PDA

View Full Version : help with drillin holes

dizzygirl
19-09-2009, 09:48 PM
hi there, am a fused glass artist, am new to drilling holes though.. have tried on pendant that has been full fused and am finiding that they break. Am using a 3mmdiamond drill bit and my dads drill.
Does it matter how fast the drill speed is? and should i try fusing the glass more times to make it stronger?

any tips will be grateful

thanks
mel

kitty_ohare
26-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Have you tried putting the pendant in a small amount of water, just enough to cover it, and then drilling. The glass gets super hot with the friction from the drill bit and that's why it breaks.

TePe
27-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Slow speed, and gentle pressure, with lots of water. NO sidewards pressure at all. Personally I would think a power drill is a bit heavy and cumbersome for delicate working. Try to pick up a flexible drive for the drill, you will have a lot more control.

Rachel_Elliott_Glassworks
29-09-2009, 12:20 AM
Will echo what's been said on here already but you really want no sideways movement at all and ALWAYS use any diamond tools with water to extend the live of the tool and keep the glass cool when coldworking it.

I use a pillar drill with a water feed attachment (quite an expensive investment but worth it if you plan on drilling many holes!) Also what kind of drill bit is it? I tend to use core drill bits for 3mm and upwards as they are easier to use with glass.

Hope that helps a wee bit...

(I also have some drilling stuff for sale if it's of interest...;))

daiven2009
11-10-2009, 02:20 PM
�������������������������������������������������� �������������������������������������������������� �������������������������������������������������� �������������������������������������������� �����