• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seba36
    Junior crafter
    • Aug 2009

little children and fairs

I would like to book a christmas fair in Stratford upon Avon but the fair is going to 8pm. It's a long time for children... and my parents live in Germany, it's quite a long way for them to take care of they...What do you do with your children if you go to a fair?
    Barbara

http://www.potterybybarbaramucha.co.uk
  • The Bead Fairy
    100+ crafts club
    • Oct 2007

I often think they could do with a cresh at fairs for stall holders kids. How old are yours?
    Mine is 8 and if I have to take him (I am lucky as my parents live very close) he brings a book and I find jobs for him to do, we have a deal and if he helps with a minimum of moaning he gets a bit of pocket money, but is a very long day for him.
    I have had stall holders children making bangles and bits on my stall (for a small cost) to keep them busy.
    Usually take a big bag of books, puzzles, toys but nearly always bored of them in first half hour! lol
    Sorry not of more help maybe the others have secrets they can share.
    Good luck!

Comment

• AnnieAnna
      Super mega big crafter
      • Nov 2008

Yes...there's usually one poor stallholder that ends up entertaining all the bored stall holders children

Still it's good for the kids. Ive paid them 50p to get me a drink and a cake.
      A friend taught some little girls how to make friendship bracelets and they sat with me to sell them. One of them made £21 in a day! The littlest one didn't get the hang of making a profit and sold hers for the cost of the wool and the bead but she was delighted with the circle of buy, make, get a coin, start again.
      I think we underestimate our kids. At Kentwell www.kentwell.co.uk kids pretend to be C16th kids (so 'have' to work all day). They don't have to but they want to. And anyway they do. Maybe we are clever at managing them on our market but we play games with them then they play with the customers, they demonstrate the toys, they arrange things prettily, we give them a basket of something simple to sell and they are our aw factor.
      And the best thing for keeping them quiet is the make something and we will pay you ploy.

AnnieAnna

Comment

• seba36
        Junior crafter
        • Aug 2009

My children are 2 and 5. At the moment it isn't a problem but in winter I don't know. I think they'll be very fast cold and from 9am to 8pm is a long time...
        Barbara

Comment

• bodrighy
          Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
          • Mar 2009

Get mine to man the stall while I go and have a break They are all grown up...I'm free

Pete
          "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
          Facebook

Website

Comment

• tipsylipsy
            Super crafter
            • May 2009

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
            Get mine to man the stall while I go and have a break They are all grown up...I'm free

Pete

Show off - lol
            Karen
            www.angelicfolk.co.uk
            Bespoke clothing for your little angels
            http://angelicfolk.etsy.com
            http://www.facebook.com/#!/angelic.folk?ref=profile

Comment

• Critchley
              Super Moderator
              Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post

Pete
              Beware, your age is showing. lol.
              Carol
              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

• bodrighy
                Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                Beware, your age is showing. lol.
                I don't look that old do I?

Pete
                "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                Facebook

Website

Comment

• seba36
                  Junior crafter
                  • Aug 2009

Pete
                  I'm not sure so you are free. My big daughter is 19 and I know how much time you can spend... but I'm very jealous
                  Barbara

Comment

• SNOWF1975
                    Super Big Crafter
                    • Jul 2008

Well, my daughter is 4. Im very lucky that my OH always takes her somewhere nice while im at a fair. And if im selling somewhere midweek, my mum will watch her for me. Iv NEVER seen any stallholders with children at any fairs iv been too! strange.
                    Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

Working...
                    X