PDA

View Full Version : An enquiry for glass people

Seahorse
21-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Do you know where I can get, or could you make me a flat round disk of clear glass with a diameter of 53mm?

carolinemhannon
21-11-2006, 05:09 PM
i can't as i've only got a beginers torch, it wouldn't keep that much glass hot enough to get the size, the biggest i've managed was 30mm and that was a struggle, hopefully someone else can

Seahorse
21-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Hokey cokey, thanks anyhoo.

Seahorse
21-11-2006, 05:19 PM
When my title says 'enquiry for glass people' I dont mean people can only answer if they are made out of glass.
Flesh made people may also respond.

Peter
21-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Give Martin Tuffnell a ring - his website is http://www.tuffnellglass.com - he's done stuff to order for me before for a very good price. :)

Seahorse
21-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Give Martin Tuffnell a ring - his website is http://www.tuffnellglass.com - he's done stuff to order for me before for a very good price. :)

Thank you verily much.

Seahorse
21-11-2006, 05:33 PM
He has been emailed.

carolinemhannon
21-11-2006, 05:37 PM
He has been emailed.

Martin's brill, proberbly beast to email him, if you ring him you could be there for hours, i only inquired about something at the cheshire bead fair and i was still stood there 45 mins later!!!

lovely bloke, he just talks for england

Seahorse
21-11-2006, 05:41 PM
hehe,my boss is the same!

swirlyarts
22-11-2006, 05:16 PM
He is great!! I ordered some teapot beads for my mum for her birthday as she collects teapots and they were fantastic!

Seahorse
22-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Wow!Teapot beads,cool.
Im so tempted to try this glass craft, maybe one day.I need to master one art at least, beofre I move onto the next.Im too flitty flyey.

I think i scared him off with a waffly email, but I shall contact him again as I am waiting for other bits to go with the glass bits ive asked for, so will send him more measurements asap.

swirlyarts
22-11-2006, 05:38 PM
I know - I'm the same. I would love to try making beads but I think I need to concentrate on other things at the mo!

dhumphreysd
11-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Had any joy with your round piece of glass yet?

I'd be willing to give it a go if not

53mm seems a pretty exact size. Does it need to be very accurate and exactly round, bearing in mind it will be hand cut and ground? (hey ...that sort of rhymes!!!!)

Is thickness important?

What's it going to be used for?

Dave

handmadeheaven.biz
11-12-2006, 03:02 PM
sorry, i meant to get back to your PM but totally forgot. i do straight things, not circles. glass likes to break in straight lines so i tend to let it!! :p hope you get it sorted - i did see some pre-cut shapes in The Range the other day. Maybe they'll have something?

Seahorse
11-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks hand.

Ive pm'd you humphry

handmadeheaven.biz
11-12-2006, 03:09 PM
'hand'?! hehe! not been called that before! :p

Seahorse
11-12-2006, 03:10 PM
'hand'?! hehe! not been called that before! :p

Sorry, I have realised lately im getting a little too casual with peoples names(mainly coz Im soo lazy to type it all out)
I hope you dont mind, let me know if you do.

handmadeheaven.biz
11-12-2006, 03:14 PM
it's ok, i'm not offended or anything, it just took me a little while to twig you were talking about me b4!! most people call me steph, that's all :)

dhumphreysd
12-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Hi

Will give it a go at the weekend and send a couple through to you if they turn out OK.

Watch this space

I also know you can get something called 'roundels' in the stained glass trade. They are not usually flat but have a slight relief on then with a flat around the edge (if that makes sense). Could be quite interesting for a pendant though the thickness is usually 5 or 6 mm. There's come up on Ebay from time to time (none at the moment !!) or go onto a good stained glass supplier site. Different colours but sure you can get clear. Have a look and see what you think

Dave

dhumphreysd
19-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Hi Seahorse

Done a couple of discs for you from picture glass and they look ok (even if I say so myself!!). This is around 3mm which should be OK for you. I'll wait for the Christmas post to settle down a bit before sending it to you.

Let me know what you think when you get it

Dave

Peter
19-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Sorry, I have realised lately im getting a little too casual with peoples names(mainly coz Im soo lazy to type it all out)
I hope you dont mind, let me know if you do.

So is that why they measure 'horseys' in 'hands' ?:D