PDA

View Full Version : Should I/shouldn't I?

onlyme
05-09-2009, 09:27 AM
I have a pine bookcase that I love - except that it's a bit outdated being pine, so I'm considering giving it a shabby chic look (I love shabby chic) to brighten it up. It wasn't cheap as I had it made specially, so I don't want to ruin it and my question is...has anyone else attempted to try this?

beadsbydesign
05-09-2009, 10:14 AM
yep!
As an interior designer, I often undertook this type of project. Double paint laying, lime look finishes etc. At the end of the day it you decide you don't want it like that anymore, then you can simply sand it back to pine.
What sort of look are you thinking of?

onlyme
05-09-2009, 10:44 AM
What sort of look are you thinking of?

I hadn't really thought so if you can give me any ideas I'd be very grateful. I just had a whitewashed/limed look in my head - not had any experience with this type of project before so I don't want to mess up. :)

wendy
05-09-2009, 09:59 PM
I speak as someone who can't put a paintbrush down, and doesn't really like to paint in flat colour. Also as a craft teacher.

Whatever you do with paint is reversible, so never worry about it. Like beadsbydesign says, you can sand it off if you don't like it. You can also paint over it.

Shabby chic is easy and fun. There are different ways to do it. The easiest of all is slap the paint on and sand off at corners and edges. You could also use two colours, one over the other. Some people like to use wax as a resist to allow some colour to show through (rub a candle over it before the second layer), but a light sanding can work too (my choice, I don't bother with wax). Let a bit of the wood show through too.

I like to work with acrylics - they have great coverage, a fab colour choice, and are intermixable with emulsions if necessary. You can add an acrylic varnish to protect.

If you are still a bit unsure, experiment with painting a bit of scrap wood first. You may end up hooked, be warned!!

Sand lightly between your layers, even where you don't need paint coming off, and especially after your first coat - it makes a big difference to your finish. Water-based paints can raise the grain of the wood, making it rough, so it's especially important to sand after the first coat.

Oh, and enjoy!!:)

onlyme
06-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks Wendy. I'm quite fond of the 'aged' look on canvas too, and I go out of my way to make some of my canvas's look like this, so I don't know why I'm worrying really? Perhaps it's because it's an expensive piece of furniture and not a small, flat square of material, lol! I will post my results here if I decide to go ahead. ;)

nettie
07-09-2009, 12:21 AM
I did a small bathroom cabinet years ago, when yellow and blue was in fashion! cough cough, and sanded it down, working with the grain and then rubbed some gold paste onto the edges. For the time it looked pretty good, goodness knows where it is now though :D I also did some mdf vases/pot/pen holders and between the 1st and 2nd layer of paint i stencilled fleur de lys patterns so that when I rubbed it back it showed parts of the 'old' design. Have fun :)

onlyme
07-09-2009, 07:56 AM
That sounds lovely, Nettie - the fleur's I mean, lol! ;)

kazzells
07-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi only me

Wendy is right! Once you start shabby-ing stuff you wont stop, if you ar unsure why not try it out on an old pine picture frame, get your layers right on there first before you commit to a big peice. Good luck and take some before and after photos so we can see!

kazx

wendy
07-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks Wendy. I'm quite fond of the 'aged' look on canvas too, and I go out of my way to make some of my canvas's look like this, so I don't know why I'm worrying really? Perhaps it's because it's an expensive piece of furniture and not a small, flat square of material, lol! I will post my results here if I decide to go ahead. ;)

You're right, you're worrying because it's an expensive piece of furniture!!

Stop worrying, it's only paint!!

It'll be fab when it's done.

LillyTea
27-11-2009, 11:48 PM
I say do it! You can always take some sandpaper to it after if you're not happy!

Lets see some pics when you're done!

Critchley
28-11-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm a natural wood fan, love all the colours and grains but this is definately a case of whatever your personal likes and dislikes are. If you want to then go for it.