• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cupcake360
    Moderate crafter
    • Jul 2009

Is it worth it?

Hi all

I attended a rather small fair in bucks during the summer (badly advertised) and did make a little money. I used this fair as tester, and the for the amount of poeple (not many) they showed great interest. But now after reading, how careful you have to be with allergies etc food hygiene certs public liability insurance etc etc, I have to ask is it really worth it. I seemed to have a lot of waste food, which I know you just cannot judge how much or how little you are gonna sell. I have possibly a couple of chirmbo fayres booked, but just wondered if this is another silly idea I have which will end up in the blender. ????
  • greannancrafts
    Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
    • Oct 2008

This is always a difficult one for fresh foodies.

Unless you are doing many events which your stock can be carried over to the next day, there will nearly always be some waste, which has to come off your bottom line.

I was talking to a cupcake girl on Sunday - on the Saturday she had sold out by 10.30 - on Sunday she only sold half her stock.

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

• indri
      Super Moderator
      Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
      • Jan 2007

food stalls will always be difficult to judge. I went to a food festival recently and a cupcake company were right next to someone selling muffins and you could buy 2 muffins for the price of 1 cupcake which isn't going to help. the cupcake person had some free samples but I didn't think they were a tasty as what I can make myself...
      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

• 0103media
        Administrator
        Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
        • Sep 2004

I don't know if you saw that program about the pig farm, one of jamie olivers friends on tv..

He went to a street fair xmas time I think in london.. The Pitch cost 1,000's but he'd made 10,000's in sales and got his name out and about at the same time..

I'm very pro local fairs but if it costs say £25 a day and you make £50 profit after costs you have double you investment (ignoring time of course)

Maybe thing like chutney and the alike would be a good sellers and of course it keeps ?

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
        (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

• matt.chatterley
          500+ Crafters Club
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by 0103media View Post
          I'm very pro local fairs but if it costs say £25 a day and you make £50 profit after costs you have double you investment (ignoring time of course)
          And don't forget the advertising benefit!

You might break even after your time, say, but if you've spoken to 50 locals about what you do and piqued their interest - you might end up doing a lot better once all is said and done!
          --Matt

Web Development
          Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

• cupcake360
            Moderate crafter
            • Jul 2009

Thanks for the input,

Will be brave and just go for it! The waste does not worry so much as the cost of setting up, but I guess it only has to be done once. Have already spoken to the food hygiene peeps and so on. will see.

thanks again

Comment

• GlamGlass
              Super crafter
              • Jul 2008

The way I tend to look at these events, is that I am Hiring a shop floor for the day! I am promoting myself and my wares and I hand out lots of business cards and chat to people about what I make etc.

Even if I don't make much on the day, the benefits are huge as I get people remembering me, booking parties, or just ordering from me direct.

I know with food it may be a little bit different, but ask the organisers what sort of numbers they would expect to attend and then have a think about projected sales. If wastage is an issue underestimate for the 1st few and see how you get on. It is also a matter of trial and error and you will learn as you go.

Good luck anyway!!
              Rach

Facebook
              Website
              Blog
              Folksy

Comment

• bomere
                Junior crafter
                • Aug 2009

Hi cupcake,

I've been selling cakes at farmers markets etc for nearly 3 years now.

Very hard work, and like you I had a lot of waste at first. With experience you can make a fair estimate to sales levels at various shows.

Couple of tips:
                1 When considering show always ask if you are only one selling cakes. If a small show don't touch if there is competition.

2 With short life products like cupcakes I hace made deal with local hotel to buy my left over cakes at discount price.

good luck

Lynne
                Last edited by bomere; 16-09-2009, 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

Working...
                X