to see the final pic :)

silverjewelleryworkshop
29-09-2009, 02:04 PM
All good answers here. I'd like to add that different backgrounds work better for different colours so it's a good idea to experiment. A plain white background is brilliant for cool blue colours as it really accentuates the blue where a slate background or black velvet is great for reds.

Caroline