PDA

View Full Version : [ukCraftWebsites.co.uk] More PageRank/ Please

FurnitureFarm
25-11-2006, 08:09 AM
I've been considering taking a listing under furniture. However ...
www.ukCraftWebsites.co.uk/furniture.php
... has a Google PageRank of only four and ...
www.seoChat.com/seo-tools/link-price
... calculates it as having a value of 8 ($12).

I'm not expecting parity with the seoChat tool, but would expect pricing to be in that ballpark. Any chance of endeavours to increase PageRank (of the site and it's category pages), generally reduce the price of listing or tie the price to the PageRank in the category desired?

0103media
25-11-2006, 11:12 AM
lol...

the directory is nothing to do with page rank.. Its all about visitors..

Many people come looking for crafts so we offer high quality visitors not just browsers.. The set of the directory allows a counter on the link to work along with the value of the link being passed..

If you have used tools like seochat link pricer then you should know is a gudie along with the fact that PR is just a guide..

If your looking for cheap no traffic links that are high PR and worthless imho
Try http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

If you need and advice PM or of course reply to this thread!..

0103media
25-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Another thing about PR is its only worth something if your trying to sell it on..

Here is yahoo listing @ $299

http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/Countries/United_Kingdom/Business_and_Economy/Shopping_and_Services/Home_and_Garden/Furnishings/Furniture/Retailers/

PR0

PR is almost 3 months out of date..

I can pm or post 1,000's upon 1,000's of people posting about not caring much about PR..

If you take the forums as an example check the PR out then visit all the search engines and type "crafts forum" and look at the serps.. How is it possiable with only a PR3???

Peter
25-11-2006, 11:40 AM

That link is an eye opener! Advertising a signature spot open to bids is priceless! :rolleyes:

FurnitureFarm
25-11-2006, 02:24 PM
the directory is nothing to do with page rank.. Its all about visitors..

Many people come looking for crafts so we offer high quality visitors not just browsers.. The set of the directory allows a counter on the link to work along with the value of the link being passed
Yes, we'd like both, please :)

However, the currently sparse look of the directory* makes it, IMO, easily mistaken for a PageRank promotion system.

* - I think, aesthetics're O/T, for this thread, and'll pick-up in them elsewhere.

0103media
25-11-2006, 02:48 PM
However, the currently sparse look of the directory* makes it, IMO, easily mistaken for a PageRank promotion system.

* - I think, aesthetics're O/T, for this thread, and'll pick-up in them elsewhere.

Not a PR directory.. never has and never will .. (I have other sites for that) ..

I've been a SEO since 1997 so I can talk about PR and search engine for ever.. ;)

Good luck looking for PR hehehe Go for traffic every time.. Always compare the traffic you get vs PPC...

Some site I work with i'm really happy paying $500 a month for a PR3 .. why.. The traffic converts simple as that..

0103media
25-11-2006, 02:49 PM
That link is an eye opener! Advertising a signature spot open to bids is priceless! :rolleyes:

I works really well ... Trust me.. Its a really cheap way to advertising!..

BTW welcome to my world... :D

FurnitureFarm
25-11-2006, 03:03 PM
If you have used tools like seochat link pricer then you should know is a gudie along with the fact that PR is just a guide..

Yes, I understand that the pricer's only a guide. To be more authoritative it'd need to take the URL to be linked, also, so that relevance could be brought into it's considerations.

I'm not keen on advertising, to me, it's a sign that one:

1. has a badly put together website,
2. is in a hurry, and/or
3. has a low quality product.

We have problems 1 & 2. Work is underway on our website, which is likely to jump our SERPs (and PR), after a few Google'bot cycles. 2, our hurry, is because we invented our product, over twelve years ago, but now we have three UK competitors, on the Web, and annoyingly it's the direct rip-off that's ahead on SERPs (

Thanks for the digitalPoint.com link, it looks like there's a boggling amount of tail-chasing going on in there, but some good stuff too, if one cares to dig it out - I'll likely investigate that later.

FurnitureFarm
25-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Another thing about PR is its only worth something if your trying to sell it on..

Here is yahoo listing @ $299

http://dir.yahoo.com/Regional/Countries/United_Kingdom/Business_and_Economy/Shopping_and_Services/Home_and_Garden/Furnishings/Furniture/Retailers/

PR0
I know that I'm simplifying, but my understanding's that, given a number of pages with similar relevance (to search terms), PR will determine the ordering between them. I think that was about the long'n'short of it, in Google's early days, but now metrics're getting better and better, at looking past keyword spamming etc., to see more reliable/granular/personal relevance, I expect the importance of PR to abate (esp' in light of the impetus toward a dynamic Web 2.0).

Yes, that Yahoo! price is bonkers! We'd go for the level up Furniture, on the grounds that we make and sell. I'd also look at the PR under uk.dir.yahoo.com, hoping that dropping another directory level would help. I don't know the price of that or if there're other benefits, but PR's still a big fat zero :/ So, lots of high conversion traffic'd be required to justify that price.

C'm'on Yahoo! - Persistently contextual groups of Web-pages, bring on the sub-domains!

*sighs: Just another piece of Yahoo! that I'd like a percentage on redesigning/repackaging.

FurnitureFarm
25-11-2006, 04:00 PM
If you take the forums as an example check the PR out then visit all the search engines and type "crafts forum" and look at the serps.. How is it possiable with only a PR3???
Good domain name, good/dynamic content and consistent meta-data gluing the two together! :)

I hope you've snagged CraftsForum.co.XX's for the rest of the British Commonwealth!? That seems like a pretty good route for expansion, from a UK base.

swirlyarts
26-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Eh? :confused: I am the only one who doesn't have a clue what's being talked about here??? :D

FurnitureFarm
26-11-2006, 04:30 AM
doesn't have a clue what's being talked about here?
Hi Swirly - May I recommend an extremely good website at Wikipedia.org - all the jargon's expanded there. Though I'm not guaranteeing you'll like it ;)

Jane_Russell
26-11-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm less bothered about page rank than I am about search results. As long as I'm on the first page on searching then the ranking can do what it likes. My sites are page ranked low but they consistantly come up on the first page for most relevant searches. Usually in the top three results.

Jane

ps
http://tinyurl.com is useful if you have a loooooooonnnnng url you want to post!

0103media
27-11-2006, 01:07 PM
I forgot to add that you get a lot more than one link with any PR..

Look and your see ;)

Most site get between 2-6 PR3 and above links

0103media
27-11-2006, 06:44 PM
If your looking for PR alone why not try that..

$25 a month .. :D

1 PR 6 100's of pr4 etc..

http://www.elegantdirectory.com/orders.php

0103media
29-11-2006, 02:57 PM
www.ukCraftWebsites.co.uk/furniture.php
... has a Google PageRank of only four and ...
www.seoChat.com/seo-tools/link-price
... calculates it as having a value of 8 ($12).

Hold on 1 second... SEO chat say about 8 per month

Our listing costs 5.50 per month or 4.1you 7 a month if you use the yearly subscription..

oh.. I also forgot to mention you get a lot more than 1 link as well ..