PDA

View Full Version : I'm making a HUGE panel to go over my front door...

LittleMissNaughty
07-09-2009, 04:07 AM
.....and can't decide whether to just go back to basics and use rufflet tape or to make it look extra nice and use eyelets... only problem is I've never done eyelets before...and don't know where to start! I'm a fairly competant sewer and like a challenge but if I'm going to make a hash of it I'd rather stick to what I know!

How do I 'do' eyelets???????

Thank You xxxx:)

sharon
07-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi,
Basically there are 2 different methods:-
1. Ready made eyelet tape 2. Interfacing method.

On both methods you have to have an even number of eyelets (eg 6, 8, 10 etc) in order for the curtain panel to pleat correctly.

I think if the panel is for your own door you would be fine using the very simple ready made tape. Buy enough tape for the width of your panel plus a bit extra to allow for adjusting the spaces, buy enough clip-in eyelets for your panel. Basically you attach the tape to the top of your panel, cut out circles from your panel to align with the holes in the tape & clip on the eyelets to hide the cut edges. You can attach the tape either to the back of the panel (like heading tape) or fold down the top edge of the fabric & sandwich the tape so that its hidden. Don't forget that the spaces at either end of the panel are 1/2 the size of the spaces in between the eyelets. You can buy both tape & eyelets from Dunelm Mill.

The other method is the professional way but you do need to be quite good at working out spacing etc. as you mark your own circles on the fabric once the interlining has been put in the curtain, & then you'll be cutting through several layers of fabric, interlining, curtain lining etc. - best to do this with a very sharp knife (craft or stanley knife etc) Professional workshops have a cutting tool but its hugely expensive so don't even go there!! Then you add the eyelets to cover the cut edges.

Good luck

Sharon

Dovetail
23-09-2009, 09:14 AM
I posted a comment about this earlier. It is quite an expensive project either way. If you use the tape it will not be as stiff. Buckrum is the best method really.

Maybe a local soft furnishing business would put the eyelets in for you at a small charge. A number of them have little press machines which make the job really quick and I think well worth it in the end. It is quite hard work cutting circles into buckrum.

Scorch
24-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I'd punch the circles out with a hammer and a wad punch, on a wooden block or cutting mat.

Wad punches can be found on hardware stalls on the market at about 3 a set, in sizes from 1/8" ip to 1/2" or bigger

They look like this :
http://www.westwealdfalconry.co.uk/_productimages/wadpunchesx9.JPG

Put your laters of material (or anything else cuttable, like leather, card, vinyl, rubber) flat on your bit of wood or cutting mat on a STRONG surface, put the pointy end of the wad punch where you want the hole to be, hold it upright and whale on the other end with a big hammer. One good whack usually does it, but if it doesn't, twiddling the punch round a half-turn and giving it another good whack typically finishes the job.

Not subtle, but effective on mist stuff that's cuttable...

Aileen
25-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Modern curtain eyelets need a hole 30mm plus diameter - I think you need to buy special (more expensive) hand tools from curtain equipment suppliers to cut this size. Merrick & Day sell them.

Scorch
25-09-2009, 08:40 AM
That's a hefty hole to punch!

Like this : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOLLOW-PUNCH-30mm-hole-for-craft-leather-DIY_W0QQitemZ280396877394QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cra fts_Leathercraft_LE?hash=item4148f4ce52&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

sharon
26-09-2009, 11:53 AM
The proper dies & machine to cut eyelet holes in buckram are extremely expensive upwards of 100 & that's trade prices - its only worth considering if you are making loads of pairs!

Our local Fabric Warehouse used to charge 1 each to cut eye holes + 1 each for the ring itself making 2 per eyelet - as the average pair of curtains 66" wide would take approx 16 eyelets thats 32 just for the heading.

I used to complete the curtain panel with buckram, fabric & lining so that it was just a full panel without any heading then I would pin the layers together at the top so they didn't move about & mark the circles for the eyelets on the reverse side of the panel. Then I would cut through all the layers with a stanley knife (use a new blade & a spare piece of wood/MDF underneath), the circles would then come away easily & I would clip in the eyelets. The curtains were then finished.

I made quite a few eyelet curtains for clients & they always looked a treat!

Cheers

Sharon :)

Suffolksewingschool
30-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I have to agree with Sharon on this. There are many small Curtain makers who have the appropriate dies and the machine and the effect is stunning. Well worth the outlay!

Shanoa35
31-10-2009, 08:28 AM
I do agree with Sharon on this